How To Monitor Savings Account

I just opened a savings account at Bangkok Bank's main office. No problem there, but I walked away without asking how I could keep track of my cash. I've been banking online in the States so long it just didn't occur to me that with that option unavailable I needed another way.

What is it? Can't believe they mail out monthly statements.

I saw mention in the "opening a bank account" thread of checking up by phone but the number for telephone banking on the BB website -- 0-645-5555 -- produces a Thai language response only and offers no option for choosing English. Am I missing something?

I certainly do hope I don't have to track my cash using ATM machines. That would be too tedious to be true. On the other hand, it appears that I now have a savings account that pays no interest, so anything's possible.

Thanks.

Shido

Please call 1333.

There is an English menu and we have English speaking staff always working.

They will answer your questions. Thanks

If you live here you can get iBanking and check online. It is the same product as used in the US by CHASE and many others.

Ian

Edited by ianguygil

If you opened a savings account you received a blue bank book, you can get this updated at the Cashiers desk or by using the Automatic Passbook Update machine.

Bangkok Bank do not mail out statements, I have never had one in the 4 years I have been with them.

If you live here you can get iBanking and check online. It is the same product as used in the US by CHASE and many others.

Ian's right, but as I see the OP has just opened a savings account, I must assume that he is here in Thailand now. You need to be here to make the online connection, but then anywhere in the world to check your account online. And do other general banking things. Only thing, as you are setting it up, the bank still insists you have a mobile phone number for SMS. I had one of the people working in the bank use her number standing behind me as I set it up, and then you go to the preferences page and change everything from the phone number to email notifications.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. That graphic of the BB online log-in totally convinces me that it's out there, but for me?

When signing up for my savings account I asked about ibanking and the efficient young lady told me with certitude that as I have an O-A visa and no work permit I can't get ibanking.

Since I am a resident -- if that means having a rental contract, which I do, and which I flashed at the efficient young lady -- I'll go back and give it another try. Maybe she wasn't such an efficient young lady after all.

But what the heck: have to buy another liter of soy milk at Villa Market anyway.

Thanks all.

Shido

Edited by Shido

Thanks for all the helpful responses. That graphic of the BB online log-in totally convinces me that it's out there, but for me?

When signing up for my savings account I asked about ibanking and the efficient young lady told me with certitude that as I have an O-A visa and no work permit I can't get ibanking.

Since I am a resident -- if that means having a rental contract, which I do, and which I flashed at the efficient young lady -- I'll go back and give it another try. Maybe she wasn't such an efficient young lady after all.

But what the heck: have to buy another liter of soy milk at Villa Market anyway.

Thanks all.

Shido

Please PM me.

I will send you my Bank email and we can make sure this moves along smoothly. Thanks

Ian

Thanks all.

Shido

According to Bangkok Bank's home page you need to supply the following in order to apply for Internet Banking:

* Passbook(s)

* Citizen ID card or

* 13-digit government photo ID card

* Valid Passport (foreigners only*)

* Valid Work Permit or Certificate of Residence (foreigners only*)

So as a foreigner you would (at least fficially) need either a Work Permit or a Certificate of Residence (which you can get from either Immigration or your embassy). I don't know if a yellow tabien bahn would be accepted instead of the work permit/certificate of residence, but I think it probably would. Their official policy is only to supply access to Internet Banking if you live in Thailand. From Bangkok Bank's FAQ:

"If I am in Thailand as a tourist, can I use Bualaung iBanking or Bualuang Phone?

No, in accordance with Bank of Thailand's regulations you must be a resident of Thailand or have a current work permit."

Sophon

Please call 1333.

Ian

Hi Ian,Bangkok Bank told me foreigner need a workpermit if they want to use iBanking,no workpermit,no iBanking,was the reason why I changed to Kasikorn

Please call 1333.

Ian

Hi Ian,Bangkok Bank told me foreigner need a workpermit if they want to use iBanking,no workpermit,no iBanking,was the reason why I changed to Kasikorn

I will send you a PM as with the other poster. If you want to use iBanking still I will see what I can do to help.

From our website, these are the actual conditions. You do not need a work permit. But you need proof that you live here, not a hotel address.

"How to apply

1. Apply at an ATM

You can register for Bualuang iBanking at any Bangkok Bank ATM using an ATM card or a Be1st debit card between the hours of 7 a.m. – 10 p.m. For detailed instructions, please click here.

Please note: if you do not have an ATM or debit card, please sign up at a branch.

2. Apply at any Bangkok Bank branch

Step 1: Visit a branch and submit documents Visit any Bangkok Bank branch and fill in a Bualuang iBanking Application Form. Submit the form at the branch together with the required documents:

• Citizen ID card or valid passport
  • Passbook(s)

Foreign customers should provide their passport and evidence of a local residential address (not a PO Box or Hotel). Please also bring details of any accounts you wish to pre-register.

"

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Online%20Banking/For%20Personal/iBanking/How%20to%20Apply/Pages/Default.aspx

If I remember correctly, when I signed up for internet banking with BKKB, I had my passbook, my ATM card, my passport, and my driver's licence to show my address. I don't have a work permit, as I'm here on an O-A.