Do Not Buy A Pickup Now!

If you're in the market for a new pickup, hold off for a few weeks.

Ford are on the verge of releasing their all-new T6 platform Ranger, and the competition is gearing-up to release upgraded models to counter Ford's launch.

Within the next few weeks there will be:

An all-new Ranger pickup from Ford (with class-leading features and specs)

A minor change to the Mitsubishi Triton range, with an upgraded EuroIV 2.5L making 165HP and 350/400Nm

A minor change to the entire Hiliux VIGO range.

A nano change to the Isuzu D-Max range.

Read more here: http://www.thaivisa....d/page__st__225

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

The title should be "Do Not Buy a FORD, any model, Now or Anytime".

Don't get me wrong, they are good vehicles IMHO but the Thai's don't like them, so if you hope to trade one in later down the line you will have a big shock, i speak from recent experience!

I had some nagging doubt about buying a Ford, after owning an Isuzu and Toyota previously but after looking around the 2010 top spec Ford Everest i liked the look and the gadgets. I was advised by other forum members that the old chassis, etc, would make for a poor vehicle but for 7 months i liked it and enjoyed driving it, as did my wife. Due to the arrival of 2 four legged friends in the family, i decided that a return to a pick up was needed. After a visit to Isuzu i decided to go full circle and get back behind the wheel of a D-Max, but then the shock came. After only 7 months the value of the Ford had depreciated by almost 40%. My initial thoughts were Isuzu were trying to pull a fast one but my wife called Ford and even if i had gone for another Ford model, this was all they were going to offer, with maybe a few extras thrown in.

Again i am not knocking Ford, it's just they don't do it for the majority of Thais. If you intend on buying one and then running it for life, then the choice is yours. But if you like to change your vehicle every few years, then stay well clear, you will loose 1000's.

The title should be "Do Not Buy a FORD, any model, Now or Anytime".

Don't get me wrong, they are good vehicles IMHO but the Thai's don't like them, so if you hope to trade one in later down the line you will have a big shock, i speak from recent experience!

I had some nagging doubt about buying a Ford, after owning an Isuzu and Toyota previously but after looking around the 2010 top spec Ford Everest i liked the look and the gadgets. I was advised by other forum members that the old chassis, etc, would make for a poor vehicle but for 7 months i liked it and enjoyed driving it, as did my wife. Due to the arrival of 2 four legged friends in the family, i decided that a return to a pick up was needed. After a visit to Isuzu i decided to go full circle and get back behind the wheel of a D-Max, but then the shock came. After only 7 months the value of the Ford had depreciated by almost 40%. My initial thoughts were Isuzu were trying to pull a fast one but my wife called Ford and even if i had gone for another Ford model, this was all they were going to offer, with maybe a few extras thrown in.

Again i am not knocking Ford, it's just they don't do it for the majority of Thais. If you intend on buying one and then running it for life, then the choice is yours. But if you like to change your vehicle every few years, then stay well clear, you will loose 1000's.

That's strange? Both my immediate Thai neighbors had Ford Escapes previously and now one of them has just traded it in for a new Focus Turbo diesel and there's 2 other Fords on my short Soi, seems a blanket statement if there ever was one to me?

As time goes on opinions and perceptions do change with education you know?

Edited by WarpSpeed

Funnily enough my wife and have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab and one of us wanted a Toyota instead.

I lost and we have a Ford and a damned good and reliable truck it is too.

She wanted a Ford and I pointed out that Thais don't really like Fords and she nicely pointed out to me in case I had missed the obvious that she was actually Thai and did like Fords.

Collapse of argument, deflated husband, end of story.

Indeed ^^^, it was my Thai wife who persuaded me to get a Ranger 4x4, I was looking at the Fortuner but since I couldn't have the colour I wanted (blue) with a manual box and leather, she won (got the manual box but no leather and it's black).

Very happy with said vehicle, we've had stuff in the back that I wouldn't have let near a Fortuner :)

Due the recent release and success of the Fiesta, along with the upcoming new pickup, Ford's reputation will be on a positive upswing for years to come.

Besides, any new car you buy and try to sell after 7 months will have a pretty steep depreciation. Even a Toyota will go down 15%+

Brand popularity varies province by province (and even amphur by amphur and ban by ban in some cases) in Thailand.

People generally just follow what's popular in their particular hometown. I could name areas that are Ford, Mitsu or Chev strongholds, others that are 99.9% Isuzu, some where Honda isn't even considered as Toyota reigns supreme etc etc.

Brand popularity varies province by province (and even amphur by amphur and ban by ban in some cases) in Thailand.

People generally just follow what's popular in their particular hometown. I could name areas that are Ford, Mitsu or Chev strongholds, others that are 99.9% Isuzu, some where Honda isn't even considered as Toyota reigns supreme etc etc.

Yes and this also goes along with that education process I mentioned, it's more about what has been the flavor of the day then it is about the actual vehicle and features provided. Toyota, Mitsu, Chevy, Isuzu, et al have all been here longer so it stands to reason they have a larger market share.

^^^ You also overlooked the Focus package especially the diesel which has factored well into that leap forward by Ford in popularity..On a personal note I don't like the Focus rear tail lights and hatch design but it has other qualities it brings to the table that can offset the design short fall..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes and this also goes along with that education process I mentioned, it's more about what has been the flavor of the day then it is about the actual vehicle and features provided. Toyota, Mitsu, Chevy, Isuzu, et al have all been here longer so it stands to reason they have a larger market share.

^^^ You also overlooked the Focus package especially the diesel which has factored well into that leap forward by Ford in popularity..On a personal note I don't like the Focus rear tail lights and hatch design but it has other qualities it brings to the table that can offset the design short fall..

You cant be serious saying Everest is on par with Mitsu Pajero Sport or Toyota Fortuner.

