Need Thai Stock Market Trading Tools Please.

Hey folks,

I have a friend that trades the SET equities and has been talking to me about it.

Unfortunately I have been unable to find what I need to get started in researching the stocks.

I am a technical analysis type of trader, and have been doing S&P 500 (U.S.) stocks for awhile now.

Here is what I am looking for:

1. A “screener” or “scanner”.

The biggest thing that I need to be able to do a scan for is oversold/overbought stochastic levels.

Here is what I currently use for U.S. stocks: http://finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=211&f=idx_sp500,ta_rsi_os40&ft=4

I substitute with the RSI level to narrow down my search (since they don’t have a stochastic level option) and then pull up the stock on my charting site to see what level the stochtastics are at.

If anyone knows of a site that automatically plots trend lines, as the website above does, then that would be a great added bonus.

2. Next, a good charting service like this: http://www.freestockcharts.com/

3. Recommended brokers and commission cost.

I have used quiet a few for U.S. stocks (TD Ameritrade, Etrade, Zecco, ThinkorSwim and Interactive Brokers). I prefer Interactive Brokers for their really low commissions, but was surprised and saddened to learn that they didn’t support Thai stocks.

Thanks for any info!

The volumes of the S&P probably warrant free websites which survive off ads but I doubt the size of the SET would. I'm not saying such websites don't exist, just offering to you that you may have to buy licensed software such as Bisnews or get a Bloomberg subscription.

For the SET, the only thing i have found so far are ft.com and bloomberg.com- both of these cover the SET and have basic charting data. Id also be intersted in learning about other tools available...

My broker Phatra Direct has a charting software that can be accessed via liberty.bisnews.com. It took me a while to get it running, as my Java version was not able to open it, but now I can access it. I have to say I am quite happy with the service of Phatra, as well as the charting software.

I am not sure if this is the same software that is also used by other Brokers or if there are any others being used.

A stock screener as mentioned by the OP would be one thing that I am looking for as well.

Unfortunately, there are not many tools or websites available for traders of the SET.

I use Metastock and it has loads of indicators. Also with scanning and backtesting. You can write your own indicators and EA. Got 15 years of historical SET data from Philip Securities and my broker ASP have daily EOD for free that I can download every day.

This is useful info- thx. How much do you pay for the software and data service from Philip? Have you found your returns increase since using the software?

I use Metastock and it has loads of indicators. Also with scanning and backtesting. You can write your own indicators and EA. Got 15 years of historical SET data from Philip Securities and my broker ASP have daily EOD for free that I can download every day.

This is useful info- thx. How much do you pay for the software and data service from Philip? Have you found your returns increase since using the software?

I'd appreciate also, if maipasathai could clarify. Looking at their website, it doesnt seem like they offer real time feeds into 3rd party apps such as Metastock or Excel. Bisnews and Investor.co.th seem to offer real-time quotes and also bid/offer updates up to level 5. It's not too expensive at ~1200Bt per month. Does anyone know of a broker offering electronic order execution (direct market access) via APIs (ie NOT using the broker's online order form, but rather their protocol, eg FIX, to place orders) to non-SET members?

Obviously the latter could be achieved via some hacking and subclassing, but requires maintenance over time which I'd like to avoid as I dont have the nerves/ time to do it.

Cheers!

Edited by emsfeld

I got my Metastock from Philips http://www.scoreboard.in.th/

22000 THB for the software 1500 for the historical data. They had a 10.1 EOD and as I don’t need all the whistles and bells in the new 11 version I went for it. Later they found out that the license for my program was used by Philips themselves so now they have to send me another program (ver 11) so don’t know if they are still supplying Metastock but they are still supplying EOD and historical.

If interested you can get it from US (google metasock equis). The EOD version comes for 499 USD version and there is also a intraday version.

Seems as Equis is part of Reuters so you can subscribe for live feed data from almost any market in the world.

For direct order execution and program trading I think it will be difficult. Read somewhere on SET regulation that programmed trading wasn’t allowed.

For direct order execution and program trading I think it will be difficult. Read somewhere on SET regulation that programmed trading wasn't allowed.

It is allowed, but thus far accessible to SET members only, ie brokers, market makers and the like. 'Direct order execution' could be hack-enabled only to some extent which would basically be the message transmission leg from your end to the broker (and back). Not sure what sort of latency one would get as a lot would be due to the last leg (broker-exchange-broker). This is just very tedious work. Thus far I have only done midterm-oriented trading on the SET, due to these (technological) limitations, but want to break into the higher frequency space once infrastructure supports it.

To those who day-trade, what sort of latencies do you get? How long for market orders to be executed and how long for your limit orders to enter the market order book? I'd appreciate if someone could tell us some stats.

Cheers!

Edited by emsfeld