Residency

Hi all, this is my first posting and i am looking for help, i have visited 6 times and want to move there, i have 90k in my arse pocket and i'm 46. is it too early to leave the rat race, how much and where is the best place to go(on the coast), what eligibility have i to work there,my proffesion is engineering, could someone give me a pointer in the righ direction as to how to start the ball rolling.

Kind regards Jack

90k of fat or some unknown currency? :o

You have no right to work here without a job that supplies a work permit. That could be for others or a company you set up.

You have no right to live here except temporary as a tourist unless you have marriage, investment or the above work.

At age 50 you can retire here (no work) with a bank account of 800k in baht or pension income in that amount.

Best place to go has to be a personal decision.

Hi all, this is my first posting and i am looking for help, i have visited 6 times and want to move there, i have 90k in my arse pocket and i'm 46. is it too early to leave the rat race, how much and where is the best place to go(on the coast), what eligibility have i to work there,my proffesion is engineering, could someone give me a pointer in the righ direction as to how to start the ball rolling.

Kind regards Jack

To get permanent residency (aka Immigrant visa), you must first have at least 3 non interrupted 1 yearly permit extensions of your Non-Immigrant permit and also be subject to the quota for each nationality.

6 tourists entries

90K, not really much in any currency for retirement

46, too young for retirement visa

can you teach english ?? :o

Plan,Plan, plan and keep planning!

learn the system, ask questions, read all you can gain, travel more places, ask "why Thailand?" Make a list.

:D

Read and prepare all the documentation for a proper visa. Even if you come back for a visit start learning the process of immigration and laws around work and investments. :D

Read , plan and visit places you have been and new ones that seem like a place to retire , live , be part of the community. Ask yourself more questions???????????s after more questions ????????????s ( is it for me? services? , housing, transport, lifestyle?).Make your list of answers. Check them and make deductions. :o

Money is far too low. Your age will need a solid USD250,000.00 cash, investment profile performing, land and house, all the other bells and whistles. This is for an conservative person with hobbies ( not elbow bending and local enterntainment).

90K USD will not take you far. I would initially invest the sum or partial sum into a home, condo when you finally decide where you want to live.baht 2-4 million home or spread. :D

Some cash into local investments , GSB lotto, fixed deposits, stocks, bonds, gold, etc... start to learn the value of the new currency, the pros and cons, limits , etc of what you can do with two currency accounts.Transfers and banking. :D

Get a job related to your expertise. Teaching jobs are few and not well paid. Others are hired expats moved in or with strong corp connections.If you don't want to work here or cannot. keep your present job and save for a few more years. Targets and more planning. :D

Good luck. Read ,study, watch, listen ( even BS ) , see if this is really what you want. 46 is still young.Save some more and look deep within yourself for the life you want to live in Thailand. Pizza or jungle food? Go-gos or community life? Car or bus? Udon or Bangkok? Lots of questions. :D

Important: Is this for you or what you expect for another special person in Thailand? :D

Forum members will also help you if you show your intentions and have prepared your homework. :D

Edited by ilyushin

Forum members will also help you if you show your intentions and have prepared your homework. :o

I'm always amazed at the politeness and patience of forum members in answering stupid questions.From internal evidence it is obvious that the original poster is just another useless (and apparently semiliterate) incipient visa runner.He has much chance of obtaining PR as being decapitated by an errant frisbee.Wouldn't the best response to this type of query be to gently discourage this fellow from coming here?

Forum members will also help you if you show your intentions and have prepared your homework. :o

I'm always amazed at the politeness and patience of forum members in answering stupid questions.From internal evidence it is obvious that the original poster is just another useless (and apparently semiliterate) incipient visa runner.He has much chance of obtaining PR as being decapitated by an errant frisbee.Wouldn't the best response to this type of query be to gently discourage this fellow from coming here?

The original OP can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think he is asking about getting Permanent Residence. I think this is a thread about moving to Thailand, whether he has enough money and whether he can work.

