Chaweng Stinks !

With all this hot weather and no rain , chaweng high street stinks of sewage , so bad you cannot drive down there during the day ... What the tourists must think I don't know .

Why does the samui goverment do nothing about it ?

When I used to live in tenerife ( where play de las americas ) also had the same issue , teams of street cleaners and road washing machines where deployed at 5 am to disinfect and clean the roads / drains daily , thus the clog up and smell wouldn't happen .. Surly it is not that difficult to bring this method to samui , also they could use the road cleaning trucks to clean the sand off the roads !!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it has , but it seems to be getting worse and nothing is being done about it

It'll take a typhoid epedemic before the authorities do anything about it. The rare visits that i do make to Chaweng are at nightime when the overwhelming stench of excrement is reduced.

Just wait till the rains come and the beach road floods and its all washed up. :sick:

:hit-the-fan:

I know it has , but it seems to be getting worse and nothing is being done about it

It'll take a typhoid epedemic before the authorities do anything about it. The rare visits that i do make to Chaweng are at nightime when the overwhelming stench of excrement is reduced.

Just wait till the rains come and the beach road floods and its all washed up. :sick:

:hit-the-fan:

Couldn't agree more. It's only a matter of time before an epidemic of cholera or typhoid breaks out. It really is a crap place. :sick:

Yes, thats correct. And still the lokal authorities ask why there are less and less tourists on the Islandbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

you mean they know that already in Europe and Asia pre their bookings?

Like others have said "chaweng stinks"....................every time i go there it looks worse and worse especially during the day time,and all that crap goes into the sea eventually.In fact where is it clean,so you can safely swim?Cetainly not ban rak,bophut,mae nam.The only place i can think of is lipa noi,maybe lamai.

And it does n't matter how much money the govt.in BKK throws at the administration in Samui because most of it goes in the pockets of those in charge here.Just look at the roads,money was sent to fix the problem and yet still the ring road has not been repaired properly,so am assuming the money ran out.

The only place i swim is in a resort pool.Spraying the drains and pipes would only be a temporary solution,afterwards the crap is still there.

Yes, thats correct. And still the lokal authorities ask why there are less and less tourists on the Islandbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

you mean they know that already in Europe and Asia pre their bookings?

Yes! The ones who came last year. Use your head!

That was sarcastic of course. But do you really think that's a reason less tourists come here. That's laughable, or let me see your research. Maybe there are less tourists everywhere in Thailand because of that smell in upper Chaweng.

Don't worry, tourist numbers will increase again. Also on Samui.

Of course that smell is annoying and authorities should repair that. And lay all the ugly cables into the ground. Get rid of the advertisment boards. Make a walking street also at North Chaweng. Plant more trees and flowers on the sidewalks. Create traffic free open places with restaurants...............

Lets see. How to improve Chaweng beach road.

1 Get rid of the disgusting stench of sewage. How about a sewage farm so that our tourists don't have to swim in human excrement.

2 Re lay the pavements. They are falling to bits. How about wheel chair friendly.

3 Sort out the cables. Makes the place look like a tin pot shanty town.

4 Decent shops....probably asking too much here.

In short Chaweng is a dump of its own making. Imagine a dream holiday on the beautiful tropical island of Samui and then imagine arriving in Chaweng with the stench of sewage and the view of the filthy run down street in broad daylight. You'd be gutted!!!!! :lol:

buy yaa durm from 7/11 or go to manam beach is much nicer or chaweng. apperntly before the influx of boom in people coming here. they predicted that manam beach would be the popular beach because it is better. Obvioulsy back in those days people just followed green mango.

Like others have said "chaweng stinks"....................every time i go there it looks worse and worse especially during the day time,and all that crap goes into the sea eventually.In fact where is it clean,so you can safely swim?Cetainly not ban rak,bophut,mae nam.The only place i can think of is lipa noi,maybe lamai.

And it does n't matter how much money the govt.in BKK throws at the administration in Samui because most of it goes in the pockets of those in charge here.Just look at the roads,money was sent to fix the problem and yet still the ring road has not been repaired properly,so am assuming the money ran out.