Not in design, not in suspension, not in brakes, not in crash safety and sales figures are less than 5% of the others, a few thousand units in LOS a year.

Who is comparing SUV's? This thread is about pickup trucks..

Post #2 is about Everest, and your reply to this post and Fords popularity in LOS was "opinions and perceptions do change with education you know", and you brought in some suvs and cars. You have made several posts here not concerning pickups, so whats your problem with suvs?

As people get more educated on cars.suvs/pickups, present Everest model sales will not be 5% of the others. Its not on par with competition. Its secondhand value is not only brand popularity, its vehicle sold new almost only on brand loyalty, not on specs or design.

They do concern Fords growth in the market though and that is what I responded to.. A general (read not model specific) comment about Fords lack of Thai interest made by another poster, it seems of several posts since you're the only one that missed that relative perspective....

Edited by WarpSpeed

They do concern Fords growth in the market though and that is what I responded to.. A general (read not model specific) comment about Fords lack of Thai interest made by another poster, it seems of several posts since you're the only one that missed that relative perspective....

Read stats, could make you see the relative perspective

Ford cars (including one month of Fiesta deliverys) is 2179 units so far this year, a few Focus, a handfull Escape and the rest Fiesta. In comparison its 4.365 proton and 3.419 Benz. Before introducing Fiesta Ford didnt even reach the top ten car sales list, IOW less than 1.000 units Jan-Aug 2010. Ford has sold double the amount of Fiesta in one month than Focus the rest of the year. The only model has provided growth in market for Ford past years is Fiesta. Focus not selling very well is it?

Back to topic, pickups

In comparison they v sold 3.826 Ranger compared to 100.338 Vigo and 93.366 DMax

Ford dealers have been served Fiesta and will get the New Ranger T6. Product should sell, lets see if the dealers are able to serve customers.

Edited by katabeachbum

Ford cars (including one month of Fiesta deliverys) is 2179 units so far this year, a few Focus, a handfull Escape and the rest Fiesta.

Of the 2178 Ford cars sold between Jan and September this year, 838 were Fiesta's sold in one month only (September). By that measure, it's a runaway success.

Total Fiesta bookings for September were at 3,500 units, which is exactly how many units of the Toyota Altis minor-change were booked in it's first week back in August. Still for Ford to achieve even 1/4 of Altis bookings is a bit of a coup for a brand that's only been in TH for 15 years, selling a model that has no history at all in the country, and practically no-one even knew was coming.

With the new Ranger being a class-leader (well, on paper at least), and the new Focus coming in a year or so time, and the fact that probably > 95% of Thai's haven't even seen a Fiesta yet, Ford are almost certainly going to come leaps and bounds in market share over the next couple of years.

That's my prediction anyway (and you can hold me to it) :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Ford cars (including one month of Fiesta deliverys) is 2179 units so far this year, a few Focus, a handfull Escape and the rest Fiesta.

Of the 2178 Ford cars sold between Jan and September this year, 838 were Fiesta's sold in one month only (September). By that measure, it's a runaway success.

Total Fiesta bookings for September were at 3,500 units, which is exactly how many units of the Toyota Altis minor-change were booked in it's first week back in August. Still for Ford to achieve even 1/4 of Altis bookings is a bit of a coup for a brand that's only been in TH for 15 years, selling a model that has no history at all in the country, and practically no-one even knew was coming.

With the new Ranger being a class-leader (well, on paper at least), and the new Focus coming in a year or so time, and the fact that probably > 95% of Thai's haven't even seen a Fiesta yet, Ford are almost certainly going to come leaps and bounds in market share over the next couple of years.

agree, they v got the products, lets hope the dealers can handle it

Funnily enough my wife and have a 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4 double cab and one of us wanted a Toyota instead.

She wanted a Ford and I pointed out that Thais don't really like Fords and she nicely pointed out to me in case I had missed the obvious that she was actually Thai and did like Fords.

Now, THAT is what I call negotiation ! :)

OR submission. :lol:

More a case of knowing when to quit or fold your cards.

:thumbsup:

Edited by billd766

Thanks for the relief, well stated :clap2: I'm worn out trying to get the point across..

Pffft!

A quick thinking negotiator in this situation would have turned around and said something like "My ex-girlfirend drove a Ford and now everytime I see one it reminds me of how much I miss her".

Game. Set. Match.

:D

Or <deleted> removed!!! :o

Well depends on how violent your other half can get ;)

You could always tone it down to something like "Every time I see a Ford it reminds me of her legs" or even "Every time I see a Ford she pops back into mind again"

If any of those are still likely to end in a "treasure hunt" and microsurgery, you could always play the sympathy card i.e. "My grandfather was killed by a Ford"

Then again "My Ex-girlfriend LOVES Fords" would probably do it too ;P

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Or <deleted> removed!!! :o

Well depends on how violent your other half can get ;)

You could always tone it down to something like "Every time I see a Ford it reminds me of her legs" or even "Every time I see a Ford she pops back into mind again"

If any of those are still likely to end in a "treasure hunt" and microsurgery, you could always play the sympathy card i.e. "My grandfather was killed by a Ford"

Then again "My Ex-girlfriend LOVES Fords" would probably do it too ;P

Unfortunately you never see it coming, so no second chance for rephrasing which requires very careful wording :( ...Vindictive buggers :crying: ..

Unfortunately you never see it coming, so no second chance for rephrasing which requires very careful wording :( ...Vindictive buggers :crying: ..

I suspect you're quite correct - I mean a Thai woman that has a thing for Fords has to be fairly unpredictable ;P

OR has fond memories of a Ford Thunderbird. :giggle:

.. that she inherited from her late husband, after that shocking tragedy in the kitchen.. ;)