Canadian commander sentenced to two life terms in prison

News_Editor

Canadian commander sentenced to two life terms in prison

2010-10-22 06:21:14 GMT+7 (ICT)

OTTAWA, CANADA (BNO NEWS) -- Canadian military commander Col. David Russell Williams was sentenced on Thursday to two life terms in prison for the murders of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau and Jessica Loyd, local media reported.

Williams, 47, who pleaded guilty on Monday to 88 charges and said to be "indescribably ashamed" and apologized to the families of the victims.

Among the 88 charges, Williams would break into homes, steal women's lingerie and underwear, and take photographs of himself wearing the stolen garments. In most of the pictures, Williams' genitals are seen protruding through the cloth in close-up shots. In some occasions, the former commander would masturbate using bedroom items, put them back in place, and leave "thank you" notes on computer screens.

In one of the videotapes shown in court, Williams is shown raping a bleeding woman who he had previously struck with a flashlight after she had caught him as she was looking for her cats. Williams tied her up and gathered lamps in order to light the area and record himself during his actions.

"Your Honor. I stand before you indescribably ashamed. I know the crimes I have committed have traumatized many people. The family and friends of Marie-France Comeau and Jessica Lloyd in particular have suffered and continue to suffer profound, desperate pain and sorrow as a result of what I’ve done," Williams said in the Ontario courtroom.

"The understandable hatred that was expressed yesterday and that has been palpable throughout the week has me recognize that most will find it impossible to accept. But the fact is I deeply regret what I have done and the harm I know I have caused to many. I committed despicable crimes, your honor, and in the process betrayed my family, my friends and colleagues and the Canadian Forces," he added.

In addition to the life sentences, Williams received 10-year terms for two sex attacks and one year apiece for 82 break-ins, all to be served concurrently. He must serve a minimum of 25 years in prison before any possibility of parole.

"We are a community transformed by his crimes," said prosecutor Lee Burgess. "What makes this more despicable is that this was a man considered above reproach. He betrayed this community and he betrayed the military."

The Canadian Forces announced that Williams cannot be tried by court martial because section 66 of the National Defence Act prevents an individual from being tried by court martial where the offenses have been previously dealt with by a civilian court.

In addition, the Canadian Forces said it cannot remove Colonel Williams' pension due to an act that determines a member's pension entitlement upon release. Entitlements are calculated based on years of service and earnings, and are not affected by the type of release from the military, whether he is convicted by a civilian court or a military court martial or the sentence.

After the Williams' confirmed conviction, the Canadian Forces announced it would move ahead with his release from the armed forces, the termination and recovery of his pay from the date of arrest, the removal of his medals and other, yet to be determined measures.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2010-10-22

I think this man will commit suicide in prison to put an end to his own suffering now that he's been caught, convicted, and jailed. And it is ridiculous, eh, two life terms but you can get out in 25 years? One plus one no longer equals two. I'm reminded of George Orwell's 1984.