Living In Thailand

Chainat1

A close second are people who try to push past you at the talat, then walk like snails once they get in front of you. But I usually don't let that bother me too much.

It doesn't bother me either when they cause me to stop abrupty when they walk right across my path, even though there's nobody behind me. :D

I am moderately well built (>Thai), and normally just walk on - and apologize briefly afterwards - without stopping, of course. :o

Although more bothersome is then having to climb a tall water tower with a heavy high powered sniper rifle.  :D

I prefer to use buildings with an elevator when I use my sniper rifle. Just me, my rifle, and my star-shaped blue pillow for stability - no better way of spending a lazy afternoon..... :D

Edited by WhiteShiva

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anything bugs me, living on Thailand, it is the lack 0f rights, foriegners have if you have a problem, accident, or noisy neighbours etc. The attitude of the Thai, is if you were not here, there wouldn't be, or have been a problem.

Accidents on the road, usually involving m/bikes running into you. It's your fault, you are expected to pay, because you have money and insurance. They never have either. Even the police will side with the Thai.

Inconsiderate neighbours. I live on a narrow soi/rd. The man who lives almost adjacent is a marketeer. He started with one pickup, now he has 4. He parks either side of the road, sometimes making it impossible to get by. I have complained a few times. He moves it to let me past, then reparks it the same. He just looks at me when I try to make him see how ridiculars it is. What do I do? I don't want to make trouble with neighbours, so I just get on with it.

Living out in the sticks is no good for a farang, unless you lived the same before in the old country. Best to have a happy medium. Live outside, but far enough to be able to get in of a night. I live on the other side of Sukumvit from Pattaya. Just far enough out to have the best of both worlds. Apart from THE neighbour, I am here to stay and quite happy. :o

Sounds like heaven, pal

What gets me going is that in Bkk (most things) you pay roughly more or less the equivalent western prices for food, goods and services and you get half the quality, 40% of the taste and flavour, 35% of the enjoyment, and about 10% of the customer service and often absolutely no choice in the matter!

A close second are people who try to push past you at the talat, then walk like snails once they get in front of you. But I usually don't let that bother me too much.

It doesn't bother me either when they cause me to stop abrupty when they walk right across my path, even though there's nobody behind me. :D

I am moderately well built (>Thai), and normally just walk on - and apologize briefly afterwards - without stopping, of course. :o

I tend to be polite as well, or at least take it all in stride. Although when strolling through the talat in Saraburi, the pathways are so narrow there's barely enough room slide a sheet of paper by let alone anyone else. It can be a bit of a hassle when there's three people ahead side-by-side making no effort to move aside. I just wait until they either move along or finally wander off some other direction. My wife has the uncanny ability to slide by like she was lathered in grease while I'm still stuck behind a trio of statues. On the other hand, when someone with a cartload of stuff or a motorcycle delivering something honks to get by, I take full advantage of the opportunity.

Edited by AmeriThai

I tend to be polite as well, or at least take it all in stride. Although when strolling through the talat in Saraburi, the pathways are so narrow there's barely enough room slide a sheet of paper by let alone anyone else. It can be a bit of a hassle when there's three people ahead side-by-side making no effort to move aside. I just wait until they either move along or finally wander off some other direction. My wife has the uncanny ability to slide by like she was lathered in grease while I'm still stuck behind a trio of statues. On the other hand, when someone with a cartload of stuff or a motorcycle delivering something honks to get by, I take full advantage of the opportunity.

I find dark sunglasses and a blind mans walking cane do the trick. :D

Edited by penelope

I find dark sunglasses and a blind mans walking cane do the trick.  :o

LOL! That might work for some, but I'd sure never get away with it. My wife would immediately tell me, "Mai dai. Ai kow." She wouldn't want anyone to think she's married to (or with) a blind farang. Of course, that's assuming we're there together. Can you imagine a blind foreigner stumbling around alone in a crowded talat?

:D

Edited by AmeriThai

Liars and thiefs ( con artist)  like anywhere else. Other than that not a problem. The Bangkok Billionaires ( Thai and farang) who make victims out of locals and tourist.

I

Yea liars and thieves are a pain, but the one that gets me is the Lao neighbors that got a hold of 2500 watt speaker system and play the Lao music they can hear in Laos and in the factory where they work that way they don’t need a Ipod :D and they just love japioke till 2am Friday, Saturday :D I need a weekend get away...

