A Report On A Recent Retirement Extension

Recently I got some good information from the serious forum users here, about one year Retirement Extensions. Since this apparently is the easiest and least painfull way that most long-term Expats use in order to live here, I decided to go for it myself after some years of using one year multiple entry Non-Imm. O's. Now, having just gotten back from Mae Sai I thought it might be useful to others if I gave a report on it.

It took a total of about 30 minutes from start to finish, and I walked out with the Retirement Estension (1.900b) and a multiple re-entry permit (3,800b) stamped in my Passport. Expecting a big hassle and several days of back and forth, I was happily surprised, and celebrated with a bowl of Khao Soy Gia and a bottle of Beer Leo at the eatery over the shops next to the river and bridge.

As advised, I applied in the middle of the last month of my then current permit to stay, and I arrived in mid-afternoon. With the prerequisite smile on my face and a pleasant Sawadee Khrup, I had in hand the original of the income affadavit from the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mae, the TM7 application form with a 2" x 2" photo, the TM8 re-entry form with attached 2" x2" photo (both previously downloaded, both printed on front and back of the paper - filled out and signed), my passport with the stamped on the back Departure Card stapled inside, and a copy of the passport photo page, the visa page, and the entry/permit to stay page. This was all the man required of me, although I was armed with Thai bankbooks, a stateside bank statement, extra copies of everything and a house rental agreement I wrote up for this purpose - signed by the owner (my Thai better half), and she came along with me, armed with her housebook and ID card as well as copies of them. Having her along surely facilitated things I am sure, but none of these other things were asked for, and only one copy of everything was needed.

Of course someone else's experience could well be quite different as we all know, and mine may well have been too on different day or with a different immigration officer.

Hope this helps someone.

Petruchio

The retirement visa depends on your bank balance i.e. 800 K THB. and that figure must have been in your bank A/c 3 months prior to the annual retirement visa renewal, on your first retirement visa application that figure is 2 months.

The presence of your better half, and her documents play no role at all regarding the retirement visa, it is entirely a financial matter i.e. 800K THB.

As to the 30 minutes waiting time you mentioned, are you referring to the time spend in front of the officers desk whilst he/she completed the paper work, or was this the entire waiting time including your place in the queue.

If it was the former then that is the normal working time span to complete and finalise the retirement visa.

If it was the latter, that indicates that you were the only applicant at the immigration office at this time, that would be very strange and somewhat unusual, nevertheless, if so, it was your lucky day which might not be repeatable.

Edited by personchester

The retirement visa depends on your bank balance i.e. 800 K THB. and that figure must have been in your bank A/c 3 months prior to the annual retirement visa renewal, on your first retirement visa application that figure is 2 months.

The presence of your better half, and her documents play no role at all regarding the retirement visa, it is entirely a financial matter i.e. 800K THB.

As to the 30 minutes waiting time you mentioned, are you referring to the time spend in front of the officers desk whilst he/she completed the paper work, or was this the entire waiting time including your place in the queue.

If it was the former then that is the normal working time span to complete and finalise the retirement visa.

However, if it was the latter, that indicates that you were the only applicant at the immigration office at this time, that would indeed be very strange and somewhat unusual, nevertheless, if so, then this was your lucky day which might not be repeatable.

Thanks for the info. I will be going to Mae Sai to extend my Retirement Visa early next year.

How long in advance of your visit to Mae Sai Immigration did you get your income affidavit from the U.S. Consulate in Chiang Mai?

I am wondering how long they are good for. I heard 30 days, but I am not sure.

However, if it was the latter, that indicates that you were the only applicant at the immigration office at this time, that would indeed be very strange and somewhat unusual, nevertheless, if so, then this was your lucky day which might not be repeatable.

There are 2 other methods other than the 800K in the bank to get a retirement extension, personchester. A total of 3 methods.

The OP used one of the other 2 methods. A notorised statement from the home country consulate or embassy, stating that the applicant has income of 65K a month or more. No need for the 800K in the bank with this method. But be prepared to show documentation of this income, if asked. The OP was prepared, but was not asked.

The 3rd method is a combo of the above. For example, show 400K in a Thai bank account, and a home country consular/embassy letter stating an income of 32,500 B per month or more- or any combination thereof. With this method, the money in the Thai bank account does not need to be "seasoned" for the 3 months prior to the application, or 2 months for the first time applicant.

BTW, a minor semantical point. When you apply inside Thailand, it is an extension, based on a prior visa (issued outside Thailand).

What the OP got was not a retirement visa. He got an "extension for reason of retirement" as he stated correctly in his thread title. Had he gone to a Thai Consulate or Embassy (outside Thailand), there he would have gotten a "retirement visa". The distinction is minor, as the requirements are much the same. However, the requirements are not identical for an extension vs. a visa.

Hope this helps, and as this is not entirely Chiang Rai specific (other than the location of the Immigration office in Mae Sai) this topic is moved to the Immigration forum, with a live link remaining on CR.

The 3rd method is a combo of the above. For example, show 400K in a Thai bank account, and a home country consular/embassy letter stating an income of 32,500 B per month or more- or any combination thereof. With this method, the money in the Thai bank account does not need to be "seasoned" for the 3 months prior to the application, or 2 months for the first time applicant.

I know I'm nitpicking, but the above information is not entirey correct. When using the combination method the rule is that the sum of income and bank balance must total not less than THB 800,000. The example quoted with 400k in a Thai bank account and income of 32,500 per month only gives a total of THB 790,000 and would not be sufficient for getting the extension.

Sophon

The presence of your better half, and her documents play no role at all regarding the retirement visa,

I believe the above quoted information (which was posted TWICE) and of interest in an anecdotal way is incorrect in regards to the O/P's original post.

(Hint to the poster known as 'personchester'; try refreshing the webpage after posting if you don't see your post display. :) )

He did NOT use the savings account method requiring 800K in a thai bank BUT instead used the income verification letter issued buy the US Embassy in Chiang Mai. That letter is a stand alone document which is duly notarized by the US Embassy, and states the person has sufficient funds from OUTSIDE the country to cover the income requirements set by thai immigrations. This document in most instances, requires NO additional supporting documentation AT ALL. (Warning :o ; your mileage MAY vary, check with your local thai immigrations offices to see if any further support documentation is required when using this method of income verification!!)

FWIW; I've lugged more acquaintances out to Changwattana than I care to count and secured them their yearly extension of stay using this type of documentation by people who were from UK, the USA, and even from several EU countries too. ;)

I do concur; the presence of a significant thai other in this situation played zero role in either the issuing of the extension of stay or it's expedience :D . The O/P was applying for a yearly extension of stay based on retirement not on marriage to a thai national. There is no requirement that you are accompanied by a thai national for that type of extension.

Edited by tod-daniels

I know I'm nitpicking, but the above information is not entirey correct. When using the combination method the rule is that the sum of income and bank balance must total not less than THB 800,000. The example quoted with 400k in a Thai bank account and income of 32,500 per month only gives a total of THB 790,000 and would not be sufficient for getting the extension.

Sophon

Not nitpicking at all Sophon- you are entirely right.

I should have not simply divided 65,000 in 2.

Good catch!