Be Careful When Selling Bike

KHUNDAN

Just want to post this so others don't have to go through what I am currently going through.

I sold a Yamaha 750 Special to another Farang nearly 4 years ago. He was in Phukett and I was in Burirum, so he posted the money to my account and I shipped the bike to him with the book and the forms filled out where I needed to in order for him to transfer the bike to his name.

Well he never did this and last paid taxes on the bike over 3 years ago in Phukett.

I received a notice from the Land Transportation Office that told me this and say I am still responsible since the book was never changed over to another persons name. Should the bike be involved in an accident or any other situation then I would be the one responsible?

So now I have to go to the Land Transportation Office in Bangkok and fill out a form that states I lost the tag and the book and then they will take it out of the system and no one will be able to re-register the bike.

I have no idea of whom the guy was that bought her as it has been so long and I gave him all the paperwork he needed in order to register it into his name.

I hope the guy is not still riding her as I will have her taken out of the system this week in order to protect myself plus I will have to pay a 1,000 Baht fine and the back taxes he has not paid.

I sold the bike via BahtSold.com and have asked them can they tell me who bought it as then I can try and contact him to let him know. So if I do not get a response withing a couple days I have no other option but to cancel the bike registration.

Just wanted to forewarn others that sell bikes.

Dan

I had a similar situation about 6 years ago.

I sold a Yamaha Nouvo MX to a Thai lad, 2 years later I received a letter detailing the same as yours. Lucky for me the lads family lived quite close so I dropped in on his families door step with a Thai friend to help explain and thankfully it was all resolved quickly.

Since then any bike that I or my girlfriend have sold one of us has accompanied the buyer to the local transport office to hand in the book and all paperwork at the same time as the bike is handed over to the new owner. Actually, on one occasion last year I sold a bike, an Airblade, on a Saturday and they wanted to take it there and then so we used a local dealer to handle the transfer, that cost us 1,000 baht as a 'handling fee'.

Our advice to other bike or car sellers for that matter is; never, ever, leave it to the other party to get the paperwork and vehicle registration sorted by themsleves

And, as for buyers not having the correct paperwork to be able to purchase or register a bike, don't bother buying until you do, and rent in the meantime.

My girlfriend is currently selling a Honda PCX and she refused to sell it to one person last Friday because they don't have what's required by our local transport office to register the bike. The individual wasn't particularly happy and was waving the money in her face - she adamantly stated 'NO PAPERWORK, NO BIKE' and left them at the office.

I hope it all gets sorted Khundan, without any further repercussions.

Edited by kinkers

Why you not go to police and tell someone stole it together with the papers? :lol:

Than they see easy at the next police check what problems go on if not register the bike on the own name and you got it back!!!

:whistling:

Thanks, Snowgard, but I try my best to be honest in all I do and not to lie or fabricate anything!

For the final update to all:

I went to the LTO in Bangkok this am with my secretary and she filled out a form in Thai that states I no longer have the bike nor the book and number plate plus provided a copy of my passport/Visa. The we were directed to window number 3 in Building 3 where I paid 372 baht in back taxes on the bike and they removed the registration from the system.

I was told the bike can NEVER be re-registered, not can taxes be paid or anything else now that it has been removed from the system. They also told me if the bike is caught on the streets of Thailand the bike would be confiscated and disposed of.

I hope whomever has this Yamaha XJ750 Chopper now does not lose it if he is a 2nd buyer or someone that bought from the person I sold to as the bike is of no use now.

I WILL NEVER sell another Vehicle bike/car etc. without changing the book over at the same time. Lesson learned.

So the end was not so bad and was easily done and yes I am always dressed nice and always speak politely when doing any business transactions.

Take care and hope this helps others in the future.

Don't be an idiot like I was and trust others to do what's right.

Dan

So the upshot is ??

Worst case.. If they dont rereg.. AND if they dont annually tax (meaning off the road usually) I MIGHT have to go and pay a couple hundred baht ??

Yeah thats really worth me turning down bike sales, not selling a bike by post, or even bothering to go to the LTO myself..

if the buyer wants to head off with the bike and green book and not accompany u to change the ownnership details at the local office heres what u should do for your own peace of mind

have him and u fill in the change of ownership document and power of attorney sheet that u should get hold of before u put the bike up for sale ...u can get these free from the local transport office

photocopy both these completed documents for u to keep..........he takes away the originals and the green book

get a signed photocopy of his passport..............if he is worried about leaving u with a copy tell him to notarise across the photocopy ...." this copy for motorcycle sale only and the date the deal is done

this will protect u if theres any comeback at a future date.............ideally though its better to change ownwership at the transport office when the deal is struck