The other thing is the vegetable man his bull horn can be heard at the airport from Lat Krabang, so loud you can’t understand a thing he says. As soon as he comes in the gate to the mobhan 1/2 mile away I know its time to get up even if it is only 10:30 :o

Now for my top 10 biggest downsides living in Thailand:

-amplified noise

-roaches

-touts and farang gouging

-polluted surroundings, public smoking

-inability to visit relatives

-heat and humidity

-low quality items, shoddy workmanship, overuse of plastic

-uncertain visa future

-problematic internet connection

-unavailability and high price of latest in electronics/computers

Hmmm yeah PUBLIC SMOKING

In fact I like farting. It makes me feel good. I like to fart in the entryways to buildings and while I enjoy a social drink down at the pub. I don't care if people whinge about it. I will fart all I like because I can do what I like and those stupid whingers are breathing in other toxins anyway. Who cares if my farts are really unpleasant and make some people gag or have asthma attacks it is my right to fart in public whenever I want. Some may call me a selfish ###### but they can all go crying to their mums.

Cheers BO

Cockroaches.

Thai people not understanding you regardless of speaking in Thai, English or any other language under the sun.

The smells.

Farang males dating young prostitutes.

Knowing that almost every Thai that talks to you, smiles or says hello is thinking about your wallet.

one month ago I made a thread like this and got flamed....

I'm in Phayao (the country) and for the first time ever I'm offended at the term falang. I've been speaking Thai for 6 years and got the accent so perfect, people ask me if I am half or full Thai, but in Phayao they either don't understand me or are too busy amazed at my ability to speak Thai they don't pay attention. (yes, I know that was a run-on sentence)

The people here are lazy. When people told me how Thais are lazy, I thought they were being stereotypical but now I see how bad it is.

I don't like how people look at me and my TGF and make comments so loud enough for her to hear and me to understand.

They drink too much here.

I'm in Phayao (the country)

What country is this then? Pha Yao no longer a part of Thailand??? :D

Yes, in Pha Yao, they speak the northern dialect, far removed from Thai. Very frustrating when you have made the effort to learn Thai. Of course everyone could understand you, but some choose not to.

You may be speaking Thai too quickly, slow it down and maybe it will make a difference. Northern Thais don't speak the same as a machine gun. :o

Edited by loong

apart from the fact you are never more than 20 yards from some berk with an angle grinder........so called Thai freinds call me and then hang up after one ring and then expect me to call them backand pay for the call! :o:D ..............never have though :D:D

Only one [serious] complaint, all the other "annoyances" can be ignored.

Outrageous Wine Prices due to irrational import duties! :o

I've heard that prices will come down as FTA's are implemented, but it just can't happen soon enough.

Edited by NaiGreg

Poor water pressure and a lack of hot water.

Lack of common sense on the part of most people.

Not being able to find a decent snooker club, where at least they use a napped cloth on the tables and don't turn it into a disco.

Visa uncertainty despite being married for four years.

Thaksin!

The Wife being unable to make 2 + 2 into 4

Only one [serious] complaint, all the other "annoyances" can be ignored.

Outrageous Wine Prices due to irrational import duties!  :o

I've heard that prices will come down as FTA's are implemented, but it just can't happen soon enough.

DITTO! The Aussie - Thai FTA came into effect on Jan 1 but the change in wine prices is NOT likely to be seen for another year, at least :D

Another thing that also annoys me is being woken up at six in the morning to hear a Thai screaming his head off and calling it singing in celebration of Buddha. I don't care if someone has turned 20 and turned to the Buddha religion. All I care about at that hour is sleeping and getting the guy some bloody singing lessons instead of damaging my ear drums and a thousand other peoples including Buddha himself.

Step on their heels and say excuse me. You'll feel better.

How about the people that try to jam into an elevator or bus before people disembark.

I was at the Emporium with my Thai wife waiting for the elevator. The door opened and it was obvious to me the lady with the baby carriage was about to step out, my wife just walked in and blocked the way.

<deleted>?

How about the people that try to jam into an elevator or bus before people disembark.

I was at the Emporium with my Thai wife waiting for the elevator. The door opened and it was obvious to me the lady with the baby carriage was about to step out, my wife just walked in and blocked the way.

<deleted>?

This has always puzzled me as well.

It's something to do with the way a Thai thinks.

One time my gf asked me to get a bag down from the top of the wardrobe. I lifted down one bag and she immediately said "No, No, not that one!"

I explained that as the bag she wanted was underneath 2 others I had to take down 2 to get at the one she wanted. This is alien to her as it seems that a Thai will just tug at the one he/she wants, causing everything else to end up in a mess. I see the same when people take their luggage off of the buses. In fact I've had my luggage destroyed by impatient people.

Step on their heels and say excuse me. You'll feel better.

