Cdma 680 + Snow Leopard Does It Work?

MisterMan

I have had so many problems with my mac crashing since I bought it. I did take it once to the mac guy here but he wanted like 1400 baht just to look at it and more if there was a problem. It was after warranty. But it freezes and even terminal kill commands do not show the process nor work.

I often wonder if it has to do with the cdma drivers?

Hi I posted in the apple forum but no replies and I think more people in Phuket use the CDMA as it is so hard to get a phoneline.

So I am going to load Leopard ...

Initially to get the 680 to work with the mac I had to go to the actual http://www.fklt.com/support.php because the software from CAT was useless.

So now I have seen that there is no driver for Leopard. Can any one advise?

and if there is not then I will need a router right? I know I posted in another thread about which one ages ago but if someone has some recent info that would be great.

Thanks

I don't use a CDMA modem, I get internet through my local cable TV company here in Rawai. But I did look at Apples website see link: Apple Support 10.6 I don't know if it will help. But it doesn't saying anything about a driver being needed. The Mac OS has a lot of drivers built into the system...

Edited by Jimi007

But doesnt apple 'just work' ?? :rolleyes:

Sorry couldnt resist..

Yes they do, as shown in this example. MisterMan was looking for drivers and all the other hassles of a PC to connect, when in fact it is an easy 2 click process with the Mac. :)

Sorry couldnt resist..

Yes they do, as shown in this example. MisterMan was looking for drivers and all the other hassles of a PC to connect, when in fact it is an easy 2 click process with the Mac. :)

For the record with Leopard 10.5.8 it was pure hel_l getting it to work and my computer constantly crashed.

Even some guy from this forum came and speant a good 2 hours trying to get it to work. It was not until I went to the actual Franklin site and found a driver myself.

2 days with Snow Leopard and it is smooth and not all kinds of weird permission errors.So far I have not sent my daily abusive report to apple when the "report this error" dialog box pops up.

Edited by MisterMan

Mine unfortunately broke and the other one I had was stolen (USB CDMA from CAT, two different kinds), but I never had any trouble with it. If you can't find the software (I know you did, but in the future or for anyone else) go to Alpha computer in Phuket Town near the old post office, K. Noklek is very nice and they have a good technician there. They don't charge 1400 THB for something like this. Before I figured out the Franklin site, I had them do it and they didn't charge me much at all. Worked like a champ until the cheap plastic broke (twice, once under warranty, second time the day after warranty expired). These things should cost 500 baht not 5000 or more.

Speaking of which since this thread seems active, anyone tried the new CAT My-Fi on OSX? Should be fine, of course it is, but wanted to know about speeds if anyone has any data and how well the broadcast works? Thinking of using is with an iPad.

John

Sorry couldnt resist..

LOL! I have a 10 year old Apple laptop that just keeps working! Although it did take it about 24 hours to do a virus scan of the 3 hard drives connected to it, and guess what ,no viruses found. Let's see if a PC can do that...

Edited by Jimi007

Ah works fine .. and a lot of other weirdness with disk permissions seems to be solved!

Thanks Jimi007.. I might have kept trying to find a driver!

You're quite welcome! I still am running OS 10.4.11 as my Powerbook G4 is too old to run anything newer. I do have to find drivers once in a while for a printer or I had to download the software (HP Device Manager) for a HP all in one scanner, printer, fax that a friend gave me and HP Photosmart Studio. But, I usually use Adobe Creative Suite as I've been using Photoshop since 1995. Even that old Powerbook 3400 computer, that used SCSI to interface external drives and scanners, still works fine!

For the record with Leopard 10.5.8 it was pure hel_l getting it to work and my computer constantly crashed.

Even some guy from this forum came and speant a good 2 hours trying to get it to work. It was not until I went to the actual Franklin site and found a driver myself.

2 days with Snow Leopard and it is smooth and not all kinds of weird permission errors.So far I have not sent my daily abusive report to apple when the "report this error" dialog box pops up.

Out of curiosity, which OS version were you using when you upgraded to Snow Leopard? How did the upgrade itself go, any glitches or problems?

Out of curiosity, which OS version were you using when you upgraded to Snow Leopard? How did the upgrade itself go, any glitches or problems?

10.5 is Leopard, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. You just need the CD's or DVD to upgrade and I've never had a glitch upgrading a system. 10.7 is coming out pretty soon, if I remember correctly, it is called Tiger.

10.5 is Leopard, 10.6 is Snow Leopard. You just need the CD's or DVD to upgrade and I've never had a glitch upgrading a system. 10.7 is coming out pretty soon, if I remember correctly, it is called Tiger.

Darned cats are confusing ain't they?? Next OS will be Lion. Tiger was 10.4.

Anyhow, thanks! smile.gif

Darned cats are confusing ain't they?? Next OS will be Lion. Tiger was 10.4.

Anyhow, thanks! smile.gif

LOL, yes they are! That's why I just go by the numbers! I still use 10.4.11... I'll need a new machine to run anything newer.