New Chippy?

easyride

Forget this and the expensive one on 2nd road - the best chippy in town is the Village Chippy without a doubt and NO I do not own it - wish I did though

I agree. We ate there last week.

Anyone who thinks the "Village Chippy" is superior or even equal to "Jolly Friar" has not eaten at both. VC is open air seating fish in batter only, yes does have pies ad a few other English sides and prices are more than fair. Now go try Jolly Friar, A/C seating for 25 people plus 12 outside for smokers. More variety of fish available ie Parrotfish, Tuna steak, Salmon Steak in addition a complete Thai menu for the TGF. Fish available battered, bread crumbs and grilled with no coating. Also steaks and chops at reasonable prices.

I took 30 people in my Frugal Freddy group there on Monday, service, food and prices received 2 thumbs up from everyone. Even though prices are comparable to VC as a group we all received a 20% discount on our individual food and drink bills and can return with our PCEC (Pattaya City Expat Club) membership card and get 20% discount anytime for us and those dining with us.

PM me if you want to know about the Frugal Freddy group that meets every Monday at various Central Pattaya restaurants and get a 20% discount from all 13 of them.

I too have no ownership interest in any restaurant or business here in Thailand, I just enjoy servicing the Expat community with various activities and living the mottos "Expats helping expats" and "Giver's Gain".

Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa to all of you.

Forget this and the expensive one on 2nd road - the best chippy in town is the Village Chippy without a doubt and NO I do not own it - wish I did though

I agree. We ate there last week.

Anyone who thinks the "Village Chippy" is superior or even equal to "Jolly Friar" has not eaten at both. VC is open air seating fish in batter only, yes does have pies ad a few other English sides and prices are more than fair. Now go try Jolly Friar, A/C seating for 25 people plus 12 outside for smokers. More variety of fish available ie Parrotfish, Tuna steak, Salmon Steak in addition a complete Thai menu for the TGF. Fish available battered, bread crumbs and grilled with no coating. Also steaks and chops at reasonable prices.

I took 30 people in my Frugal Freddy group there on Monday, service, food and prices received 2 thumbs up from everyone. Even though prices are comparable to VC as a group we all received a 20% discount on our individual food and drink bills and can return with our PCEC (Pattaya City Expat Club) membership card and get 20% discount anytime for us and those dining with us.

PM me if you want to know about the Frugal Freddy group that meets every Monday at various Central Pattaya restaurants and get a 20% discount from all 13 of them.

I too have no ownership interest in any restaurant or business here in Thailand, I just enjoy servicing the Expat community with various activities and living the mottos "Expats helping expats" and "Giver's Gain".

Aloha and Mahalo Nui Loa to all of you.

Just got a take - away from, The "Jolly Friar", and will have to agree with the above , Sorry to The "Village Chippy ", But ," The Jolly Friar" , IMO 2 thumbs up !!! Even offered a glass of iced water whilst i waited .

IMHO, Goose's beats them both. it is not cheap, but the John Dory is very reasonable and beats the cod in the other ones by a mile. :thumbsup:

Oh dear you are behind the times - go and check out the Dory in The Chippy - equals if not better than Goose and much better value.

As to bob4you all I can say he has no idea what a chippy is and Friar is not one - chippies do not serve Tuna steak, Salmon Steak etc and certainly not steaks and chops - where were you brought up I wonder :whistling:

Must be a British science to taste all the differences among various F&C outlets. :rolleyes:

Ive eaten "english style" F&C both here and in England......... all bland <deleted> compared to what is served up back home in OZ.

Edited by Spoonman

A temple in Pattaya is in financial trouble, so it goes into the fish-and-chips business to raise some money.

One night a customer knocks on its door.

A monk answers.

The customer asks, “Are you the fish friar?” “No,” he replies. “I’m the chip monk.”

A blonde walked into a library and said to the librarian, "Can I have some fish and chips please?"

The librarian gave her a funny look and said, " I'm sorry, but this is a library."

So the blonde bends over and whispers to him,"Can I have some fish and chips please?"

a teenage boy lost his job in a local fish and chip shop.

his dad is angry and goes to the shop to find out why he was let go

the owner says ''i found him with a potato peeler up his a**e''

his dad says ''that's very odd, may i see the potato peeler?''

the owner says ''no i fired him as well!''..........

Paddy walks into a chip shop and says to the man behind the counter

"Ye wouldn't have dat film de Guns of Navarone would ya?"

