Is Ipad A Solution For My Needs?

djinn

I am a microsoft /PC user .My laptop decided to strike. :(

So I have to find a solution for my needs now

I don’t know anything about the Apple world.

Could some Apple/Ipad user help me to see if Ipad can be the solution for me

I need

-to view/load movies registered on USB external disk.I know there is a VLC app ;so on software stand point it would be OK.But transferring from a USB disk????

-to view PDF files coming from USB disks

-Firefox (so much good apps in it)

-read and modify excel and word files and sent them back to the PC desktop for further modifications

Thanks in advance guys :jap:

Lotta questions there, bubba! :rolleyes:

I have been a diehard PC user for decades. I used to fix the old IBM PC Junior with infrared keyboard way back in 83 or 84.

Anyways, I have the IPAD. I use it daily. How I lived without it I cannot tell you.

Now, to answer you questions.

You cannot transfer directly from a USB disk, unless it is plugged in to your pc. Several programs for that, including IDISK. Within Itunes you go to your ipad, and from the bottom, you have an area for apps that share data with your computer. Simply copy files from the usb disk off your pc´s usb port directly to the program (in this case, idisk). There are several other programs that do that as well.

Viewing pdf files from usb. Basically same answer as above. You need to copy them first to the ipad prior to reading / editing.

I doubt firefox will ever be released for the ipad. Time will tell. I use Atomic browser. google it. Great little browser.

Read and modify word and excel. Sure.. apps like "documents to go" and "office 2 HD" do that well.

I use goodreader for viewing. But now they have updated it so you can now annotate pdf files, even encrypted ones!

Good luck.

Thanks Somtamnication,

It seems Ipad could be a solution

My laptop seems to come back to life.So will wait till end of the year for the next Ipad.

I think I could beat you about computer use.I remember typing punch cards on an IBM 3XX around 1976 during my engineering studies.My first experience on a personal computer was on an Apple 2E (Multiplan) in 1981.Since then,never eaten an apple anymore (in the computer area at least ;) )

Thanks Somtamnication,

It seems Ipad could be a solution

My laptop seems to come back to life.So will wait till end of the year for the next Ipad.

I think I could beat you about computer use.I remember typing punch cards on an IBM 3XX around 1976 during my engineering studies.My first experience on a personal computer was on an Apple 2E (Multiplan) in 1981.Since then,never eaten an apple anymore (in the computer area at least ;) )

Yeah, you pretty old. ha ha

Yes it will work, provided you have a PC desktop.

The iPad can do all these things, though you will probably have to make some modifications to your workflow. You can transfer files through iTunes.

The only drawback to the iPad IMO is that you need a "host" computer that the iPad is synced to - it doesn't as of yet work standalone. There's only very little missing to make it work independently, but not yet. I am guessing in 1 or 2 years when Apple has worked out how to do it - there may be some networking / cloud storage involved. In any case, not working as of yet.

Honestly, I think that if you already have a main machine, and only need the portable one occasionally, the iPad is better than any laptop. That's what it was made for.

On the other hand, if you have always been an Microsoft user you may find that changing to and working with Apple Mac to be quite challenging.

They are two very different systems.

Doubt it. They have different quirks - and the Mac has way fewer of them - but that's about it. The iPad is a completely different paradigm altogether so it doesn't matter very much whether you come from Windows or Mac.

I agree with Canuck, new tablets with more features, less limitations and more user friendly are on the way in the very next months. I'm waiting to buy one!

I don't think any of the non-Apple tablets are going to work very well for at least another one or two years. More likely 2. The challenges involved are substantial, and what Apple has done is not easy to copy - particularly not if you don't have your own OS - if you're just some hardware company trying to shoehorn Android into a tablet, or Windows (which has failed on tablets for more than a decade).

So what is going to happen is that Apple will bring in better iPads - cameras are a given, at the very least a front facing one for killer skype / iChat / FaceTime. Maybe they'll also provide better USB integration - even now, the USB port on the iPad is actually a generic USB with the camera connection kit. It's just that the software on the machine doesn't know what to do with it. But even now, there are many unofficial features possible with the so-called camera connection kit. It should really be called generic USB port kit. Google it.

Copying the iPad hardware isn't all that hard. But the software is going to be a huge challenge. I don't see a hardware firm rising up to the task to be honest. The main reason is that Apple has full control over their OS, they've used in the iPhone but it was always intended for tablets - no leap of engineering there. Apple also has a very strong engineering team, and everyone's pulling in the same direction. All of this is lacking in the Android space. Android was developed for phones, and has only gained all the whiz bang features it has now after the iPhone was introduced. Google never intended to put it on a tablet. I am sure they're working on it now, and they better be because Google really is the only company that has the expertise to create a tablet OS that can compete with Apple. I just think they got blindsided by the iPad just like the rest of the industry. Android tablets will take off once Google releases an official tablet version of Android - I haven't even heard they work on it though, let alone any announcement.

