Can I Buy A Kindle In Thailand?

simon43

Easy question!

I'm in Bangkok right now for a few days, and want to buy a Kindle to see if it would make a good Xmas present for my children in the UK, (they love to read). I also want to test the experimental web browser, to see if they could use it to check/send emails (right now, my 12 year old is emailing me from her mobile phone, which is a pretty good achievement when no-one has helped her to figure out how to do this...)

Thanks

Simon

I'm not sure if kindle is available in Bangkok or not, but I can tell you as a reading device the kindle is amazing. As a web browser it's very basic, when I first got my kindle I had a quick play with the web browser wasn't very impressed and haven't used it since. As for sending emails you can, but it's very difficult because the cursor doesn't move like a mouse. The screen is not like a computer it uses a refreshing system. You also need to be aware that you can not use the 3G version for web browsing or sending emails it can only be used for buying books. You have to be connected to wi-fi to use web browsing and email.

You can buy it on the Amazon UK site and have them ship to your child in UK.

As far as I am informed there is already Kimble (thailand) you can google it.

Whether it is worth buying it here, is an entirely different question.

I like reading myself. I am thinking of buying one, but have doubts. Many and different kind of doubts. Sic.

Well, the primary use would be as a reader for my daughter. I understand from the reviews and details about the Kindle that the 3G version is available in the UK with free 3G access, and that Amazon has confirmed to customers that whilst they do not encourage users to use the free connection to access the web/send email etc, there is no technical reason that restricts this.

The Kindle is a lot cheaper than the iPad! (And I have 3 kids ==> $$$$). Additionally, my kids do not want a 'computer' with all applications etc. They have that at school and there is a desktop PC at home. What they want is a lightweight device on which they can read books, check and send simple emails, and access documents that I send to them. (I understand that I can send them docs in the correct file format. So it seems feasible that they could store many different types of documents on their Kindle, such as school timetables. They just need to get them converted to the right file format, which I can for them.

But I want to buy one myself - to test out everything first. Nothing worst than Dad sending an Xmas present that doesn't do what you want!

Simon

I was on a long haul flight recently and the women next to me had a kindle. It was the first one I have ever seen and I was impressed. The edge was taken off it though when she kept reverting to reading her old fashioned paper book during take off and landing and several times though the actual flight.

The problem I have with Kindle is the books you buy remains for your own use exclusively. You can't lend a Kindle ebook to a friend or trade it in for another book such as you can with a normal book.

At least the Nook give you the option to lend books to friends.

Well, the primary use would be as a reader for my daughter. I understand from the reviews and details about the Kindle that the 3G version is available in the UK with free 3G access, and that Amazon has confirmed to customers that whilst they do not encourage users to use the free connection to access the web/send email etc, there is no technical reason that restricts this.

The Kindle is a lot cheaper than the iPad! (And I have 3 kids ==> $$). Additionally, my kids do not want a 'computer' with all applications etc. They have that at school and there is a desktop PC at home. What they want is a lightweight device on which they can read books, check and send simple emails, and access documents that I send to them. (I understand that I can send them docs in the correct file format. So it seems feasible that they could store many different types of documents on their Kindle, such as school timetables. They just need to get them converted to the right file format, which I can for them.

But I want to buy one myself - to test out everything first. Nothing worst than Dad sending an Xmas present that doesn't do what you want!

Simon

Yes you can store nearly all doc file formats on your computer with ease, I have a lot of work files on mine which are quick and easy to access without carrying around a pile of papers. They have made it very simple to put docs on your kindle. They give you a personal kindle email, which you send your docs to and they convert them for you and the kindle downloads when you turn on wi-fi. But beware that if you have a 3G kindle and receive docs over it Amazon with charge you for it.

The problem I have with Kindle is the books you buy remains for your own use exclusively. You can't lend a Kindle ebook to a friend or trade it in for another book such as you can with a normal book.

At least the Nook give you the option to lend books to friends.

