Thai Cabinet To Discuss Charter Review Next Week : PM Abhisit

webfact

CONSTITUTION AMENDMENT

Cabinet to discuss charter review next week : PM

Suggestions by Sombat panel should be accepted by all parties, PM feels

A charter amendment draft proposed by the reform panel will be submitted to Cabinet for consideration next week, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said yesterday.

If there was agreement about the draft by all political parties, the six amendments would be submitted to Parliament for reading within the current session, the PM said.

The six amendments were proposed by the reconciliation panel on political reform and charter amendments, chaired by Sombat Thamrongthanyawong.

Abhisit said he had already submitted the proposed amendments to all political parties for consideration.

The prime minister added that the Sombat panel had conducted opinion surveys and the survey results would be concluded next week.

Abhisit said he had instructed the Sombat panel to draft the amendment bill and submit it to the Cabinet for deliberation on November 2.

"I personally think the easiest way to amend the charter is to implement the proposals of the panel," Abhisit said.

"If each political party wants to add its own proposals, the amendments cannot proceed."

The prime minister said he would try to convince all political parties to agree to the proposals of the Sombat panel.

The prime minister said a public referendum need not be held on the charter amendments because the government had already assigned the National Statistics Bureau and other agencies to carry out such surveys.

When asked whether the charter amendments should be done before a House dissolution, Abhisit replied: "It should be so. If we want to change the electoral system, the charter amendments should be done first."

The prime minister added that the Sombat panel had suggested the entire charter need not be overhauled now because more studies would need to be carried out.

Charter amendments are seen as part of ongoing efforts to bring about political reconciliation in the country.

Deputy Prime Minister Sanan Kachornprasart, chief adviser of the Chart Thai Pattana Party, has been visiting all sides in the conflict and all political parties to seek reconciliation.

Sanan said yesterday he had been meeting members of all political parties and leading figures of all groups to try to bring about reconciliation.

He said his efforts seemed to be materialising now. He said the fact Abhisit and other Cabinet members could visit all flood-hit areas, which were normally strongholds of the government's opponents, indicated signs of reconciliation.

"The prime minister and Cabinet members could visit areas where people held opposing political views without problem. No protesters came out to shoo them away.

"People of all colours are united to help those affected by the flooding," Sanan said.

He said the flood disaster provided a good chance for all sides to show their goodwill and intention for reconciliation.

"After the water recedes, all sides must stop fighting and must come out to help the flood victims," Sanan said.

However, a Suan Dusit Poll indicated yesterday that 48 per cent of people in 504 responding households did not believe that political divisions could be reconciled after the flood.

People in flooded areas were concerned only about their current situation as 63 per cent expected the government would deliver sufficient assistance to them.

Sixty per cent of them needed all basic necessities such as fresh water and food.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-25

The six amendments were proposed by the reconciliation panel

*sigh*.... and the six amendment proposals ARE????

There have been many different and varied changes suggested over the past 2 years. It would be extremely enlightening if the write up told us specifically which 6 are now on the table.

Edited by Buchholz

There have been many different and varied changes suggested over the past 2 years. It would be extremely enlightening if the write up told us specifically which 6 are now on the table.

Amendment?

Not over PAD dead body.

I will protest violently with them, including seizure of ALL airports again is it is absolutely necessary.

The amanedment was just a front to allow all those banned to return from the grave. Call it the raise of the Zombies.

Amendment?

Not over PAD dead body.

I will protest violently with them, including seizure of ALL airports again is it is absolutely necessary.

The amanedment was just a front to allow all those banned to return from the grave. Call it the raise of the Zombies.

Jawohl mein Fuehrer :)

That's exactly what I was thinking when read it. How do we interperate this astonishing 'invisible story'? Is it the usual poor quality of The Nation? Is it the government not wanting to disclose what the (albeit draft) amendments are? Sounds stupid? TiT :jap:

Edited by hanuman1

He said the fact Abhisit and other Cabinet members could visit all flood-hit areas, which were normally strongholds of the government's opponents, indicated signs of reconciliation.

This is just too funny. He's making it sound like there was a full scale war going on. When exactly was it so dangerous anywhere in the 'strongholds of the government's opponents' that government politicians couldn't set foot there?

And now because he's decided to go for once, this is held up as an example of a successful reconciliation policy. Talk about lowering the bar....

That's exactly what I was thinking when read it. How do we interperate this astonishing 'invisible story'? Is it the usual poor quality of The Nation? Is it the government not wanting to disclose what the (albeit draft) amendments are? Sounds stupid? TiT :jap:

Given :

Abhisit said he had already submitted the proposed amendments to all political parties for consideration.

I'd go with the poor quality of The Nation reporting.

Here are the amendments as seen in another article:

Section 190, which requires parliamentary approval for all international treaties, should be amended.

sections 93 to 98 of the charter be amended so the House has 500 MPs - 375 from the one person, one vote election system and the rest from a single nationwide party list.

On sections 111-121, which pertain to the Senate, the panel recommended that the number of senators be kept at 150, with one elected from each province and the rest appointed by a committee.