Unlike any of the other hardware manufacturers, Apple understands software. They've been milking this advantage to no end, yet it still seems to be a mystery for the competition. Apple knows that they're a software company, by and large. That's where their advantage is.

Thanks to all the contributors of this thread

You really opened my eyes

It seems it is urgent...to wait before investing in the Ipad gadget

This machine is made for staying in the Apple world to generate a max of revenues through Itunes and the apps store.

I could do everything (except browsing...flash issue...) I need but as mentioned by Traxster will have to play with bits and pieces of various softwares ;will have to change all my habits especially for the USB link

And the mess about the GPS mentioned in an other thread from TV doesn't seem encouraging

If nothing more convincing in the next months,I think I will buy an "ultra portable"PC (11 /12 inches; 4,5 h on batteries.....,;1,4 kg).Lot of hard to choose from.

cheers :jap:

djinn

This machine is made for staying in the Apple world to generate a max of revenues through Itunes and the apps store.

No. It's made to work as well as it can as a tablet. That's the Apple philosophy. In order to do that, Apple has changed lots of stuff, including how to interact with the device and with external files. They've re-invented the computer. Anyway, no matter what anyone says, it's very easy to see where Apple makes money - all this information is public. It's 90% hardware. That's where they make money. Not iTunes and not the app store - those are just vehicles to sell more hardware.

But, yes, you're totally right that you'd need to change how you do things in order to use an iPad for your purposes. I think it would be easy and painless - certainly much more painless than a separate Windows laptop - but people are different and for you it might be the other way around.

Explaining the iPad really isn't easy - it's not how well it can do what laptops can do, it's not how it can reach parity with the PC world - it's about what it does above and beyond what laptops do that make it an outstanding device. It's something new, and it's something better. But it's still in version 1, and there are glitches when the old world and the new world collide. It is a bit of a bleeding edge product.

best, N.

^IPAD is just a big iphone or ipod touch, nothing more. :lol:

Anyways to the OP if you can wait - the HP Slate will be arriving shortly and it looks wicked. Then again prob better to wait for a bit and see the reviews and feedback from users. However you have the right consensus that a netbook or ultra portable can do so much more. IPAD is more for multi media capabilities.

a netbook or ultra portable can do so much more. IPAD is more for multi media capabilities.

hmm..

So we have a full office suite for iPad. We have iMovie video editing, Mail, Browsing (Way better than on a netbook), Dropbox, Photos, Calendars/organiser, YouTube, Facebook, Photo editing, Yahoo messenger, Skype, MSN, Games, Music playback, Pandora, Netflix, ABC, BBC iplayer etc. etc.

You get the point. So how does the netbook do so much more??

The only thing a NETBOOK does over the ipad is all the above but slower :)

Edited by negreanu

^IPAD is just a big iphone or ipod touch, nothing more. :lol:

Translation: I don't have one.

Whereas the HP slate, of unknown size, unknown price, unknown features, unknown operating system ... Will be great. For sure. Just look at HPs track record! They made mighty fine calculators back in the day... And now with the guy who almost ruined SAP at the helm, what could possibly go wrong... :P sorry for the sarcasm but HP is going to struggle in the near future. They had a great CEO who made them #1 PC maker, then they fired him.... Total idiots.

:whistling:

HP Slate 500 PC

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 and PalmPre WebOS

Display 8.9-inch WSVGA 1024x600 resolution

Processor 1.6GHz Intel Atom Menlow Z530

Video Playback 1080p

RAM HP Slate 500 is 1GB (DDR2) RAM

Internal Storage 32/64GB flash memory, upgradable via SD card reader

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g 802.11a/b/g/n

Ports SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader up to 128GB, 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack 1 USB 2.0 port dock connector (power, audio in/out, HDMI out, USB), conventional SIM card tray for use with optional WWAN

Weight 0.67 kg/1.49lb

Battery 2-cell 30WHr polymer battery but only gives more than 5 hours of backup

Camera VGA webcam inward-facing camera (may be of 16-megapixel) and 3-megapixel outward facing camera

Price $549 to $599

The issue with the Ipad is that the software available is built SPECIFICALLY for the IPAD and iOS. For the most part, software for the Ipad is more reliable. I do have some bugs in mine, but for the most part, far more stable than software in Windows, with a plethora of machines to choose from.

Yes, the camera would be nice. Yes, direct USB plug capability would be nice. I went for reliability. It is like learning Chinese. You have to completely change your way of thinking before you learn it.

a netbook or ultra portable can do so much more. IPAD is more for multi media capabilities.

hmm..

So we have a full office suite for iPad. We have iMovie video editing, Mail, Browsing (Way better than on a netbook), Dropbox, Photos, Calendars/organiser, YouTube, Facebook, Photo editing, Yahoo messenger, Skype, MSN, Games, Music playback, Pandora, Netflix, ABC, BBC iplayer etc. etc.

You get the point. So how does the netbook do so much more??

The only thing a NETBOOK does over the ipad is all the above but slower :)

I hope I am not hijacking the thread but.........

