Has Anybody Ever Caught The Train To Pattaya ?

xen

Just been thinking that it may be another unusual experience to catch the train to Pattaya, leaving BKK early morning . Has anybody else ever caught the train and is it worth the 37 baht fare ?

I never did do it but a colleague did and apparently it is a slow "interesting" journey.

For 37 Baht all you will be wasting is some of your time but gaining an experience.

So it's worth is how much you put on gaining life experiences. Do it I say, I wish I had.

It obviously is not one of the great train journeys of the world . A rather pointless exercise that the full significance does not hit you untill after the experience. However I will do it one day for sure.

I was curious because somebody must use the train and this train line wouldn't be the only reason Thai Rail runs at a loss. Perhaps as U - Tappo becomes more important for international flights and freight, then the line thru to U -Tappo and beyond to Ranong will be re-opened or extended .

Edited by xen

It obviously is not one of the great train journeys of the world . A rather pointless exercise that the full significance does not hit you untill after the experience. However I will do it one day for sure.

I was curious because somebody must use the train and this train line wouldn't be the only reason Thai Rail runs at a loss. Perhaps as U - Tappo becomes more important for international flights and freight, then the line thru to U -Tappo and beyond to Ranong will be re-opened or extended .

I hope it doesn't get busier on the line from Pattaya to U- Tapao , one train in each direction is enough, as the line is only a matter of metres from my front door.

I did it back in May.

Rode the train from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok in the afternoon, and checked into here for the night: http://www.thetraininn.com/room.php

When exiting out of the train station, make two lefts and follow the wall-line for about 50 meters; the inn will be on your right.

Had pork noodle soup and a big Leo for dinner at the nearby noodle shop, read a book and crashed for the night.

Went to the train station early, minimart’ed it for breakfast/coffee, read some more on the train.

Train did stop quite a bit, weather was nice and warm, and we had just the right amount of good ‘ol diesel smoke to inhale.

After arriving at the Pattaya station, we had to wait for about 10 minutes for some minivans to arrive and ferry the passengers around Pattaya.

Pretty uneventful ride.

It really boils down to how much time you have to burn vs. how much you want to spend getting to Pattaya.

I had all the time in the world, was going to be at the train station anyway, and no matter what city I was in would have had to rent a room to sleep in and spend a few baht on food, so worked out just fine for me.

Good train info website www.seat61.com

I did it back in May.

Rode the train from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok in the afternoon, and checked into here for the night: http://www.thetraininn.com/room.php

When exiting out of the train station, make two lefts and follow the wall-line for about 50 meters; the inn will be on your right.

Had pork noodle soup and a big Leo for dinner at the nearby noodle shop, read a book and crashed for the night.

Went to the train station early, minimarted it for breakfast/coffee, read some more on the train.

Train did stop quite a bit, weather was nice and warm, and we had just the right amount of good ol diesel smoke to inhale.

After arriving at the Pattaya station, we had to wait for about 10 minutes for some minivans to arrive and ferry the passengers around Pattaya.

Pretty uneventful ride.

It really boils down to how much time you have to burn vs. how much you want to spend getting to Pattaya.

I had all the time in the world, was going to be at the train station anyway, and no matter what city I was in would have had to rent a room to sleep in and spend a few baht on food, so worked out just fine for me.

Thanks for the hotel link, very useful.

The train from Bangkok to Pattaya is an experience, provided you are not in a hurry. It leaves at 0655 as train number 283 and arrives Pattaya at 1035. It also calls at Pattaya Tai, oficially a station but little more than a lump of concrete on the south side of the level rossing where the line intersects Soi 87, at 1040. It returns as train 284 from there at 1414, departs Pattaya at 1421 and is due Bangkok 1825.

The trains run Mndays to Fridays only, and I'm not sure if they operate on public holidays either. They are normally formed with a locomotive and about 6 coaches.

There's no buffet car, but plenty of self employed food vendors on board. The accommodation is advertised at third class only, but it has been known to convey a composite coach (half second class and the other half third), for which you may be charged extra if you wish to avail yourself of the relative comfort of the second class seating.

Links the the timetables here.

From Bangkok http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/Neggo.pdf

To Bangkok http://www.railway.co.th/timetable/Negre.pdf

They are in Thai but not too difficult to understand. Some stations are also shown in English.

Edited by Nuff Said

good grief, I've met some cheapskates in my day, but some of the posts in this topic are beyond belief.

'splash out' the 120THB (or whatever it is) and take the bus.

Exactly.

Why would anyone opt for a train; Pattaya-BKK?

Maybe they take Mountain Bikes! ??

good grief, I've met some cheapskates in my day, but some of the posts in this topic are beyond belief.

I for one appreciate the chance to see areas that are not usually seen from car or bus windows. A lady I like gets car sick and I look forward to finding out if a train ride will suit her better.

Train transport would not necessarily be less expensive for me than other means. I like the idea of a sleeper cabin and the comfort it affords

If nothing else it would be a new experience for me in LOS.

Did you check out the car 61.com site and it.s accompanying videos?

Cheers.

I did it back in May.

Went to the train station early, minimart'ed it for breakfast/coffee, read some more on the train.

Train did stop quite a bit, weather was nice and warm, and we had just the right amount of good 'ol diesel smoke to inhale.

Pretty uneventful ride.

thanks dogg for posting this worthwhile info and links. I've asked others about train travel in LOS and only got blank looks I bookmarked both of your links for future use.

Exactly.

Why would anyone opt for a train; Pattaya-BKK?

Maybe they take Mountain Bikes! ??

I don't think it's about cheap skates. Might be some one would like to do something different and they're not in so much of a rush to get to Patts.

I did it back in May.

Went to the train station early, minimart'ed it for breakfast/coffee, read some more on the train.

Train did stop quite a bit, weather was nice and warm, and we had just the right amount of good 'ol diesel smoke to inhale.

Pretty uneventful ride.

thanks dogg for posting this worthwhile info and links. I've asked others about train travel in LOS and only got blank looks I bookmarked both of your links for future use.

There are 11 passenger railway lines in Thailand.Most of the monor ones are 3rd class only, but very interesting trips .I have travelled on all of them ,with great pleasure

I would have been riding it just out of interest and as a "true cultural experience".

but as it leaves HuaLamphong daily at 6.55 a.m., this means I would have to leave my home at 5.00 a.m. to catch it.

so somehow my enthusiasm faded away..... ^_^

but as a high-speed-rail-system between BKK and Rayong is on the drawboard, this train might be history sooner or later anyway.....