The senator selection committee to be expanded from its present seven members who are mostly judges. Representatives from professional organisations such as the Law Society of Thailand and the Medical Council should also sit on the committee

Section 237 be amended to avoid the dissolution of parties in cases of electoral fraud, while imposing stricter penalties on individual politicians found responsible of breaches. The committee recommended that ordinary MPs found guilty of poll fraud be banned from politics for five years, party executives be banned for 10 years and party leaders be banned for 15 years.

Section 266, which deals with MP intervention in state agencies, be amended to allow MPs to forward complaints from their constituents to the appropriate agency

I guess the "single nationwide list" refers to each party having a list, and nationwide vote % decides how many from each list get into the parliament. The other 375 from provincial elections. No mention of a % required for a party to be entitled a member from the nationwide list. This could be a weakness as it can put radicals in pivot position of the parliament. The current system is 400 trough provincial elections, 80 trough proportional representation. My guess is that there have been serious number crunching and its found to be beneficial to the current holders of power.

I guess we can be sure this wont be done retrospectively like the 2007 charter did to get rid of TRT (and is now biting Democrats), unless someone find it a reasonably compromise to have Abhisit out of politics for 15 years while keeping Democrat party intact...

I wish they would get rid of the senators. I just can't see what having this tier in the system actually add to democracy or transparency. The committee part is the most undemocratic part of the Thai system. Its vote buying and corruption legalized and put in system.

<snip>

I wish they would get rid of the senators. I just can't see what having this tier in the system actually add to democracy or transparency. The committee part is the most undemocratic part of the Thai system. Its vote buying and corruption legalized and put in system.

Most democracies have 2 levels of government ... Legislative and Senate. The US, UK, Aus, and many others have it.

The fact that half the Senate is appointed in Thailand isn't very good.

<snip>

Most democracies have 2 levels of government ... Legislative and Senate. The US, UK, Aus, and many others have it.

Most? US, UK, Aus and many others? Any significance or reason that you just name 3 out of the many ...

The appointed Senators -isn't that a result that came with the coup and the new 2007 constitution? Before they all were elected. One point of the red shirt movement. Did you join the protests?

Edited by SergeiY

<snip>

Most? US, UK, Aus and many others? Any significance or reason that you just name 3 out of the many ...

The appointed Senators -isn't that a result that came with the coup and the new 2007 constitution? Before they all were elected. One point of the red shirt movement. Did you join the protests?

I named those 3 because I know they are.

The senate was "royally appointed" until 1997, when they became fully elected. And then in 2007, it became half elected/half appointed.

It was ONE of the red shirts many points, some that I agree with. But I don't support the red shirts because of their leaders and their leaders aims. And it was illegal for me to join the protests anyway.

Cue the PAD going insane because they dont support any ammendments as that may indicate a return of Thaksin. Cue PTP and the red shirts in perfect harmony saying no negotiations it must be back to 1997 as that wikll technically leave Thaksin free to return.

Interesting to see the ole ammendments make a return juts as the Dems and BJT get a bit annoying to each other. Loads of behind the scenes power plays in the run up to the disolution decision

Chai says govt's charter amendment draft must be considered with people's draft

Parliament President Chai Chidchob said Tuesday that if the government submits a charter amendment draft to Parliament it will be deliberated along with the people's draft.

Prime Minister said a draft propose by a reform panel headed by Sombat Thamrongthanyawong will be considered and endorsed by the Cabinet next week before it will be sent to the Parliament for deliberation.

Chai said the 2007 Constitution had a lot of flaws and should have been amended much earlier.

-- The Nation 2010-10-26

Anyone know what is in the peoples draft?

Edited by whybother

Chai says govt's charter amendment draft must be considered with people's draft

Parliament President Chai Chidchob said Tuesday that if the government submits a charter amendment draft to Parliament it will be deliberated along with the people's draft.

Prime Minister said a draft propose by a reform panel headed by Sombat Thamrongthanyawong will be considered and endorsed by the Cabinet next week before it will be sent to the Parliament for deliberation.

Chai said the 2007 Constitution had a lot of flaws and should have been amended much earlier.

-- The Nation 2010-10-26

Anyone know what is in the peoples draft?

Is that the thing the red shirts knocked up before deciding they actually needed the 1997 version back to create technicalities that overthrew all the Thaksin charges? Looks like a nice bunch of games coming up.

It's down to two now:

Charter amendments to limit on two issues: PM

The Cabinet has decided to push for two charter amendments - on framework for international agreements and on the electoral system, Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva said on Tuesday.

Article 190 of the Constitution is slated for rewriting in order to expedite international negotiations, he said.

The electoral system will be switched from a multi-seat constituency to a single-seat constituency, known as the one man, one vote system, he said.

The coalition will not touch on other charter provisions, including the punishment by party dissolution and the ban for party executives, he said, noting the time is not right since the Democrat Party is fighting a fraud case punishable by dissolution.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-02

The coalition will not touch on other charter provisions, including the punishment by party dissolution and the ban for party executives, he said, noting the time is not right since the Democrat Party is fighting a fraud case punishable by dissolution.

Didn't Abhisit learn ANYTHING from Thaksin and the PPP?