Imports To Thailand?

My question is basically if any one has tried an imports operation based in Thailand and what was the experence like?

I see a lot of exports posts, but there are a lot of products made in near by countries that I think would probly sell well.

My question is basically if any one has tried an imports operation based in Thailand and what was the experence like?

I see a lot of exports posts, but there are a lot of products made in near by countries that I think would probly sell well.

Even with the best product, the success will depend on whether you can create an efficient and profitable distribution system. Which products did you have in mind?

The largest import operation in Thailand is "farangs" -- you could try importing 'Kheks" but I think you should focus on the current trend because it is still "glowing"

The largest import operation in Thailand is "farangs"  -- you could try importing 'Kheks" but I think you should focus on the current trend because it is still "glowing"

Surely the largest import is Dollar/Euro/Pound, The farang is just the "efficient and profitable distribution system"

totster :o

Even with the best product, the success will depend on whether you can create an efficient and profitable distribution system. Which products did you have in mind?

condoms and alcohol, 2 sure fire winners

I don't know much about import/export, but I was thinking along the same lines one day. I thought if you could come up with something cheap that the Thais would really love. The problem I had was thinking of that cheap thing. I feel that marketing to Thais would be more profitable than an expat or tourist population.

condoms and alcohol, 2 sure fire winners

??? the worlds condoms are made by durex in rayong ???

alcohol is plenty already :o

Or you are a troll, or you need to revise your business plan :D

Most Products / Manufacturers which might be of any interest at all will almost certainly have an Exclusive Distributorship agreement with a local Company already.

For Consumer Products your advertising expenditure in the initial stages would mean that you would need to be very well funded to survive through the growth stages for your Product here if – a very big if – you can find a niche Product at all of course.

Patrick

I don't know much about import/export, but I was thinking along the same lines one day. I thought if you could come up with something cheap that the Thais would really love.  The problem I had was thinking of that cheap thing. I feel that marketing to Thais would be more profitable than an expat or tourist population.

The English language! :o:D

I don't know much about import/export, but I was thinking along the same lines one day. I thought if you could come up with something cheap that the Thais would really love.  The problem I had was thinking of that cheap thing. I feel that marketing to Thais would be more profitable than an expat or tourist population.

The English language! :o:D

That's why I am moving there.

I BRING YOU ENGLISH! :D

A pocket sized ATM machine with twin built-in sockets for both AIS & DTAC; one red and one black button -- the former, featuring "farang of the day" with matching socks & code #s for instantaneous withdrawals; the latter for SWIFT, feeless transfer to Mama -- a wedge with headphone output for CD/DVD music & a small TV screen with locked channel @ Thai Comedy Central -- optional but liable to overload the system ..... English language instruction manual.

I import a lot, mostly it works without major problem. Only sometimes the customs clearing does not work (specially on small imports, the big ones always worked) and if there are some fightings, for example FedEx does not pay their bride, than the customs want more import tax.......

but in generall no big problems.

for example FedEx does not pay their bride

I find it shocking that a supposedly respectable company such as Fedex should resort to a feudal system of arranged marriages and dowry payments in order to further their own ends in Thailand. I shall be writing a stern letter to the Times.

I know your taking the piss, but I'm yet to see an international freight company that does not take liberties in on way or another.mainly with customers. :o

I don't know much about import/export, but I was thinking along the same lines one day. I thought if you could come up with something cheap that the Thais would really love. The problem I had was thinking of that cheap thing. I feel that marketing to Thais would be more profitable than an expat or tourist population.

I beg to differ! The biggest conversation topic I hear in my local expat community is FOOD. They want their favourite FARANG FOODs and they want it NOW!

I have a vision ... "FARANG FOODS" chains stores across the country with gleeful farangs running from the check-outs in pure ecstasy! :o:D:D

I had two times imports blocked. One I sent back to Australia, one I forwarded to Europe. FedEx should either pay what is usual here, or in such cases should fight out the battle. But no, they tell the customer that customs does not let it in or customs want 100x of the real tax. So at the end they forward their problems to the customer, thats not OK.

OK, just 2 cases in 2 or 3 years, in both they told me they have a fighting with customs due to not pay their coffee money.

for example FedEx does not pay their bride

I find it shocking that a supposedly respectable company such as Fedex should resort to a feudal system of arranged marriages and dowry payments in order to further their own ends in Thailand. I shall be writing a stern letter to the Times.

I get a few samples from the exporter; then ask my shipping agent to present these samples to the customs (not a photo, the real thing) and ask the custom duty. Then make a larger order, and make sure it goes to the same terminal it was checked in.

That way they don't play too many games.