Trinks Censored Farewell

The_Moog

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I just finished, a bit late, reading today's BKK-post. Unless my neighbor stole a page or two, Trink is gone! I realized only, after I finished, today is Friday and not even TGIF for that.

Old soldiers don't die, they just fade away, although he stopped fighting years ago.

For Prudie, Miss Manners, etc. They appear around the world in English language papers. For me something like 'the state of the Nation' reflecting an insight from outside into the problems and headaches in their home country.

Mr. Trink draw huge traffic to the bangkokpost website. When I heard about his abrupt end at the Post, I offered him a freelance job with Thaivisa.com, well paid and with full freedom and no censur. Mr. Trink didn't even bother to answer my polite emails, and did not returned my phone calls, which suprised me.

I am sorry to hear that, George. I was told he would reply. I haven't seen him in days...weeks, even. His typewriter is still there, and the thousands of books and other rubbish he keeps around his desk.

I am told he tried to say goodbye in his column but some idiot took the words out by mistake.

From this weeks Time Magazine:

RETIRED. BERNARD TRINK, 72, revered and reviled newspaperman whose "Night Owl" column extolled for nearly four decades the sybaritic pleasures available to expatriate men in Thailand's capital; in Bangkok. The Brooklyn-born Trink covered the city's go-go bars, massage parlors and pubs, making the rounds with his Thai wife in tow, owl medallion around his neck and maroon polyester pants hitched up to his chest. He wrote in a retro style in which prostitutes were "demimondaines," and press releases were preceded by the phrase, "The tom toms have it ..." His signature sign-off was, "But I don't give a hoot." The column was one of the most popular on the Bangkok Post's website—on average, 30,000 readers logged on to digest it every week—but the Post has decided to drop it. Said editor Veera Prateepchaikul: "Do you want something that's modern, or something from 30-40 years ago?"

Guest IT Manager
Oh well,TIT,over to you,any comment would be superflous, huMANnatURE.

Dinty Moor beef stew 49 baht at the big C supermarket.

Good riddance.

Did mrentoul say typewriter?

I was always under the impression it was tripewriter.

Hi P, good to see you didn't forget your "bitch" pill in the haze of a New Year Hangover.

You should come down over the weekend to the overhanging spot in the place we met and sink a few in the name of fair editorial and see who can say "fukc" the most often.

Not the big one, the little one. :o

They could have let him go gracefully

The Trink species, while endangered, is not yet extinct. I saw him at work last night, banging away at his old Remington. He still writes book reviews for the Post.

I am told he is moving to a pay site soon. If no one chooses to read him ie to pay then he gets nothing. Seems a risky way to go to me, but then I am just a boy, not a wisened old owl like himself.

He certainly did not trouble to respond to George Khun Michael.

I agree, Pat. George was a perfect gentleman. He worried his emails were not polite - they were. Trink assured my boss he would reply, but did not.

I think I have talked to him but once. I shan't again.

Good riddance. The man was a self serving mediocrity who wore out his welcome. He was also more than a little vindictive, and never forgot nor forgave any slights towards him, even when they were only figments of his imagination.

With web forums like Bangkok Chat, I can find out what's happening downtown without wading through the semi-literate crap Mr. Trink churned out.

Mr. Trink ... We wish him good luck in the future.

He seems to have a paysite out there http://www.idontgiveahoot.net/ if it's not an imposter.

Cheers,

:D:D:D

Tks PK2.

Got a e-mail from "Bernard Trink <[email protected]>"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Win,

I'm back! The oldest existing column in this part of the world continues by popular demand of friends and foes. My views and reviews of the passing parade, now unmuzzled and not arbitrarily cut. Space isn't a problem and readers are requested to keep sending me e-mail as I, at least, care what you have to say.

My views, based on experience, follow conventional beliefs in some respects but not in others. Much isn't known yet is accepted "on good authority." That the population of Bangkok is 6.5 million (it isn't, it's circa l0 million); that HIV is the Aids virus (it isn't); that bar girls are victims of society (tell that to those they lie to and cheat).

It's 2004 and I'm raring to share my thoughts with you for a further couple, three decades. Listen up...

Spread the word, you can catch me at www.idontgiveahoot.net, weekly "Nite Owl" and movie reviews posted every Friday.

Looking forward hearing you thoughts and ideas in the online forum,

BT

P.S. I'm sending this e-mail as a one off to people who have been in contact with me in the past. If you wish not to receive any more emails from me then let me know and you won't hear from me again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kan Win:-

I was a few years ago.

Now you all know :o:D

QUOTE (george @ Fri 2004-01-02, 05:01:51)

Mr. Trink ... We wish him good luck in the future.

He seems to have a paysite out there http://www.idontgiveahoot.net/ if it's not an imposter.

Cheers,

The domain is registered in bernard trinks name,the server is in bkk,,but ###### it would be a good con for someone..12 bucks a time lol..

anyway i liked nite owls articles.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info...gotta support the old baskit.

Last spoke to him about 10 years ago when he gave us a load of good plugs for the old Irish Rover down in Phnom Penh and all in all we had a couple of good years after that. :D

"I beeeen a wild roover...fur many a yeeeear..."sing -mai sing song :o

I must say I have enjoyed Trink for the last 11 years I have been living in Thailand, he always has something of interest and whether you agree or disagree with his views he is entertaining.

I am regularly away from the land of smiles a lot due to pressures of work, and even here in Nigeria I could print him out and share hime with the other expats around me. I for one will subscribe to his new webpage.

Good luck to him and what ever he does, he is an entertainer.

I happen to be one of Trink's fans, OK maybe he went on too long but he was and is something that is sadly lacking in this modern world of ours - he's an individual.

He'll be replaced by something teppid.

As for discussion on his removal from the post, I'd rather I had an explanation of what happens to the stories that define Thailand, Duangchalerm being a fine example.

His and many other stories of corruption and villany in the politcal class were carried in Bangkok Post's "Hot Topics", that has gone decidedly cold.

We have headlines one day and no follow-up the next.

• 1 month later...
Mr. Trink draw huge traffic to the bangkokpost website. When I heard about his abrupt end at the Post, I offered him a freelance job with Thaivisa.com, well paid and with full freedom and no censur. Mr. Trink didn't even bother to answer my polite emails, and did not returned my phone calls, which surprised me. We wish him good luck in the future.

Hey George

I'll take the freelance job if it's still on offer. Please send a polite email to [email protected]

Thanks

Phil Macdonald

Editor

Farang Affairs

Expat Page

The Nation

61,898 members on this forum. If we each gave one dollar a month, we could start our own newspaper and put Trink back into business. Something to think about. :o I have started two newspapers in the past and although retired now could give free advice to any and all. Believe me the sponsorship that wants to reach the Farang readership is certainly out there.

61,898 members on this forum. If we each gave one dollar a month, we could start our own newspaper and put Trink back into business. Something to think about. :o I have started two newspapers in the past and although retired now could give free advice to any and all. Believe me the sponsorship that wants to reach the Farang readership is certainly out there.

What do you think George ? Sounds 'orright to me ( except that the dollar will be out of reach of the ' walkers ' :D )