Jack P - you need to give more specific details of your situation and plan if you want any useful info. But either way you need to plan and do your sums very carefully. If you don't have a pension until you are 65 (I'm guessing you are Britsh from the way you spelled 'arse') you don't want to find all your life savings are gone when you are 55.

Eligibilty to work - it is not easy.

Where to go - depends what you want.

It will be hard to reture on USD(I am guessing) 90k anywhere in the world. Jackp is willing to pursue work, but that can be hard to find here as we all know.

Jack; take a longer holiday than usual and check the job oppurtunities as well as cost of living for your wanted lifestyle. With that info your future planning will be much easier. Cheers!

The guy asked for advice. I think we should help when we can. When was the last time you made a visa run Boris? What positive advice could you offer a fellow forum member? Try even if it hurts! :D We must try to be more opened minded. :D

Thanks for all your replies, this is certainly giving me food for thought, i gather that the stupid question i asked was answered by some expats who feel that because i dont use spell check class me as semi-literate and are in a position to dictate that i should be discouraged from going. Nevertheless as gormless as i am will take the meat out of your replies and do my homework, i go again next month and again over Christmas i therefore have the oppertunity to make further enquries. Thanks agen and i wil speek 2 u sune lol.

learn the system, ask questions, read all you can gain, travel more places, ask "why Thailand?" Make a list.

Read and prepare all the documentation for a proper visa. Even if you come back for a visit start learning the process of immigration and laws around work and investments. :D

Read , plan and visit places you have been and new ones that seem like a place to retire , live , be part of the community. Ask yourself  more questions???????????s after more questions ????????????s ( is it for me? services? , housing, transport, lifestyle?).Make your list of answers. Check them and make deductions. :o

Money  is far too low. Your age will need a solid USD250,000.00 cash, investment profile performing, land and house, all the other bells and whistles. This is for an conservative person with hobbies ( not elbow bending and local enterntainment).

90K USD will not take you far. I would initially invest the sum or partial sum into a home, condo when you finally decide where you want to live.baht 2-4 million home or spread. :D

Some cash into local investments , GSB lotto, fixed deposits, stocks, bonds, gold, etc... start to learn the value of the new currency, the pros and cons, limits , etc of what you can do with two currency accounts.Transfers and banking. :D

Get a job related to your expertise. Teaching jobs are few and not well paid. Others are hired expats moved in or with strong corp connections.If you don't want to work here or cannot. keep your present job and save for a few more years. Targets and more planning. :D

Good luck. Read ,study, watch, listen ( even BS ) , see if this is really what you want. 46 is still young.Save some more and look deep within yourself for the life you want to live in Thailand. Pizza or jungle food? Go-gos or community life? Car or bus? Udon or Bangkok? Lots of questions. :D

Important: Is this for you or what you expect for another special person in Thailand? :D

Forum members will also help you if you show your intentions and have prepared your homework. :D

Thanks for your reply, Yes i was initially drawn by the special friends and go gos, but in reality i have been sick and tired of the u.k. for some time now and my personal circumstances are now changing and i am at a time in my life when things need to change otherwise if i keep doing what ive always done i will keep getting what ive always got. So, Thailand keeps drawing me and i know i cannot and do not want to live as a tourist, i also do not have a special friend as yet, but you never can say never, thanks again Jack-p

The guy asked for advice. I think we should help when we can. When was the last time you made a visa run Boris? What positive advice could you offer a fellow forum member? Try even if it hurts! :D We must try to be more opened minded. :D

90K in pounds at 7% offshore will give you 6300/yr or about 400,000 baht.

So if you can live on 33,000 a month you're ok for as long as it lasts.

There's teachers here working/living for less so it ain't such a bad deal.

Let's say you spent 10,000/month on accomodation, water/electric etc and 3000/month on a visarun you still got 20,000 left to spent on booze, food and chicks. Not much if you think about it but not impossible.

Meom,

Please tell me where you get 7percent interest offshore?

Good question :D I googled around a bit and I have to admit that my figure of 7% might be a bit too optimistic; 5% is more like it :o

The difference works out to about a barfine/day so I guess the OP has to minimise on special friends as he calls it, or go live in a tin shack.