Book lending on the kindle will be available before the end of the year

The Kindle is a lot cheaper than the iPad! (And I have 3 kids ==> $$$$). Additionally, my kids do not want a 'computer' with all applications etc. They have that at school and there is a desktop PC at home. What they want is a lightweight device on which they can read books, check and send simple emails, and access documents that I send to them. (I understand that I can send them docs in the correct file format. So it seems feasible that they could store many different types of documents on their Kindle, such as school timetables. They just need to get them converted to the right file format, which I can for them.

Simon

The kindle is great. I boughtthe DX. They deliver direct via dhl in about 4 days. We browser is a bit basic but good for on tghe move...n flash etc. Think of it as txt based plus rather than a modern one. There is a firm in Bangkock sells but is expensive. Best to get it sent to UK by them or extra shipping and vat etc.

Can you use the Kindle to read in the dark, like with a PC or laptop?

No, but you can buy a case that has a book light in it or a book light is fine. With the book light it feels the same as reading a normal book.

Thanks.

I saw that on the Amazon site, but didn't understand it's purpose.

I guess I skipped over the details part.

Terry

The Kindle is a lot cheaper than the iPad! (And I have 3 kids ==> $). Additionally, my kids do not want a 'computer' with all applications etc. They have that at school and there is a desktop PC at home. What they want is a lightweight device on which they can read books, check and send simple emails, and access documents that I send to them. (I understand that I can send them docs in the correct file format. So it seems feasible that they could store many different types of documents on their Kindle, such as school timetables. They just need to get them converted to the right file format, which I can for them.

Simon

random thoughts...

I just got a new Kindle 3 a few days ago for 3700 baht (in the US). It's great as a reader, but i'm not using it for Amazon's selections ($10 for a digital paperback! jesus..) . i just use it for my own ebooks and documents and drawings for work. I like that it can render PDF files decently, though having a full size Kindle DX would probably be better given that my PDFs are full page. (Unfortunately Amazon decided to reduced the pixel density from 167 to 150dpi on the DX)

The browser is still pretty weak, but that could improve in future firmware versions. Even checking email would be a bit tedious. Hopefully this will change in future releases. I strongly recommend against buying this for the purpose of browsing unless things change drastically. They won't.

There a lot of flaws IMHO, some in design and some in implementation:

• Lacking a touch screen, web browsing is quite painful and the slooooow b&w screen doesn't make things better.
  • MP3 playback is AMAZINGLY poorly implemented. Imagine this.... Take an ipod shuffle with no display, then remove the 'previous track' button and the 'fast forward' function from the next track button. It can only skip to the next track and there is no on screen display for MP3s at all - nothing. This could be quite a cool player, but they failed miserably.
  • Amazon has decided to block VoIP and voice chat apps and vowed to never allow them yet the Kindle has an [unused] microphone. Why not expand the functionality of the device?
  • The GUI and navigation feels quite clumsy. It is non intuitive imho.
  • Apps are still almost non-existant, just a handful of puzzle and card games.
  • the keyboard quality is about on par with a label maker and equally as enjoyable to use. Not important as a reader, but something to consider for other purposes.

If it's a gift for the kids, i would be tempted to wait for the flood of Android tablets coming. It won't be as cheap as the kindle, and won't have an e-ink screen, but they'll use it much more.

Edited by Veazer

I promise not to hijack this thread, but it seems to me that most of the negative remarks regarding the Kindle are answered through: The iPad!!!

They aren't directly comparable imho.

The kindle is a low price e-reader with a few extra capabilities, the ipad is a rather pricey tablet that can be used as an e-reader. The ipad will cost far more, at least 400% more than I paid for my Kindle. The base price is $500 for 8GB and no 3G. 3G adds $130 and doubling the storage adds $100 ($500 for 8GB, $600 for 16GB, $700 for 32GB)

I've got a 16GB ipad and I wouldn't want to use it for reading for more than 90 minutes or so, the eyestrain would get to me. The ipad is really convenient but i'm often forced to switch to a PC because the ipad renders a web page wrong and i can't use it. For instance, just a moment ago I was trying to use an online chat feature at an e-commerce site and it wouldn't work, i could only see what the support person was typing but couldn't type myself. Also, Apple's tight grip on the ipad bothers me, they blocked the Google Voice app that would have allowed free calling just to protect AT&T and for a long time didn't even allow skype over 3g. I would prefer a more open platform like Android. Needless to say, my next tablet won't be built by Apple.

