Holiday In Cambodia

bermondburi

Just came back from Cambodia with my wife and kids and was pleasantly suprised. Stayed in Sihanoukville. Rooms on the beach with air-con , hot water, cable TV that works for 300 baht a night. Draught beer on the beach for 15-20 baht a glass. Cheap transport, cheap motorbike rental. Good ferrang food at cheap prices. Any thoughts ?

Cambodia is a very nice place and its as Thailand was 15 years ago in most places. I spent most of 2008 and 09 there before returning to thailand

the 300 baht place on the beach is something i cant quite believe as i have been many times in snooky and have friends living there, except for the very low class bunglaows and bars on Occidental, (where u can find places that offer free place to sleep on the sand if u drink there all day) u wont find 300 baht places. The nice places at the northern end go for 750-1,50/night. I usuually stay over a victory beach and love it there. Sakal bungalow is up the small road towards victory hill and u can get air rooms for $15, fan for 8 right on the beach is a nice sorta like motel place where u can park ur car right outside, Air con. wifi nicer room and great seafood restaurnt on the water for $25/night

Snooky is not that great a place but I ove Phnom Penh. Kep and Kampot are very laid back places and worth a visit for sure.

Hi

a timely thread - ages ago bought fares to PP when Air Asia had a super-cheap sale, going for a week in Dec.

No plans and any suggestions welcome have not yet booked any accomm. How far/time to Sihanoukville? A beach appeals, not interested in nightlife etc.

thanks

if u live in thailand then the beach at shn will disappoint you. Occidental is the main beach with most accomodations/bars/restaurnats (a few are open all night)

The bars are like rests in daytime and then at night the small tables and candles come out.

at high tide not much beach at all and hanging there u put up with the disabled beggers/kids selling stuff and the trinket/fruit sellers ( like Patattya )

Otres is very nice and laid back and the Next beach to develop so go now

Victory beach is small and nice and more Cambodian. Its also where the big Russian disco is.

Head out to the islands if u have time, they are beautiful. My friend Rony runs sail camboida, (Sail/) and will take ya.

Driving time is about 3 hours from Phnom Penh by taxi or the bus is 4 or so.

Plenty of places to stay at Occidental from $5 to $50

Like i said i prefer Victory beach and its only a 5-10 min moto ride form Occidental where all the night life is centered

There is also a bunch of bars on Victory hill and if u want to see how the russians have tried to make it more up scale visit the snake farm bar/hotel between Occ and Victory beach

all depends on what u want/need

Kampot is 45 min to an hour and then Kep is another hour. worth a day trip

Hi

a timely thread - ages ago bought fares to PP when Air Asia had a super-cheap sale, going for a week in Dec.

No plans and any suggestions welcome have not yet booked any accomm. How far/time to Sihanoukville? A beach appeals, not interested in nightlife etc.

thanks

My wife and I just got back from Siem Reap and if you are interested in historical sites recommend going there to see Angor Wat. You can take a bus from Phnom Phen (it takes 6 hours) but very comfortable. We stayed at Golden Temple Villa, www.goldentemplevilla.com

Cambodia is a very nice place and its as Thailand was 15 years ago in most places.  I spent most of 2008 and 09 there before returning to thailand

the 300 baht place on the beach is something i cant quite believe as i have been many times in snooky and have friends living there, except for the very low class bunglaows and bars on Occidental, (where u can find places that offer free place to sleep on the sand if u drink there all day)  u wont find 300 baht places.  The nice places at the northern end go for 750-1,50/night.  I usuually stay over a victory beach and love it there. Sakal bungalow is up the small road towards victory hill and u can get air rooms for $15,  fan for 8  right on the beach is  a nice sorta like motel place where u can park ur car right outside,  Air con. wifi nicer room and great seafood restaurnt on the water for $25/night

Snooky is not that great a place but I ove Phnom Penh.  Kep and Kampot are very laid back places and worth a visit for sure.

Stayed in Makara guesthouse so it was on the road side of the beach but it was 10 $ a night as I said. Weather was pretty bad though so I don't know if that makes a difference. That was on Ochitureal beach, is that what you meant by Occidental ? Went up to Victory Hill but not much happening there because the weather was bad. Not good for the kids either. 

Hi

a  timely thread - ages ago bought fares to PP when Air Asia had a super-cheap sale, going for a week in Dec.

thanks

Four hours by bus from Koh Kong in Cambodia the other side from Had Lek in Trat in Thailand. Bus for 7$.