Future Flood Control.

lovelomsak

I though at this present time with whats going on with flooding in Thailand that it would be a good time for thaivisa readers to give their suggestions on how Thailand could save Bangkok from major flooding in the future.

My simple suggestion is expropriate land up river, on the river in a low population area. Widen and deepen the land expropriated till it is a lake.A deep lake and broad. Water finds it own level. No need for dam this is natural leveling. Could do this in a few areas. Stock them with fish and creat secondary industry for the area. Recreational fishing and boating for holidayers, be them Thai or farang. This idea could even bring the level of the river down year round, I amnot sure though if they would want that but it would be a direct result.

If Bangkok was concerned that it would bring the level down all year creating problems, Then section the lake off with gates that would control the height. As water flow increased, open a gate to make area of lake larger. So what they would have is a year round lake that during flood season could be expanded to keep the water level under control.

It is difficult to fully explain this here especially without the aid of drawings. But it would be easier and cheaper than relocating the capital. And probably consume less land.

This is one idea anyone else want a go at expressing an idea on how to solve this problem for the future.

Couldn't work, as it needs regular water supply.

And Thailand believes it has the same climate as Somalia or Sudan. That's why there's such complete surprise at the annual flooding aberration.

whistling.gif

I think the word you are are looking for is "Dam".... good idea, Thailand does need to build another Dam to help control the water issue. The problem is that no one wants to build one where there family has been living for generations

So the question is... who do you kick off their family land to make room to build another dam?

Very good to see peoples opinions here. But I feel I should expand more on the concept. As we know areas around Lop Buri and Ayuttya flooded quite bad. The government could purchase land in this low lieing area and creat a large man made lake . The river flows in and out of said lake. Now the lake can be contained on the sides by gates so as to control water flow out of the lake side ways away from the flow to Bangkok..When gates open to let water go more into the prepared lake bottom the river height drops, due to natural water leveling.Close the gates on the sides and because of inflowing water the water level will rise slowly in the lake and the river.

The river has a year round flow so dry season close enough gates to allow flow of water down stream and lake becomes shallow and perhaps has deep areas that act as collection ponds for the areas useage in severe dry seasons. Raining season open gates to allow water to fill lake bed.If they wanted to they could creat it so the gates can be opened in increments of say 1 meter. Thus bringing the water level down 1 meter at a time.I feel this is superior to dams and less costly. A dam simply impedes the flow and collects water, which when the dam opens the water still goes in same direction. This idea uses waters natural leveling ability to solve the problem.

I could describe this much better with drawings but donot know how to show it here .

The sad part is land would have to be expropriated as everyone knows and this could cause hard feelings in some villages. But if bangkok goes under they will have to do it then anyways, to build a new capital. This is cheaper ,quicker ,easier. (An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.) so to speak.

Edited by lovelomsak