The Thaivisa Movie Reviews Thread.

Shivek

• 3 weeks later...

War Of The Worlds

Tom Cruise kicks some alien arse, but get's his own kicked by little Dakota Fanning who is a far superior actor to Cruise who hasn't changed characters since 1986. Special effects are great, but writing sucks where technology is concerned. Apparently the martians have the technology to travel between planets, ride lightning bolts, and build nearly indestructable weapons, but unlike a cheap set of infrared gogles that anyone can buy at an army surplus shop, the probes sent into the house to find the humans can only see the visible light spectrum, and needs a flashlight.

That said, the visuals are great and lots of big things explode. :o

Another plus is that it more closely resembles the original by HG Wells, rather than the Mercury Theatre version of 1938.

cv

Fantastic 4

Ratings : 4/10

Another comic heroes come-to-life movie but i figure this movie was not really meant for the cinema as the effects wasn't as big for the cinema effects.

Through out the entire movie, i think the Human Torch stole the show even though most of the guys will be looking at Jessica Alba soon-to-be invisible effect.

Well if you're a big fan of these heroes when you were small (like me) it is worth watching your "heroes" come to life in the big screen.

Explorer :o

Team America - World Police (DVD/VCD)

Ratings - 4/10

* Not for children viewing (PG)

Not too sure if this is a new movie or not

The creator of South park at their best again - a hilarious yet controversial movie with tons and tons of the "F" word. This time it is not an animation (cartoon) but puppets with strings, something that is still on the experimenting version the way i looked at it.

The story about a group of Americans called themself - Team America, in which their main mission is to save the world from terrorist but instead they would cause more damage then what the terrorist would have done.

If you're a South Park fan, then this is your type of movie and also, you could check this movie if you want to see puppets "making out" :o:D

Explorer :D

Hate to be contrary but I was very bored by it. He didn't actually become BATMAN for more than an hour, which is fine if the 'how he became Batman' part was better than it was.

I think Christian Bale makes a terrible BATMAN (he's great in 'The Machinist'--a good film save for the ending-- 'American Psycho' and 'Empire of the Sun').

The movie "Crash" just launched in cinemas a few days ago and i went to see it tonight. Its a different movie than any i've ever seen at it makes you think, that's all i'll say. Go see it, you won't regret it :o

Here's a little what its about:

A Brentwood housewife and her DA husband. A Persian storeowner. Two police detectives, who are also lovers. A black television director and his wife. A Mexican locksmith. Two car-jackers. A rookie cop. A middle-aged Korean couple. They all live in Los Angeles. And, in the next 36 hours, they will all collide.

And a review by movieseer:

http://www.movieseer.com/ReviewsBil.asp?mo...D=566&Channel=2

One of the less talked about movies, but certainly one of the movies of the year, its also got a great cast like Brendan Fraser, Sandra Bullock, etc. I don't usually "cheer" for movies, but i thought after watching it tonight, its worth recommending it to others. :D

I loved Crash. One of the best films of the year so far. Very intelligent. Great characterisations and one of those movies whether apparently different subplots all come together and shows how closely we are all related.

Great stuff. Go see it. You won't regret it (unless you're the kind of person who thinks Fantastic Four is a good movie).

Went to watch this on Sunday and thought it was great! I have "Ong Bak" on dvd and think that is good also, but harder to follow if you cannot speak any thai (luckily I can speak some) But "Tom Yum Koong" is superb! And alot of it is in English as it is set in Oz. Has anyone else seen these films and what did you think?

Bang....

What did you guys think of Jaypetch Toonchalong? She played the Thai girlfriend of Jamie Foxx in Stealth. She's cute but I think Hollywood could of found a better girl. Hopefully Jaypetch will be able to use her small role in Stealth to get another movie gig.

They showed Thailand as an exotic place and had a scene where Foxx grabs her shoulder and illicits a bad reaction from her. Not sure if it would be how a Thai girl would react though.

Stealth - basic topgun pilots gain new wingman - AI controlled plane. He*l breaks loose when AI plane gets struck by lightening. Nice FX, but I'd wait to to see it on dvd.

Just saw "Dukes of Hazzard" and the only redeeming part of the movie was being able to watch Jessica Simpson who is just a doll. She is only in the movie for about 20 minutes though. Jokes were just stupid in this movie so I wouldn't recommend it. :o

Team America - World Police (DVD/VCD)

Ratings - 4/10

* Not for children viewing (PG)

Not too sure if this is a new movie or not

The creator of South park at their best again - a hilarious yet controversial movie with tons and tons of the "F" word. This time it is not an animation (cartoon) but puppets with strings, something that is still on the experimenting version the way  i looked at it.

The story about a group of Americans called themself - Team America, in which their main mission is to save the world from terrorist but instead they would cause more damage then what the terrorist would have done.

If you're a South Park fan, then this is your type of movie and also, you could check this movie if you want to see puppets "making out"  :o  :D

Explorer  :D

The Dude rates this movie a 10/10. The Dude worships this movie. He has watched it 10 times and never gets sick of it. The movie is hilarious. There is some great funny songs here sung by puppets, like the Kim Jong Il character singing "I'm So Ronery". Another song is the Team America theme song; "America, <deleted> yeah, We're gonna save the mother f*ckin' day yeah". The Team America dudes fight terrorism around the globe, even if it means blowing up the Eiffel Tower or Mount Rushmore by mistake. This movie also goofs and spoofs Hollywood movies in general with a karate scene and other cliches as well as ridiculing Hollywood liberal actors. It is a must see for any comedy fan. I rate this movie in the top 10 funniest movies of all time. Now that's saying something

Hate to be contrary but I was very bored by it. He didn't actually become BATMAN for more than an hour, which is fine if the 'how he became Batman' part was better than it was.

I agree. The movie is very boring :o

What I need to know is who on earth would think that Batman would even be worth seeing? Sounds like a waste of time to me, like going to see Cat Woman or something. As far as Crash is concerned, I picked up the DVD and I see that the movie is highly rated. Haven't seen it yet but confident it will be solid

Has anyone seen the Aussie movie "Hercules Returns"? Or any equally silly Aussie movies?

Am trying to organise a low-key Aussie Film Fest on Phuket and short of importing them from Down Under... just wondering if there are any sources here in Thailand that stock good quality Aussie DVD films?