My Brother-in-law Just Got Elected.

chownah

I keep asking what he will do but no one seems to know exactly what it is. I'm sure he does cause he did it several years before but didn't seek re-election since he got a job in Taiwan for two years...now he's back and re-elected. I'm hoping some graft gets thrown my way......maybe he can fix parking tickets.

Does anyone out there know what a village A.B.T. does? The gov't pays him 5000 baht per month and I've been told that he doesn't even have to go to an office every day or wear a tie....sweet!!!

Edited by chownah

My wife is from up country, and thier was an election in the village today. My wife translated what it means in Thai . Job title Executive for the Home. Job function:, making sure that all improvements that is done with the money from the central government is done correctly.

Barry

My wife is from up country, and thier was an election in the village today.  My wife translated  what it means in Thai . Job title Executive for the Home. Job function:, making sure that all improvements that is done with the money from the central government is done correctly.

Barry

Thanks, Barry. Does this mean that if the gov't paves some more of my soi then he could make sure they do it right and pave my driveway too?

Chownah

He'll go to meetings probably once a week, sometimes a bit more often, sometimes a bit less, as Barry says to discuss the use of funds allocated by the government. If he is in with the right group he could well make some money.

My father-in-law was elected the first time the a.b.t.s were introduced and not so many people were interested. He made the kamnan a bit nervous because he wasn't on the take. By the next time around the possibilities had become clear and he wasn't in a position to compete with those who had become interested in being elected. Really he was too old anyway but I felt sorry for him. He really loved being part of the meetings and often recounted them at great length, real parliamentary style in central Thai dialect.

My sister in law didn't make it :D

So no family in politics yet :o

The ABT's have quite some power to wield (meaning lots of extra income to be made)...

Building permits, Tabien Bahn's, etc. all are issued by your local ABT...

Yeah I can understand a Kamnan getting nervous because one of his people is not on the take :D .

I'm in the process of building 7 houses, and you cannot imagine the resourcefullness of the local ABT in getting money out of us. New PC for the local school, 2 bottles of black for the birthday of the Kamnan (not invited), 10000 in cash for the new years party, we were pretty relieved when we received or last Tabien Bahn :D

So far the only ones to benefit from his election are the spirits of our property...and not from the gov't but from my wife. This morning she offered a pig head and two chickens at our spirit house as thanks for her brothers election............I bet we have chicken for dinner....and maybe I'll try making a couple of silk purses.

Edited by chownah

I keep asking what he will do but no one seems to know exactly what it is.  I'm sure he does cause he did it several years before but didn't seek re-election since he got a job in Taiwan for two years...now he's back and re-elected.  I'm hoping some graft gets thrown my way......maybe he can fix parking tickets.

Does anyone out there know what a village A.B.T. does?  The gov't pays him 5000 baht per month and I've been told that he doesn't even have to go to an office every day or wear a tie....sweet!!!

A.B.T= oberdor(sp?)there are 2 /mooban they tend to deal with more civil stuff (building's, roads, drilling water ect) they actually get a buget from the goverment and any goverment work done in their moo ban they get 10% (legaly I've been told) plus the monthly income. Poo yai ban deals more with the people side of things (1 /moo ban).

Kanman is the poo yai for the tambon (about 10 moo ban's) and nai yok oberdor is the oberdor for the tombon.

Around here it cost about 20-40,000 in beer and "gifts" to run a campain to be elected ABT (both elected are cousins as is the poo yai ban) They also had the elections for nai yok ABT at the same time and your looking at big money there , talking last night we recon that they spent around 1,000,000 bhat plus on the election (an other cousin got it :o )

I'm just relising why they ban selling if alchol before the voting as emotions around the place were runing a bit high last night and the local police were distinctly nervous, the mother-in-laws shop had a good night though sold about 10,000 worth of whisky/beer for the celebration/comiseration parties. I was drinking in the house of the last ABT who was not re-elected this time(an other cousin) he'd blown about 40,000 on his campain, not too happy. The local police split themslevs up and attended most of the bigger gatherings...just in case.

My family also won again, I think its 24 years in a row now. If he is getting 5k per month, he is on the team, but not the Orbotor. The actual Orbortor gets 15k per month. My best Thai mate, also got elected in the same catergory and now he wont have to work construction for a living. Im very happy for him! :D

This is the first year they have won without my dear old departed Father in Law, they all went to the Wat last night and sent their regards to him. :D

Although my brother in law is the Kumnaan, the other brother in law is the Poo yai and now the cousin is the Orbortor - there is still no promise of a sealed road :o

RC is correct above.

If he is getting 5k per month, he is on the team, but not the Orbotor. The actual Orbortor gets 15k per month.
Torn, he'd be the Nai yok orbotor(chirman or boss orbador) if he's getting 15K, they get a staff as well that they can pick(not elected). A normal orbodor gets around 5k plus kick backs.

If he is getting 5k per month, he is on the team, but not the Orbotor. The actual Orbortor gets 15k per month.
Torn, he'd be the Nai yok orbotor(chirman or boss orbador) if he's getting 15K, they get a staff as well that they can pick(not elected). A normal orbodor gets around 5k plus kick backs.

RC, Is this the same as being village headman?

RC, Is this the same as being village headman?

No mate the "village headman" is the "poo yai ban" next up from him is "Kumnaan"

My family also won again, I think its 24 years in a row now. If he is getting 5k per month, he is on the team, but not the Orbotor. The actual Orbortor gets 15k per month. My best Thai mate, also got elected in the same catergory and now he wont have to work construction for a living. Im very happy for him!  :D

This is the first year they have won without my dear old departed Father in Law, they all went to the Wat last night and sent their regards to him.  :D

Although my brother in law is the Kumnaan, the other brother in law is the Poo yai and now the cousin is the Orbortor - there is still no promise of a sealed road  :D

RC is correct above.

Just read the story under News Clippings, must be a plum job for them to resort to murder and bribery to get elected :o

My family also won again, I think its 24 years in a row now. If he is getting 5k per month, he is on the team, but not the Orbotor. The actual Orbortor gets 15k per month. My best Thai mate, also got elected in the same catergory and now he wont have to work construction for a living. Im very happy for him!  :D

This is the first year they have won without my dear old departed Father in Law, they all went to the Wat last night and sent their regards to him.  :D

Although my brother in law is the Kumnaan, the other brother in law is the Poo yai and now the cousin is the Orbortor - there is still no promise of a sealed road  :D

RC is correct above.

Just read the story under News Clippings, must be a plum job for them to resort to murder and bribery to get elected :o

I think it is pretty clear that in many areas in LOS, being elected is pretty much synomymous with being a crook, a murderer or a gangster - most likely all three.