Proton Savvy

kenny999

it's crap, dont buy it. There's enough slow drivers blocking the way when light turns green, with that car u got no choice it's too slow and weak to get to 25kmh before it turns red again

You can't see any angles in it

It jerks you around

Really unconfortable seating

everything made from plastic used in 10baht toys

I test drove one and would never consider getting one. The automated manual transmission is actually a manual with an automatic clutch, so it acts neither like a manual in manual mode (no clutch pedal) nor an automatic in automatic mode (it takes a long time to shift gears since it is essentially a manual gearbox with the clutchbeing hydraulically, and slowly, operated by a computer.) And yes, very plasticky inside. If you can tolerate all that, and can't afford a real car, then it's a cheap and cheerful fuel efficient alternative, just be sure you are shorter than 1.8m. And hey, it's got suspension by Lotus! :rolleyes: Better to get a Mazda2 or Yaris tho, which is what I did.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

If you are an old lady and skint then get one!

I wouldnt even entertain the thought of test driving one. If you cant afford something better then I reckon you will be better off going and find a nice used car.

If you are an old lady and skint then get one!

I wouldnt even entertain the thought of test driving one. If you cant afford something better then I reckon you will be better off going and find a nice used car.

Thanks for the replys I will get the Toyota Yaris or the Mazda 2 both great cars but the Yaris is slightly cheaper at 629,000 - 10,000 discount so 619,000. the Mazda is 640,000 no discount but has ft and back fog lights also side skirts free tinted windows, will take one more look at each and then decide, cheers again.

Edited by kenny999

honda city is a lot better than the yaris and mazda, same price.

Better engine especially.

Okay will go and have a look at the City, do you know if the back seat folds down on the v type city as that is the main thing for me,

Okay will go and have a look at the City, do you know if the back seat folds down on the v type city as that is the main thing for me,

Thats true, The Honda City is not a bad car.

just go talk to them.. oor test drive it.

Mazda 2 feels like you're in a prison cell.. Yaris you feel like a 80 yo lady's vagina. (not the car, YOU feel like one)

Or go test used car, for the same price you can get a mazda 3 sport top model, a old CRV. etc etc

Edited by ilyelol

just go talk to them.. oor test drive it.

Mazda 2 feels like you're in a prison cell.. Yaris you feel like a 80 yo lady's vagina. (not the car, YOU feel like one)

Or go test used car, for the same price you can get a mazda 3 sport top model, a old CRV. etc etc

Just took top model City and top model Jazz for test drive and all I can say is wow, think it will be the Jazz as it is a bit smaller.

I drive a Vios which i bought new 4 years ago.

Heaps of power, good leg and head room(i am 190cm tall)

Good fuel economy, good road holding at high speed.

No extra maintenance or repairs since new just standard servicing.

I have owned Toyota commercial vehicles before and always had a good

run out of them, same with the Vios my first Toyota sedan..

Stick to a popular well known brand, you wont be sorry even if it costs you more you will save in the long run.

I drive a Vios which i bought new 4 years ago.

Heaps of power, good leg and head room(i am 190cm tall)

Good fuel economy, good road holding at high speed.

No extra maintenance or repairs since new just standard servicing.

I have owned Toyota commercial vehicles before and always had a good

run out of them, same with the Vios my first Toyota sedan..

Stick to a popular well known brand, you wont be sorry even if it costs you more you will save in the long run.

Cheers Peter made my mind up for the Honda Jazz auto, what a lovely car and superb drive.

I'm driving a brand new City at the moment (rented), previously I had a near new Vios. Before that a Yaris. So I am in a good position to compare.

I agree with the above statements about the City, it is a great little car, apart from one major annoyance for me.

The front pillar (between the door and the windscreen) is quite chunky and there is a triangular, blacked-out panel holding the outside mirror. This creates a nasty blind spot, if (like me), you like to whip around some of the mountain roads here and still see, in good time, some idiot coming the other way on the wrong side of the road.

I find my self leaning forward to see past the pillar as I'm cornering.

Although outside your paramaters, I would go with the Vios for visibility and interior space. Particularly footroom.

The Yaris, while nice, felt a bit underpowered and small for me.