The only place i swim is in a resort pool.Spraying the drains and pipes would only be a temporary solution,afterwards the crap is still there.

You've hit the nail on the head SBC. I'm wondering how much time I will be spending on Samui in future as when I'm in Thailand I like to spend most of my days by the beach......swimming and snorkelling...and that's not an attractive option on Samui.

Plenty of other places to do this though. ;)

EDIT: Most tourists couldn't care less about the shops on the beach road. Ots not better shops they want.....if you got rid of 90% of them I'm sure it would make a lot of them happier.

Edited by smokie36

You've hit the nail on the head SBC. I'm wondering how much time I will be spending on Samui in future as when I'm in Thailand I like to spend most of my days by the beach......swimming and snorkelling...and that's not an attractive option on Samui.

EDIT: Most tourists couldn't care less about the shops on the beach road. Ots not better shops they want.....if you got rid of 90% of them I'm sure it would make a lot of them happier.

You what!!!!!!!!! Swimming and snorkelling!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats right smokie....and if my auntie had <deleted> she'd be.......

You what!!!!!!!!! Swimming and snorkelling!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thats right smokie....and if my auntie had <deleted> she'd be.......

:blink: Exactly my point old son....cause and effect innit? ;):D

buy yaa durm from 7/11 or go to manam beach is much nicer or chaweng. apperntly before the influx of boom in people coming here. they predicted that manam beach would be the popular beach because it is better. Obvioulsy back in those days people just followed green mango.

no, it wasn't like that. Anyway, imagine all beaches without any infrastructure just palm trees, beach and the sea. Where would be the best beach?

A lot of the street vendors along chaweng are quite happy to slush out their cooking utensils and pour all their fat down the drains, this does not help and could easily be rectified with a little supervision.

"supervision" by whom?

The BiB? :rolleyes:

A lot of the street vendors along chaweng are quite happy to slush out their cooking utensils and pour all their fat down the drains, this does not help and could easily be rectified with a little supervision.

"supervision" by whom?

The BiB? :rolleyes:

maybe the drains just need some bleach. might donate some down there

If it's that bad ALL of us should start writing to BKK Airways, telling them it's unbearable to stay around Chaweng which has the (once) most beautiful beach on the island....

There should be a tsunami of complaints.

BKK Airways in BKK have the power and connections to ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING and alarm the proper authorities...

If THEY don't do anything about it less and less passengers will fly to Samui and the place will become a dump and THEY will lose their milking cow..... :(

LaoPo

maybe the drains just need some bleach. might donate some down there

I got a picture of a bunch of anthropologists descending on Chaweng to investigate the tribe of blonde haired Thais.....

better hide the blonde haired thais. maybe in the sewers.

There is plenty of high-end hotels along Chaweng beach road, for example Amari, the Library, Poppies, Centara. I wonder if their administration is trying to influence local authorities to do something about stinky sewage? They sure might have the capacity to convince local administration.

There's a few things that i just don't get here, how can resorts such as Centara and The Amari charge 6000bt a night whilist being so close to the sewer?

It was only a few years ago that the beach road was 2 way, with all the extra and uneccesary traffic (2mph 'songtail' taxis and not forgetting the 'tomorrow night' boxing PA vans) it's becoming another Benidorm or even worse, Kavos!!!

I personally refer to it as 'Chameng', meng being Thai for 'stinks', it's got a ring to it.....

Knock it down and start again. it's the only answer though im not sure what Thai is for logic, does anyone?

I doubt it.

I often wonder if the Drunks you see at 4am kneeling in the road in Chaweng die of some nasty plauge after.

who cares. 1 less whino to deal with. Those after mango people are so drunk i reckon it is them that are causing chaweng to stink and the sewers are getting a bad rep.because of them. h8 those tourist alchy dirty hippy wingeing - nice peopl :D

At the end of the day the only real solution would be knocking it down and starting again.

As it stands its cheap and tacky, it smells, the pavements are falling to pieces and the general infastructure is totally substandard.

Shame really because its a lovely beach.

Edited by carmine