The man replies "No, sorry mate this is a chip shop"

"Ah ok" replies Paddy "Den would ye happen to have de Sound of Music?"

The man replied a little more irritated "What did I just say to you??? This is a chip shop we sell fish and chips"

Paddy said "Ok keep yer knickers on oil have a bag of chips"

Then as the man goes to serve the chips Paddy blurts out "And a fish called Wanda!"

IMHO, Goose's beats them both. it is not cheap, but the John Dory is very reasonable and beats the cod in the other ones by a mile. :thumbsup:

Oh dear you are behind the times - go and check out the Dory in The Chippy - equals if not better than Goose and much better value.

As to bob4you all I can say he has no idea what a chippy is and Friar is not one - chippies do not serve Tuna steak, Salmon Steak etc and certainly not steaks and chops - where were you brought up I wonder :whistling:

I am not the owner, he is British and knows proper fish and chips. He is a smart businessman and knows one dish no matter how well prepared won't please all people. He offers his fish in beer batter, bread crumbs or grilled for those of us like me whose waist line and belt holes keep expanding. You also can have Thai Food if you or lady prefer that, Chips or French Fries, Salmon or Tuna :wub: (my favorite). I brought friends there for dinner and they had steak and chops, I had tuna.

My Frugal Freddy group averages 25-30 people on Monday night and would never be that large with a small choice on menu.

Fully agree The Village Chippy is a chippy the others aint. Fair enough if you like their fare but for authenticity of menu then its the Village Chippy every time.

Other nationalities comments on British Chippies is like me commenting on one of their "Authentic" mexican threads.

The last time I was at the Village chippy, I had their cod. Frankly, it wasn't very good there and I would not repeat. However, the other time I was there I had the local fish, probably Dory. That was excellent.

Also, the one time I tried the Jolly Friar, I had their cod. I thought it was pretty good there.

So really, there are options out there, not to mention the inconsistencies we tend to get at any restaurant in Thailand.

Edited by Jingthing

today i put my money where my mouth is and treated my pal to lunch at jolly friar on soi lengkee

the place is clean. tidy and service from the girls was attentive and chirpy

he had dory, i had cod, we both had chunky chips, bread and butter and mushy peas

we has side orders of a battered fat boy sausage, onion rings, and a fish cake.

no need to go into absolute detail as i am no gourmet, designer grub raconteur

i will just say this the portions were big despite being described as small

the batter was thin and crispy, the fish was good if a little undercooked

the peas were a little too mushy for my taste, the fatboy was excellent, onion rings were more batter than onion but still tasty

the fishcake not so good, a little bland and was really the only low point

we sat outside and ate, smoked, talked and drank a very pleasant lunchtime away

i thought the cost was good value for what we had

the owners appear to have taken time to get it right and deserve to succeed

my dog thoroughly enjoyed what we could not eat and i had to take away in the ubiquitous doggy bag which was provided without any fuss

i will return, when i can eventually get out of my chair..............

Edited by timekeeper

Other nationalities comments on British Chippies is like me commenting on one of their "Authentic" mexican threads.

Since the U.S., Oz and Canada were all British colonies and all of us have their own fish and chips, I think that we might be able to tell which places taste good and which ones don't.

By the way, the chips at the Jolly Friar do not use the proper type of potatoes, but they are not bad if one is not being overly picky.

Since the U.S., Oz and Canada were all British colonies and all of us have their own fish and chips, I think that we might be able to tell which places taste good and which ones don't.

By the way, the chips at the Jolly Friar do not use the proper type of potatoes, but they are not bad if one is not being overly picky.

I wasnt commenting on the quality of the food but the menu contents for an authentic british chippy. Sorry I forgot how good Long John Silvers is

Edited by RabC

My gf and i walked up to the Village Chippy last Sunday Night..

Only one other customer but i was impressed by the food. I had Cod and my gf had what i thought they called Dolly fish but it must have been Dory fish. ( Thai accent and my detoriating hearing).

Both excellent and the chips were the best Brit chips i have ever had. Will be back this weekend again .

We were also both "im mak mak " by the servings .

Sorry I forgot how good Long John Silvers is

We have lots and lots of local restaurants right on the ocean that serve fish and chips that is nothing like some fast food place. :whistling:

fried_fish_and_french_fries.jpg

Fish and Chips on the waterfront in San Diego

Edited by Ulysses G.