The Thaivisa Movie Reviews Thread.

Shivek

I saw Goal! this weekend and I honestly thought that it was one of the better movies I've seen this year. It is definitely one of the best sports movies I've ever seen, at least a top 20. I thought the story was excellent, and the characters well developed. I really, really liked the Newcastle Manager's character, and that actor was wonderful. I also liked the 'scout' who discovers the main character. The main character is played, I think, by a relative newcomer, but he does a great job. I am wondering what long time followers of the EPL, and Newcastle in particluar, (I am neither) think of the movie. Was it OK? Or just totally unbelieveable?

I think I read that it is the first of a trilogy with the second movie involving a move to Real Madrid, and the final movie culminating with the 2006 World Cup.

I also saw Oliver Twist, directed by Roman Polanski, and can highly recommend this as well. I can see Ben Kingsley getting an Oscar nomination (best supporting actor) for his portrayal of Fagin.

Jarhead

Good points:

Jake Gyllenhaal reminds me alot of a young Nicolas Cage and did a first rate job as lead character.

Well written, and quite humorous at times.

Soundtrack was good.

Not so good points:

Director bit off more than he could chew.

Cinematics were only so-so. The wobbly camera thing works if you are filming from a first person perspective, otherwise its called poor camera control.

A few dead spots that add nothing to the film.

Had Coppola, Scorsese, or Zemeckis been directing this, it could have been great. They weren't, and it wasn't.

Jarhead

Good points:

Jake Gyllenhaal reminds me alot of a young Nicolas Cage and did a first rate job as lead character.

Well written, and quite humorous at times.

Soundtrack was good.

Not so good points:

Director bit off more than he could chew.

Cinematics were only so-so. The wobbly camera thing works if you are filming from a first person perspective, otherwise its called poor camera control.

A few dead spots that add nothing to the film.

Had Coppola, Scorsese, or Zemeckis been directing this, it could have been great. They weren't, and it wasn't.

This sounds good, is it in general release (theatres? DVD? in Thailand?)? The director, Sam Mendes, did pretty well on his first-ever film (Oscars for Best Picture, Oscar for Best Director) (and if wife is no slouch either), and the screenwriter, William Broyles (decorated Marine, Vietnam Vet) is an excellent writer (Apollo 13, Cast Away {directed by Zemeckis}, Entrapment). He also created a TV series, China Beach, that I liked.

Couldn't hold a candle to Apocalypse Now I suppose.

The Dude above made a solid point about Mendes though as his American Beauty was a masterpiece. Scorsese is still awaiting that elusive oscar that he deserves. The Dude really really digs Scorsese; Why you ask? Cause The Dude digs him because he Scores Easy. The Dude can dig, will dig and always digs dudes who score easy cause scoring easy is hard. Can you dig it?

Edited by The Dude

Couldn't hold a candle to Apocalypse Now I suppose.

The Dude above made a solid point about Mendes though as his American Beauty was a masterpiece. Scorsese is still awaiting that elusive oscar that he deserves. The Dude really really digs Scorsese; Why you ask? Cause The Dude digs him because he Scores Easy. The Dude can dig, will dig and always digs dudes who score easy cause scoring easy is hard. Can you dig it?

Not sure about scoring, but if marriages count he's doing well! I think he's on wife no. 5. Isabella Rosselini was no. 3.

His new film (due in 2006), "The Departed" looks like it might be FANTASTIC!

The cast is killer, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Alec Baldwin, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen...it looks to be about Whitey Bulger and the Winter-Hill gang.

Derailed - Jen Anniston/Clive Owen film - sort of a combo of Unfaithful/Perfect Murder. Good popcorn film - enjoyed it immensely. :o

Where did you see this? I'm guessing somewhere other than Thailand? Anyway, I love Clive Owen, ok not really, but I do think he's a great actor. I really enjoyed him in the BMW films and my favorites where "The Chosen" directed by Ang Lee and "Beat the Devil" directed by Tony Scott (with appearances by James Brown and Gary Oldman).

Hate to be contrary but I was very bored by it. He didn't actually become BATMAN for more than an hour, which is fine if the 'how he became Batman' part was better than it was.

I agree. The movie is very boring :o

I feel the same way , good thing I saw it on an airplane so I got a few hours sleep .

• 1 year later...
The movie "Crash" just launched in cinemas a few days ago and i went to see it tonight. Its a different movie than any i've ever seen at it makes you think, that's all i'll say. Go see it, you won't regret it :o

Here's a little what its about:

A Brentwood housewife and her DA husband. A Persian storeowner. Two police detectives, who are also lovers. A black television director and his wife. A Mexican locksmith. Two car-jackers. A rookie cop. A middle-aged Korean couple. They all live in Los Angeles. And, in the next 36 hours, they will all collide.

And a review by movieseer:

http://www.movieseer.com/ReviewsBil.asp?mo...6&Channel=2

One of the less talked about movies, but certainly one of the movies of the year, its also got a great cast like Brendan Fraser, Sandra Bullock, etc. I don't usually "cheer" for movies, but i thought after watching it tonight, its worth recommending it to others. :D

I loved Crash. One of the best films of the year so far. Very intelligent. Great characterisations and one of those movies whether apparently different subplots all come together and shows how closely we are all related.

Great stuff. Go see it. You won't regret it (unless you're the kind of person who thinks Fantastic Four is a good movie).

Completely agree about Crash- the plot lines are somewhat impossibly crossed as it's neccesary but you'll forgive that. Go see it, great movie. It lingers...
I saw Crash (after reading the reviews here) and I definitely agree that it is indeed a great movie... quite sad but one of the worthy films one should see..

I'm a bit behind the times here, but hey... at least I searched for the thread... :D

I've finally watched this. I was very impressed, touched, all of it.

well played out movie, could have been longer in my opinion.

Gives a good insight into the racial tensions that some people (not just in LA) around the globe live in, daily.

Very insightful cross cultural movie.