I have just recently bought an I pad and one of the major draw backs was a total lack of suporting documentation for a newbie like myself. I see you say you can use Skype, excuse my ignorance but where is the microphone, is this something I have totally missed on my new toy?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Edited to add, yep found it now

Edited by RabC

No. It's made to work as well as it can as a tablet. That's the Apple philosophy. In order to do that, Apple has changed lots of stuff, including how to interact with the device and with external files. They've re-invented the computer. Anyway, no matter what anyone says, it's very easy to see where Apple makes money - all this information is public. It's 90% hardware. That's where they make money. Not iTunes and not the app store - those are just vehicles to sell more hardware.

But, yes, you're totally right that you'd need to change how you do things in order to use an iPad for your purposes. I think it would be easy and painless - certainly much more painless than a separate Windows laptop - but people are different and for you it might be the other way around.

Explaining the iPad really isn't easy - it's not how well it can do what laptops can do, it's not how it can reach parity with the PC world - it's about what it does above and beyond what laptops do that make it an outstanding device. It's something new, and it's something better. But it's still in version 1, and there are glitches when the old world and the new world collide. It is a bit of a bleeding edge product.

best, N.

Sniff, Your blind devotion to the Apple touched me :crying:

best, N.

Sniff, Your blind devotion to the Apple touched me :crying:

Happy my post touched you, unfortunately you seem to have misunderstood most of it. No blind devotion to any one company - only to amazing products :)

An IPad is a very limited device - I would not use it as my only computer...

Wait til the 20th... Apple will unveil its new Macbook Air line... There is talk of a 11 inch model that may suit you better...

Yes, that's my only criticism. iPad needs a host computer. That's annoying - it seems like very little is missing for a true standalone pad.

New MacBook Air will be killer but like I said - the best things about the iPad are what it does way better than any laptop. Touch UI is just much more efficient for many things, and the instant-ness of everything makes a huge difference as well.

I recently filled in a web form, and had to get the address of a friend to put in the address field. On the iPad, that's home button, address book, look for address, copy, switch back to browser, paste. It's not even real multi-tasking as all apps get shut down when not in use. But they restart where you left off, and they launch instantly, so it seems like multi tasking. The whole process was much faster and more elegant than it would be on my 17" laptop. There are many examples like that, where the iPad way just works better. Scrolling through photos with pinch zoom and swipes is another example. Back in the photo app on your computer you start to wonder why it's so slow, and clumsy, fumbling around with that mouse pointer.

Yes, that's my only criticism. iPad needs a host computer.

And an external adapter to provide USB and SD card slots. Unforgivable!

I know, I know. But the iPad is just soooo close to being a standalone little laptop replacement. Except it needs to sync with iTunes, which means you need a host computer running iTunes.

Take my wife. She has a laptop mostly to manage her music. Import music, and sync it with the various i-devices (iPods, iPhones, iPads...). She checks email once every blue moon but is more likely to do that on the phone anyway. Facebook too. A little bit of websurfing. That's all she does. If there wasn't a need for a host machine, I could just get her an iPad once her current computer dies. But... no.

Anyway I hope the standalone iPad is coming. It would be much better for managing music - they'd need to make an iTunes version for it of course. But if you solved the import problem - see above, it's already almost working with the USB - then she could have all her music on the iPad and I imagine an iTunes app with a touch interface would work 10 times better than the one on the laptop. You read it here first ;)

:whistling:

HP Slate 500 PC

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 and PalmPre WebOS

Display 8.9-inch WSVGA 1024x600 resolution

Processor 1.6GHz Intel Atom Menlow Z530

Video Playback 1080p

RAM HP Slate 500 is 1GB (DDR2) RAM

Internal Storage 32/64GB flash memory, upgradable via SD card reader

Wi-Fi 802.11b/g 802.11a/b/g/n

Ports SD/SDHC/SDXC card reader up to 128GB, 3.5mm headphone/microphone jack 1 USB 2.0 port dock connector (power, audio in/out, HDMI out, USB), conventional SIM card tray for use with optional WWAN

Weight 0.67 kg/1.49lb

Battery 2-cell 30WHr polymer battery but only gives more than 5 hours of backup

Camera VGA webcam inward-facing camera (may be of 16-megapixel) and 3-megapixel outward facing camera

Price $549 to $599

It's out except for $799

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/21/hp-slate-finally-finally-official-rings-up-at-799/

I didn't expect much from a HP slate but this is ridiculous. It doesn't even come with a OS preinstalled. Because it's "for business". But the screenshots show it with Windows 7, and quite frankly it doesn't seem to be any kind of special tablet edition - it looks just like on the desktop. I can't imagine the experience of fritzing around with tiny windows icons as anything but crappy. I mean this is the same thing that the Windows PC world has tried since Bill Gates declared tablets the future of computing 10 years ago. Shoehorning Windows into a tablet has not worked for the last decade, and it's not going to work going forward either. The same thing that's failed for the last decade - you can get it now from HP. For $799.

The hardware alone is OK, if a little expensive, so I guess there's some hope for a revamped Palm OS running on this. But that's just vaporware at this point.