Boilies In Thailand

robblok

Ok I have been working hard this month so i was not able to get any fishing done, and i probably wont until the end of the month. However in the sparce free hours i had time to watch a DVD of Korda and Nash.

They gave me some idea's about fishing with boilies here in Thailand. The thing is catch rates went up for carp fishing after introduction of boilies. Not because the carps took this bait more often then other baits but because it was easier to hook the carps. (self hooking ect). Also people could cast further and get to spots where carp were normally not targeted resulting in more catches. So far it all sounds like it could work here too.

The main problems are that the fish are not used to it, and that boilies are not available here. Then the boilies are also small.

My comments on those problems.

The fish are not used to it.. i think in certain ponds like shadow lake it could be introduced.I think they wont mind, however you might have to pay to get your own bait in. I would not mind to be honest because i understand they make money off bait. But I think extensive feeding is needed and i think it will take a while before it works (if it ever works)

Boilies are not available here.. Ok you can either order them or make them yourself i bought a boilie table and will try to make my own boilies.. im a novice so im sure things will go wrong at first. Also if you make your own boilies you can make them as big as you want. Still i think 24mm might be big enough if you see how big the carp are that take those boilies then i think the catfish here migh take them too.

I wonder how you guys think about this. I dont think its viable for BSR, but it might be a nice experiment for local ponds where you come a lot.

A few years back a well known boilie manufacturer from the UK(Richmond I think) sponsored someone to fish with their product for a year at BSR.They even used under water divers to find areas where the carp were feeding.After,

,lets say, an extensive campaign trying to get the carp to starting feeding on the boilies they failed and apparently only had success after reverting back to lam.From this account I,m not sure how successful boilies would be but

it doe's no harm to try.I would sometimes roll my own boilies back home and can tell you it.s a pain in the neck at times.There's a large mussel bed in shadow lake and I suspect the carp would feed on these.Has such I could

only guess that you try basing your boilies on fishmeal with a mussel attractant.

Years ago i fished boilies heavly at bung saam lan and shadow without much success , i couldnt and still cant understand why boilies and pop ups fail at thai fishing parks . Its as if everything has to be local , ive tried all kinds of pop ups , and the best return has come from , the old local foam fishing floats cut up to look like corn ,best advice keep it local

There's a video on the net with a guy called Matt Hayes fishing for Wells catfish on the Ebro river in Spain, they were using boilie like pellets. Quite a bit bigger than the average boilie though

catfish-04.jpg

Source: http://www.catmastertours.com/catfishing.html

The key will be ingredients. Perhaps try integrating bread and Lam into the mix, and flavour it with the attractants that they use as BSR (coconut milk seems popular).

Edited by quiksilva

Years ago i fished boilies heavly at bung saam lan and shadow without much success , i couldnt and still cant understand why boilies and pop ups fail at thai fishing parks . Its as if everything has to be local , ive tried all kinds of pop ups , and the best return has come from , the old local foam fishing floats cut up to look like corn ,best advice keep it local

It's very very difficult to catch cahos at Bungsamram. There are 3000 cahos in the pond and none are caught on some days. Bungsamran guides use Lam,boiled muang beans mixed with buttermilk.Met Germans,Dutch and my friend Steve mixed Lam with buttercakes,sugarcane water,baby formula and many other cocktails. The number one guide at Bungsamran for big mekong and cahos is Boonsong. Every serious farang carp angler books him.

And I agree for every pond it's advisable to keep it local.

I will just try it at shadow lake, i usually fish there with 2 or 3 rods anyway so i can check it out. I did think of an other alternative. I will show it after i am sure it works but it is local combined with boily technology :P.

It's very very difficult to catch cahos at Bungsamram. There are 3000 cahos in the pond and none are caught on some days. Bungsamran guides use Lam,boiled muang beans mixed with buttermilk.Met Germans,Dutch and my friend Steve mixed Lam with buttercakes,sugarcane water,baby formula and many other cocktails. The number one guide at Bungsamran for big mekong and cahos is Boonsong. Every serious farang carp angler books him.

