Book Smarts Vs Street Smarts?

baht&sold

Ok, so those who know me know I live a fairly quiet life outside constant work and the odd TV pub crawl (and I do mean ODD) :D

So other than posting on TV, I have another passion, which is watching TV aka, the boob tube- and that isn't in reference to last night at Larry's as Tornado pointed out, altho come to think about it.... :o

Anyways, I'm a big fan of Mark Burnett and his various 'reality' shows. The next up is Donald Trump and The Apprentice with a new theme-

Street smarts Vs Book smarts.

Basically, starting thurs on starworld here, instead of the Ivy leaguers facing off in cunning cut throat fashion, you have the non uni's vs the street smart set, leaving only one Apprentice...

I'm betting on the streets on this one :D You??

Book smarts are mostly useless in the real world. The only thing book smarts are useful for is a particular career path one may wish to travel on and nothing further. Most of the university graduates I have met that graduated with honors are some of the most dense, ignorant people around.

Street smarts are very useful in the real world on the other hand. It's too bad that most people are not in possesion of both at the same time. I have learned much more in my travels around the world than I ever did in school.

Street smarts win hands down.

I think it depends on what the aim is. Street vs uni is pitting two different ways of thinking - a practical, can-do thought process as opposed to a regurgitation of a narrow band of knowledge. Perhaps the optimum would be a streetwise person with the knowledge and thought processes honed by a sound education.

In reality, most people are somewhere in between, but I do agree that a mixture would be ideal. I studied for my first degree when I was 31, and couldn't believe how simplistically the 18 yr olds saw life. I also found it difficult to work out what they did with their time - I was holding down a job, had small children and an active social life, and yet I managed to study more than full-time students (we all took the same subject over the same time frame).

Knowledge is power, but one needs to know how best to use that power. Personally, I like my staff to have knowledge (although not necessarily a degree) and the nouse to use it wisely.

My money's on the streets.

This is a hard one for me, because I have both. I grew up in and around some of the toughest neighborhoods in New York, and I managed to get a very good university education.

I guess it's difficult because I know all too well the sacrafice and self-doubt that is involved in moving between the two opposites, or, transition. You will never fully belong to one, because you are comprised of both.

However, I can honestly say that sometimes having both perspectives is downright unfair, especially to the textbook-only crowd :o

Some people say at home, that the smartest criminal Lawyer that NZ ever produced, was a guy called Mike Bungay.

He started his law degree at age 40.

He had the street smarts honed from years of being a bit of a "jack the lad" and backed that up with academic qualifications.He had the best of both worlds. When police procecuters used to find out that mike was defending a case, they nine times out of ten <deleted> themselves.

Footnote: A court baliff turned up at his house one day to collect a traffic fine from Jock Bungay(forget the real name), so he introduced the baliff to his dog...he had registered his car in his dogs name. :o (The Law has changed since then!!)