<deleted>?

Indeed.... <deleted>? :D

Well, how about driving down the highway -south of Khao Lak- behind a slowish... but not THAT slow semi-trailer - when a car and then a bus overtake BOTH of us... on a BEND forcing the oncoming traffic to swerve off the road.... A TOO NEAR MISS collision.... and then.... the bus pulls up in town a km down the road :o

It is the worst. These young females are dating males simply for a salary and farangs are taking advantage of broke young girls. They wouldn't do it in their own country because they wouldn't get away with it. If they were to get away with it, Thailand wouldn't be known by the majority of males as "The best place in the world".

Then it pisses me off when they use the excuse (which is my personal favourite) "It's the culture in Thailand". No it isn't the <deleted> culture. The girls are mostly put in the prostitution industry by their own parents becuse they are so hard up for cash and sometimes it's the only way a Thai girl can live. And if i even was their culture it isn't yours so why do it, because you know it isn't right.

Ohhh I know. It's because you carn't get laid back home so you pay to over here. Then even some of the falangs comment on how the women back at home are "no good" or "unattractive" and all the rest of the one liners you throw at us. But that isn't true at all. Your just bald, ugly, old or fat and would never have a chance in your wildest dreams with another woman back home.

But some falangs just do it simply for the sex. Yeah, the sex. Some admit it, some don't. I see hundreds of men populating the streets running around like boys in a sweet shop and they don't stop and think about what prats they look like. It amuses me but the more Ii think about it, it sickens me. But then again most males get ripped off by their wife/girlfriends and put everything in their name and stuff which I guess is good on them.

Yes he has maried a Thai. This is his third wife, he's already had one english one and one Thai. I tell him everyday how I dislike it, but I've given up and because no matter how much I tell him nothin will change his mind so I accept the mistake he has done. He's only doing it because he's lonely. And I make his life easier by getting on with his wife, for his sake.

It's kinda funny really beacuse she's like a little sister and I'm supposed to call her step-mum.

Well, if he married this sweet young thing 'because he is lonely', then he hasn't necessarily made a mistake, as getting married for the sake of companionship has some merit and is a practical reason.

...better than getting married after being temporarily smitten by romance or animal lust.

Edited by The_Moog

It is the worst. These young females are dating males simply for a salary and farangs are taking advantage of broke young girls.

Who is taking advantage of who?

They wouldn't do it in their own country because they wouldn't get away with it.

Get away with what? You've never seen rich old men with young attractive wives/girlfriends in Farang Land?

If they were to get away with it, Thailand wouldn't be known by the majority of males as "The best place in the world".

Then it pisses me off when they use the excuse (which is my personal favourite) "It's the culture in Thailand". No it isn't the <deleted> culture.

Yes it is!

The girls are mostly put in the prostitution industry by their own parents becuse they are so hard up for cash and sometimes it's the only way a Thai girl can live.

Most girls become prostitutes under their own volition

If it is the only way a Thai girl can live. What are you saying, Thai girls should die before becoming prostitutes?

And if i even was their culture it isn't yours so why do it, because you know it isn't right.

Now you say that foreigners should not embrace the culture of their adopted country

Ohhh I know. It's because you carn't get laid back home so you pay to over here. Then even some of the falangs comment on how the women back at home are "no good" or "unattractive" and all the rest of the one liners you throw at us. But that isn't true at all. Your just bald, ugly, old or fat and would never have a chance in your wildest dreams with another woman back home.

You don't know

But some falangs just do it simply for the sex. Yeah, the sex. Some admit it, some don't. I see hundreds of men populating the streets running around like boys in a sweet shop and they don't stop and think about what prats they look like. It amuses me but the more Ii think about it, it sickens me. But then again most males get ripped off  by their wife/girlfriends and put everything in their name and stuff which I guess is good on them.

AAh so now you understand. Thai girls are using their bodies as a stepping stone to rip off Farangs

You have been in Thailand for 5 minutes and now think that you know everything.

You know nothing about the way most farang men live in Thailand

Sweet young thing? Yes, for the moment until she grows up. And it isn't the right thing. Call me old fashioned but I believe the meaning of getting married is when you're in love with some one or even really care about someone enough to want to spend the rest of your days together.

My Dad dosen't love her, and he dosen't care for her. He's dosen't want to be alone so he's married a Thai. So he's just doing it to not be lonely. To me that is wrong.

Young "smitten" love, the majority of it is generally a few seconds long and rushed into with little thought. But at least they have feelings for each other. I'm not saying it's better or worse for that matter but why the comparison? Both are wrong.