Is Ipad A Solution For My Needs?

djinn

^it does ship w/windows7 pro. Any rate prob far better than the IPAD, but the price is too much in order to give the IPAD a run for it's dosh. I'd priced it in the $400-$500 range. Anyways if a slate is your thing I think this will be a better option if you are willing to pay the price. ;)

^it does ship w/windows7 pro. Any rate prob far better than the IPAD, but the price is too much in order to give the IPAD a run for it's dosh. I'd priced it in the $400-$500 range. Anyways if a slate is your thing I think this will be a better option if you are willing to pay the price. ;)

How is Windows 7 on a tablet "much better" than an iPad? Where the iPad's swipe and tap is much more efficient than using a desktop computer with a mouse, this is going the opposite direction, it's much more cumbersome to hit those little widgets with the stylus, let alone your finger. Windows on tablets has been a tried and proven failure for a very long time.... to me it looks like an overpriced yet-another-windows-tablet. Maybe I'm missing something here?

^let's see before we judge? ;)

It wasn't a rhetorical question - why did you assume it would be much better? I guess I don't see where that would be coming from, given that windows tablets over the last decade have been, without exception, turds. Same-old, same-old all over that spec sheet.

The only interesting thing would be a WebOS based one but like I said, that's not available.

^well nikster you are assuming it is the same as previous attempts, however I surmise you will see smth much better that might be better than the IPAD.

I'm not a big fan of HP, personally I would see what ASUS has to offer since I am a big fan of their products.

^well nikster you are assuming it is the same as previous attempts, however I surmise you will see smth much better that might be better than the IPAD.

Here's what it looks like to me: HP tried to develop an iPad competitor using WebOS which they bought along with Palm. Then some point down the road, they figured there was simply no way they could do this in time. They realized the enormity of the task. Then they said, oh well, let's slap Windows on it, and call it another Windows tablet. The model doesn't work well (at all) - but hey, at least we can say we have a tablet. It's mostly there to tell analysts that HP is in the game when it comes to tablets.

The computerworld article pretty much says that too: It looks exactly like some suit decided to order engineering to come up with a tablet, and they delivered a tablet. Everyone can cash in their bonus. And the me-too device will sell very badly and be discontinued this time next year. They can then blame that on Windows.

Eventually, the WebOS based version might emerge from HP - though with the current lack of leadership, I have my doubts about that, too.

My prediction is there will be nothing like the iPad from anybody until Google releases their Android for tablets mid next year. Google has fantastic engineers, and Google can pull off great software, and they have lots of things in Android already that they can just use in a tablet as-is, like an app store. The problem is software - all the hardware manufacturers can easily pull off hardware like the iPad, and they know it. They just don't have the software, or the expertise to develop software or even to adapt Android.