OTOH, I've got a little Dell Mini 9 netbook running XP and Linux and it is far more usable. It might lack the wow factor, but it does what i want well and cost a fraction of the ipad.

Edited by Veazer

does the kindle read normal ebook's or do they have to be re-formatted? so can the ebook's i already have on my laptop be copied/sent to the kindle i was thinking of buying, or can you ONLY get the book's via amazon???

The Kindle 3 reads most common ebook formats, have a look at their specs for more info. I use "Calibre eBook Management" to convert the others. I've never even registered my Kindle. PDF can be a pain because they are usually formatted for a full page (printable) and the kindle is a 6" screen, but I just use landscape mode. If you have lots of PDF eBooks, you might consider the Kindle DX instead

• 8 months later...

I just talked to a fellow recently who at the local linux users group, he ordered the Kindle from amazon and had it delivered to his home (Bangkok), If im not mistaken he used DHL as the shipping company and they handled all the import tax (rape) business.

But you might want to look at the new Barnes and Noble Nook Touch, two month battery life boggles my mind.

Edited by justsumhelp

I'm not sure if kindle is available in Bangkok or not, but I can tell you as a reading device the kindle is amazing. As a web browser it's very basic, when I first got my kindle I had a quick play with the web browser wasn't very impressed and haven't used it since. As for sending emails you can, but it's very difficult because the cursor doesn't move like a mouse. The screen is not like a computer it uses a refreshing system. You also need to be aware that you can not use the 3G version for web browsing or sending emails it can only be used for buying books. You have to be connected to wi-fi to use web browsing and email.

?

You can use 3G connection to browse and it is free in global scale.You do not know this because you had bought wi-fi version?

• 3 weeks later...

random thoughts...

I just got a new Kindle 3 a few days ago for 3700 baht (in the US). It's great as a reader, but i'm not using it for Amazon's selections ($10 for a digital paperback! jesus..) . i just use it for my own ebooks and documents and drawings for work. I like that it can render PDF files decently, though having a full size Kindle DX would probably be better given that my PDFs are full page. (Unfortunately Amazon decided to reduced the pixel density from 167 to 150dpi on the DX)

The browser is still pretty weak, but that could improve in future firmware versions. Even checking email would be a bit tedious. Hopefully this will change in future releases. I strongly recommend against buying this for the purpose of browsing unless things change drastically. They won't.

There a lot of flaws IMHO, some in design and some in implementation:

• Lacking a touch screen, web browsing is quite painful and the slooooow b&w screen doesn't make things better.
  • MP3 playback is AMAZINGLY poorly implemented. Imagine this.... Take an ipod shuffle with no display, then remove the 'previous track' button and the 'fast forward' function from the next track button. It can only skip to the next track and there is no on screen display for MP3s at all - nothing. This could be quite a cool player, but they failed miserably.
  • Amazon has decided to block VoIP and voice chat apps and vowed to never allow them yet the Kindle has an [unused] microphone. Why not expand the functionality of the device?
  • The GUI and navigation feels quite clumsy. It is non intuitive imho.
  • Apps are still almost non-existant, just a handful of puzzle and card games.
  • the keyboard quality is about on par with a label maker and equally as enjoyable to use. Not important as a reader, but something to consider for other purposes.

If it's a gift for the kids, i would be tempted to wait for the flood of Android tablets coming. It won't be as cheap as the kindle, and won't have an e-ink screen, but they'll use it much more.

These are not flaws at all. The Kindle is a dedicated ebook reader. It's not a web browser, MP3 player, etc, etc. It's for reading books and it excellent at that. If you want to do all the other things then get something like an iPad. But if you're an avid reader, then the iPad is not the best. It's much heavier than the Kindle, and therefore much less comfortable to hold for long periods. Also the screen isn't really designed for reading books for long periods. You can read on the Kindle for hours without any eye strain. Choose the product based on your needs, but don't say a product has multiple flaws just because it doesn't do what it's not designed to do. My kettle doesn't have MP3, doesn't have a keyboard, etc. Does that mean that it has design flaws? LOL.