Tourist Numbers To Pattaya..How To Find ?

Nawtier

I had heard 2 million a year about 2 years ago, but that probably includes Thais on holiday, and much like the TAT ''official'' figures of 15 m per annum for the whole of Thailand, it is all meaningless to me as no one keeps proper figures.

There are about 60,000 hotel rooms in Pattaya, so you can make your own calculations with an average stay of 7-10 days.

I have heard mostly since April that many hotels have been running at 10% occupancy particularly during the demos in Bangkok.

I hope this is confusing!

just trying to get an idea of the number of tourists that visit pattaya per year for the naughty night life as a priority.....and sun n surf comes later.

I think there is some sort of denial that (1) prostitution exists and (2) the importance of sex to Pattaya's economy...so I think there maybe no "official" stats to deny or confirm the info you seek. The authorities prefer to bask in ignorance (rather than openly embracing Pattaya's strength(weakness??) and planning accordingly for it) and continue feign horror whenever prostitutes, ladyboys, pedophiles, sexpats and sundry perverts surface in this town.:whistling:

Maybe you can estimate by multiplying estimate of tourists in one bar by the estimated number of bars/"massage" parlours in town...just a very rough formula that may well be better than anything the officials have???

Rough enough is good enough for my voyage....but dont want a number plucked from the sky.

single lads as mentioned would be a good starting point.....or single travellers actually...not only single as marked on their arrivals cards.

Would it be more than 500,000 per year ?

What are th busiest months for Pattaya.

You would also have to include a substantial percentage of the Arab and Indian package and group tourists, and a much smaller percentage of the Russian tourists, if you were coming up with figures for nightlife lovers.

Overall numbers, if you think (which I do) there might be 200,000 tourists here on any day of the week, and they are here on 2 week holidays, 200,000 x 26 weeks = 5,200,000

200k a day ?

really...in Pattaya ?

Sounds a tad high, I just come back from 3 days there and so many empty restaurants at around 7/8pm ish.

Ask yourself why that might be - they are all package-touristing it up in their hotels with set meals and the like.

I've lived here for 9 years (a short time compared to some BMs) and I am comfortable with my estimate for tourists in Jomtien, Pattaya, Naklua and the Dark Side.

Think you will struggle to find a chart for number of sex tourists per year, I sure your are aware of which months are peak/high season. Number of Tourists in Pattaya(Million) 2007 -6.7 2008- 5.6 2009 - 4.3 Number of tourists in pattaya by nationality 2009 --- Thai-29 percent Russian-14.9 percent Chinese-9.6 Taiwanese-6 German-5.4 Indian-4.6 British-3.6 Middle eastern-3.2 Korean-3 American-2.5 Others-19.3 Office of Tourism Development

Tat admits the numbers are skewed. The reason being is the way they accumulate the tourist numbers for Pattaya. It's done through hotel check ins mostly. so say someone checks in a hotel in Pattaya stays for one week, then goes some where else or checks into another hotel they are counted more than once. Same with the tourist numbers from the airport. If you live say in Pattaya, fly home, and come back, your counted as a tourist. I don't believe two million people visit Pattaya a year.

Barry

Nowadays it is quite easy, count the farangs, split them into desired categories, the balance of 99 % will not contribute to any business in Pattaya whatever (Iranian Tours, Chinese Tours, Russian Tours...etc. all prepaid inclusive).

Kind of depressing.

You would also have to include a substantial percentage of the Arab and Indian package and group tourists, and a much smaller percentage of the Russian tourists, if you were coming up with figures for nightlife lovers.

Overall numbers, if you think (which I do) there might be 200,000 tourists here on any day of the week, and they are here on 2 week holidays, 200,000 x 26 weeks = 5,200,000

Its always amazed me that no one can put a figure on the inhabitants of Pattaya let alone the tourists.

200k sounds way high, how many hotel rooms are there, I thought around 32k, here someone states 60k, if its 60k every hotel would have to be full with 3.something or other people in each room? Maybe they are???

Its always amazed me that no one can put a figure on the inhabitants of Pattaya let alone the tourists.

200k sounds way high, how many hotel rooms are there, I thought around 32k, here someone states 60k, if its 60k every hotel would have to be full with 3.something or other people in each room? Maybe they are???

Never ever 200,000 tourists a day!

The city would be bursting.

What the heck, as there is no proper registration (thanks god), there will never be a reliable figure.

But may be our all mighty major thinks that he has 200,000 visitors a day, so that the city is in desperate need for the elevated PTS (Pattaya train system).

• 1 month later...

Pattaya tourist nationalities during Jan 2007- Jun 2010

See chart attachedpost-98863-0-03780900-1293419187_thumb.j

- The data source is tourist accommodation regional statistics compiled by TAT and available on their website. While larger hotels most likely provide fairly complete information to the authorities about the

foreign guests it is possible that smaller guest houses are less diligent in such a task. As many Western tourists to Pattaya are cheap charlies and stay at guest houses not all of them may be accounted for in the

abovementioned statistics. I assume that the data have been properly screened to take into account the cases when the same tourist stays at more than one hotel during the trip.

- Chinese dominate low season, Russians dominate high season (this year, 2010, Russians dominate low season too)

- Indian tourism to Pattaya fell in 2008 and has not significantly increased since then

- The numbers of British and Korean tourists in Pattaya have been falling over the last 4 years

- Germans however rebounded strongly in 2010 after a fall in numbers in 2008-2009

- There has not been any dramatic change in the number of of tourists from the Middle east through the period

Other observations drawn from the TAT statistics (not shown on the chart):

-Western tourists constituted 20-30% of all foreign visitors to Pattaya in 2007-2010. I could not see any clear upward or downward trend in their share of total Pattaya tourism

- Share of Anglo-Saxons (US, UK, Canada, Australia & New Zealand) has been only 6-15% of all foreign tourists during the period. Again there does not seem to be any clear time trend up or down, but the share seems to increase though in low season.

- Russians represent 30% in low season, and 60% in high season, of all tourists from Caucasian countries .