How to book a guide ahead in BSR. I will be fishing there 11 november (planned) with my dad and brother. I would use a guide just for my brother so he can get a lot of fish. I am not there to target kaho just to give my brother who has never fished in Thailand an unforgettable day. I have had a guide one time my first time at BSR with my dad never after that. SO it might be good to do it this time to see what they do and to give my bro a good day.

Mr Whe maybe ?

How to book a guide ahead in BSR. I will be fishing there 11 november (planned) with my dad and brother. I would use a guide just for my brother so he can get a lot of fish. I am not there to target kaho just to give my brother who has never fished in Thailand an unforgettable day. I have had a guide one time my first time at BSR with my dad never after that. SO it might be good to do it this time to see what they do and to give my bro a good day.

Mr Whe maybe ?

PM you contact numbers for Wee and Boonsong or you can contact Bungsamran to book either of them. Just tell them what you want to catch and if you want to reserve a bungalow too. If you run 3 rods then I suggest you buy a bag of Lum 500baht or 520baht they deliver to you happy fishing

Mr Whe maybe ?

PM you contact numbers for Wee and Boonsong or you can contact Bungsamran to book either of them. Just tell them what you want to catch and if you want to reserve a bungalow too. If you run 3 rods then I suggest you buy a bag of Lum 500baht or 520baht they deliver to you happy fishing

We will reserver a bungalow too one of the bigger ones. Believe it was 3000 baht for the bungalow. Because my mom will be there too and gf and gf of brother. So it will be one of those with aircon. I think a bag of lum is a good idea for sure. And i got loads of butter milk i buy it at a bakery shop.

I fished at the 3000baht bungalow but I recommend bungalow 29(2000baht)-aircon,shower with towels provided,TV and bedroom.as it's right at the end-less disturbance- and when you are in bungalow 29 facing pond you have a good fishing area on the right side. Bungalow 29 is comfortable for 8 people and good for 5 rods..

Bungalow 30(2000baht) is big enough for 20 people and 10 rods. But no aircon,no proper room and shower it's run down.

Bungalow 1(2000baht) is good for cahos.Facilities same as no 29

Many big mekongs caught 80kg up from these 3 bungalows. perhaps when you decide which guide, I recommend Wee for mekongs, tell him you want big mekongs.

Edited by zoso

I fished at the 3000baht bungalow but I recommend bungalow 29(2000baht)-aircon,shower with towels provided,TV and bedroom.as it's right at the end-less disturbance- and when you are in bungalow 29 facing pond you have a good fishing area on the right side. Bungalow 29 is comfortable for 8 people and good for 5 rods..

Bungalow 30(2000baht) is big enough for 20 people and 10 rods. But no aircon,no proper room and shower it's run down.

Bungalow 1(2000baht) is good for cahos.Facilities same as no 29

Many big mekongs caught 80kg up from these 3 bungalows. perhaps when you decide which guide, I recommend Wee for mekongs, tell him you want big mekongs.

Thank you for giving me all this really good advise. I think i will take bungalow 29 then. Thanks for the advice and Wee for mekongs. I am sure my brother will like it. We will probably be fishing with 4 rods. (one for each guy and one for the gf's shared)

The bungalow rental runs from 9am to 9pm. Just bring extra towels and shower gel/soap if you plan to freshen up for dinner. Happy fishing!

Will do and i knew about from 9 till 9 just have to see how traffic is that day. And how my family is as it will be the second day i hope they are not too jet lagged. We will do most of the fishing ourself but i will try to make use of that guide for instructions and so on because he knows it better then I do. Also for my brother it will help as he has never fished for cat fish. My dad has been in Thailand a few times fishing with me.

Im really looking forward to it. Im counting down. Today im fortunate enough to go to shadow lake. My only free day this whole month. No saturday or sunday off so ill make the most of it. But next month loads of free fishing time.

Thanks for all your help and i will catch up with you for sure.