Edit} just noticed you had decided on the Jazz. Drove one years ago, was surprised at the interior room, but not for me. (I am also buying soon)

Edited by Old Croc

I'm driving a brand new City at the moment (rented), previously I had a near new Vios. Before that a Yaris. So I am in a good position to compare.

I agree with the above statements about the City, it is a great little car, apart from one major annoyance for me.

The front pillar (between the door and the windscreen) is quite chunky and there is a triangular, blacked-out panel holding the outside mirror. This creates a nasty blind spot, if (like me), you like to whip around some of the mountain roads here and still see, in good time, some idiot coming the other way on the wrong side of the road.

I find my self leaning forward to see past the pillar as I'm cornering.

Although outside your paramaters, I would go with the Vios for visibility and interior space. Particularly footroom.

The Yaris, while nice, felt a bit underpowered and small for me.

Edit} just noticed you had decided on the Jazz. Drove one years ago, was surprised at the interior room, but not for me. (I am also buying soon)

yes thats a major concern, many other cars have this problem too in thailand.

I liked the yaris a little more, especialy the seats. Sadden that my gf chose city at the last minute.. Fun thing with the city though, is that you can change the front pannel to make your car look almost like a civic. the basic plastic front pannel looks pretty cheap

why you dont just to consider PROTON Persona CNG.

Its quite good also.. plus fuel efficiency that can achieve 200km in just THB90!

Lotus Ride and Handling is so amazing while taking cornering and cruising in highway.

You should consider it.

Its quite good also.. plus fuel efficiency that can achieve 200km in just THB90!

Lotus Ride and Handling is so amazing while taking cornering and cruising in highway.

You should consider it.

The Proton showroom have no test drive car for the Gen 2 or the Persona so why would any one consider buying one of these cars before driving it!!!

The Proton showroom have no test drive car for the Gen 2 or the Persona so why would any one consider buying one of these cars before driving it!!!

A while back when I was looking for a car, I went to Toyota and wanted to drive the hybrid. They said I couldn't as it was the only one, but I could go for a quick tour around the parking lot! They then proceeded to hand me the sales brochure and asked how I wanted to pay. I then immediately went to the Honda dealership and they were more than willing to let me test drive the Accord.

Back on topic, stick with one of the Japanese models as opposed to the Proton.

Appears odd the OP was asking about the Proton Savvy, now says the Honda Jazz is a lot better.. Sure + it costs a lot more..

I would have thought for only 20,000 baht more someone would have suggested the New Nissan March

[savvy inline Auto..... March Auto]

Even the Kia Picanto I think would be better than the Savvy + cost the same price manual and same price for the Auto, as the Savvy manual + Auto.

No idea what they are like but seen a few.. Naza Forza manual, cheaper than the manual Savvy.. both made in Malaysia.

Of course non of the above have the same speed or 0-100km time as the Jazz

• 4 weeks later...

You should consider it.

oh...

Thailand so grateful because have variety of choice on cars.

Instead of Malaysia, we does not have any choice beside of PROTON and PERODUA because another non-national cars are heavily taxed..

so sad...

In Malaysia, PROTON Persona CNG is not our spec, but Thailand so, so grateful because have this machine.. Fuel efficient, towards greener environment, plus LOTUS Ride and Handling..

I don't know why nobody has yet suggested the Nissan March. Similarly priced to the Savvy but with the quality of Nissan behind it. I know most Thais are blind to anything other than Toyota, Isuzu or Honda, but in most western countries Nissan are as well respected as those brands. The March is pretty much identically sized as the Yaris, but a LOT cheaper.

See earlier threads:

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3984803

http://www.thaivisa...._1#entry3993728

ok..I do not reside in Thailand but I want to purchasing a new vehicle in Thailand..

That means i don't have either two..

I hope you can clarify it.

Thanks

Easy clarification: you can not.

why?

izzit thailand government does not allow any foreigner purchasing a new vehicle in Thailand?

ok..I do not reside in Thailand but I want to purchasing a new vehicle in Thailand..

That means i don't have either two..

I hope you can clarify it.

Thanks

Easy clarification: you can not.

why?

izzit thailand government does not allow any foreigner purchasing a new vehicle in Thailand?

Foreigners can easily buy a vehicle in Thailand. You need a non-immigrant type visa, and proof of residency in Thailand. Usually a copy of your rental contract and copy of the house paper/letter from landlord, and a trip to Immigration office will result in issue of residency paper.