Upcoming Mobiles From Wellcom And I-Mobile

Budthai

Hi! My first post here, been reading alot the last year on this forum and its really great!

To my question, last time I was in BKK I found a newspaper on my table in Burger King with upcoming phones from example Wellcom. They announced the A88 in that paper.

Im trying to find a weebiste with upcoming phones from these 2 (Wellcom and I-Mobil). But I cant find anything, both there websites are useless since they dont got any info about upcoming phones! I want a cheap droid that runs 2.2 so if anyone know any other phones (thats NOT aviable in EU) please tell me.

And ofc if anyone know a website with upcoming phones please give me :)

/Budthai

Hi

The Wellcom A88 has been out for a while, I bought one last April, played with it , had it updated to 2.1 and gave it to my son, great little phone, good to discover Android. As far as I know, there is no official upgrade to 2.2 planned, but there might be some rom available on internet. The WePad Wellcom A800 tablet is also running on 2.2 but it's not a phone ( although you can phone with it, but being a 7 inches machine does not make it very "pocketable " ... )

The I-mobile 858 is running Android 2.2 and is also already available, at a similar price, around 8500 bahts, but I haven't tried it.

You can find a lot of infos on internet and particularly on droidsans.com, but be warned, it's all in Thai ...

Phil

• 1 month later...

The I-mobile 858 is running Android 2.2 and is also already available, at a similar price, around 8500 bahts, but I haven't tried it.

Phil

I was told at the i-mobile shop 2.1 for the i858. Maybe they have Android 2.2. Can you confirm that it can be bought at a chain store with 2.2 pre-loaded or their technicians can load for you? I'm in phuket, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Phil

I was told at the i-mobile shop 2.1 for the i858. Maybe they have Android 2.2. Can you confirm that it can be bought at a chain store with 2.2 pre-loaded or their technicians can load for you? I'm in phuket, thanks.

One mistake above. The I-Mobile i858 is currently running 2.1 and there is no plans for an official 2.2 release. The last selling price was 8,900 baht and currently I-Mobile is out of stock at most stores. Some small stores in MBK have them but they want 9,900 due to the scarcity. It is not confirmed if I-Mobile is going to get another shipment in or not. They tend to do a one-off order and when a device is sold out they forget about it.

One mistake above. The I-Mobile i858 is currently running 2.1 and there is no plans for an official 2.2 release. The last selling price was 8,900 baht and currently I-Mobile is out of stock at most stores. Some small stores in MBK have them but they want 9,900 due to the scarcity. It is not confirmed if I-Mobile is going to get another shipment in or not. They tend to do a one-off order and when a device is sold out they forget about it.

i can confirm based on an email reply from i-mobile, they seem disinterested in updating their firmware phone. This wont matter if we could just get updates direct from google. So if you dont mind 2.1, then it may be a great deal.

they do come out with new phones every 2-3 months, so i wouldnt be surprised if their newer phones supported 2.3 or higher.

If you want to have near-guaaranteed updates at some sort of regular interval, then stick with samsung, htc, lg, etc.