Nanny Hourly Wage

Hoser

I'm planning on hiring a nanny to assist my wife with our newborn for two to three hours a day, but I'm not sure what a fair hourly wage would be. Of course, the nanny, very helpfully, said, "Up to you."

Her duties will be the regular kind: some changing, some cleaning, mostly supervision while the wife catches up on lost sleep. She's helped us out before so we know she's trustworthy and a fairly hard worker.

In short, how much do you pay your part time nanny?

minimum wage is 230 baht/ per day, so if only working a few hours a day then scale it down. Mind you, you are entrusting this lady with a big responsibility, so maybe her wage should reflect that? Have you thought about employing her full time and including general chores around the house to ensure your wife doesn't feel she has too much to do?

Edited by Ashmanator

200b per day.

Seconded.

For a short period of time like 2-3 hours a day, 70 - 100 baht per hour if she's reliable.

You could get someone for less than this, but would you really trust them with your child? Someone who is responsible and a hard worker is worth their weight in gold. I have friends that pay 15k for a nanny to come 8 hours per day. We tried offering 10k and couldn't find anyone even remotely responsible.

There are times in your life to be cheap. This isn't one of them. But do make sure she is doing the job you need. This is not a job that can be done half way. If your wife is actually going to get those 3 precious hours of sleep, she needs someone she can count on implicitly. It's not worth paying anything for someone who doesn't meet this restriction.

200b per day.

I wouldn't pay someone I entrust to take care of my daughter less than what the garbage man gets. She has quite a bit more responsibility in my eyes.

Depends totally on where you live, how you live, if the nanny can speak English and a hundred other things. I'd say 230 bath per day up with 250 being a fair minimum in Bangkok. Minimum salary is what people pay for maids perhaps, nannys have higher status, and get paid more. 10,000 bath per month is not an unusual salary in Bangkok for a nanny -> 300 bath per day is not unusual either.

200b per day.

I wouldn't pay someone I entrust to take care of my daughter less than what the garbage man gets. She has quite a bit more responsibility in my eyes.

Depends totally on where you live, how you live, if the nanny can speak English and a hundred other things. I'd say 230 bath per day up with 250 being a fair minimum in Bangkok. Minimum salary is what people pay for maids perhaps, nannys have higher status, and get paid more. 10,000 bath per month is not an unusual salary in Bangkok for a nanny -> 300 bath per day is not unusual either.

My figure was based on the 2 to 3 hr per day working requirement as mentioned by the OP.

200b per day.

My figure was based on the 2 to 3 hr per day working requirement as mentioned by the OP.

The 200 bath is a good number for that, I agree with you :)