How Close To Property Line?

GiantFan

My next door neighbor recently constructed a sand filter and water holding tank. About 2 meters high and a real eyesore. It is less than 1/2 meter from my property line. They are Thai, I am not. Title deed is not Chanote (Nor Sor 3 Gor) but boundary is separated by a rock wall, so we both know the boundary line.

I thought I read that a 1 meter boundary was required from the property line. Anyone know if this is true? I realize I am not going to get them to move it, but want to know what the law says.

According to Building control regulation Act 2522 (1979), No.5, BE 2543(2000)

Article 50 of the building wall with windows, doors, ventilation windows, light box or balcony of a building must have a distance from the land boundary follows.

(1) building height does not exceed 9 m wall or balcony area of land must be located not less than 2 meters.

(2) buildings with a height of not more than 9 meters to 23 meters, wall or balcony area of land must be located not less than 3 meters.

Wall of a building located area of land less than the specified in (1) or (2) to stay away from the area of land not less than 50 cm unless construction aligned area of land and buildings will be a building not exceed 15. m the wall of the building that is close or far from land area land area is less than that specified in (1) or (2) to construct a wall. and then the roof of a high wall from the roof of not less than 1.80 meters in construction area of land close to receiving written consent from the owners of the land side by side.

Reference from The Department of Public Works and Planning website

http://www.dpt.go.th/law/sublaw.html (in Thai)

English website >>> Click

----------------------------

Anyway,in your case, I'm not sure for sand filter and water holding tank. Because Its not building structure(In case they built separately from house) therefore they could built next to property line. Actually, It depends on Municipality officer's consideration.

Edited by nara80

A friend went to court recently over this sort of thing, a neighbour had built a huge tin roof for his warehouse using the boundary wall as a support, he won the case but the judge said he could not tell the neighbour to remove it as he (the neighbour) would lose face! So legal fess in excess of 60,000 baht to win the case but no action to be taken. To add insult to injury when he tried to sell the land the neighbour would shout across in Thai telling people not to buy as it was the subject of a court case even after he had lost! Yes he wanted to buy at a knockdown price, luckily my friend was approached by someone he knew who offered to buy the land at the asking price!

Notice a lot of places build up to the boundary wall, one place finished about a month ago and another building now both 2 story high, asked a Thai friend about the Law, he said was fine because both had paid the 7,000 baht to the Municipality officer so was passed/approved

Pity the people that have a large window and door 2m away in the house behind, must now be very dark inside

Edited by ignis

A friend went to court recently over this sort of thing, a neighbour had built a huge tin roof for his warehouse using the boundary wall as a support, he won the case but the judge said he could not tell the neighbour to remove it as he (the neighbour) would lose face! So legal fess in excess of 60,000 baht to win the case but no action to be taken. To add insult to injury when he tried to sell the land the neighbour would shout across in Thai telling people not to buy as it was the subject of a court case even after he had lost! Yes he wanted to buy at a knockdown price, luckily my friend was approached by someone he knew who offered to buy the land at the asking price!

Ah yes, that cultural defect that afflicts all that are from here and that those of us who aren't will never understand! FACE!!!

Theres a superb one in Patong where a guesthouse was built and it actually extends out 'over' the next door bar due to its balcony or other part that sticks out.. Comedy gold.

I was thinking of a photo report 'adventures in architecture' as you would get some doozies..

According to Building control regulation Act 2522 (1979), No.5, BE 2543(2000)

Article 50 of the building wall with windows, doors, ventilation windows, light box or balcony of a building must have a distance from the land boundary follows.

(1) building height does not exceed 9 m wall or balcony area of land must be located not less than 2 meters.

(2) buildings with a height of not more than 9 meters to 23 meters, wall or balcony area of land must be located not less than 3 meters.

Wall of a building located area of land less than the specified in (1) or (2) to stay away from the area of land not less than 50 cm unless construction aligned area of land and buildings will be a building not exceed 15. m the wall of the building that is close or far from land area land area is less than that specified in (1) or (2) to construct a wall. and then the roof of a high wall from the roof of not less than 1.80 meters in construction area of land close to receiving written consent from the owners of the land side by side.

Reference from The Department of Public Works and Planning website

http://www.dpt.go.th/law/sublaw.html (in Thai)

English website >>> Click

----------------------------

Anyway,in your case, I'm not sure for sand filter and water holding tank. Because Its not building structure(In case they built separately from house) therefore they could built next to property line. Actually, It depends on Municipality officer's consideration.

TNX for the info and link.. GL