Childs British Birth Cert. Here Or The Uk?

Could anyone tell me if there is any advantage to getting birth certificates for my children here? As far as I can see it is around 8000 baht to do in Thailand and around 100 GBP in the UK. Therefore it makes the Uk the best option. We are organizing their Passport in Bangkok so that they can travel, but I don't think the birth certificates are that important at the minute. Am I right, or would I be better getting them here?

Thanks.

Rich

Type in the following search:

"British Birth Certificates"

There are numerous websites,dealing with your query available.

Such as Direct.gov

Home Office Identity & Passport Office General Register Office

Dealing with Registering the Birth of Children Born Abroad.

etc etc

The only advantage I can see,is that it will save you time when you arrive in the UK,and appears to be cheaper,applying direct.

Good Luck

MAJIC

Edited by MAJIC

If you Child is born here, you will get a birth cert. from the hospital.

You would have to register the child's birth at UK embassy in order to get a passport.

First sentence is correct: But make sure that the spelling and translation is 100% absolutely correct as once these are certified and issued, they cannot be changed, even to correct spelling errors.

Second sentence is incorrect: There is no need to register the childs birth to get a UK passport. However, the certified translation of the Thai birth certificate that indicates that one of the parents holds UK nationality is all that's needed.

Edited by NanLaew

If you Child is born here, you will get a birth cert. from the hospital.

You would have to register the child's birth at UK embassy in order to get a passport.

First sentence is correct: But make sure that the spelling and translation is 100% absolutely correct as once these are certified and issued, they cannot be changed, even to correct spelling errors.

Second sentence is incorrect: There is no need to register the childs birth to get a UK passport. However, the certified translation of the Thai birth certificate that indicates that one of the parents holds UK nationality is all that's needed.

Thanks for that advice. I've just completed the forms for the Passport and became concerned that I may not be able to get them without having registered their births with the Uk embassy. Even though the girl at the counter of the embassy said there was no need I was having visions of everything going wrong and having to cancel the holiday. Your reassurance sets my mind at ease that all will be well. We have the birth certificate translations already and all the other documents. Fingers crossed.

the certified translation of the Thai birth certificate that indicates that one of the parents holds UK nationality is all that's needed.

No, more than that is needed!

From the embassy website

Please complete a C2 passport application form in full and submit it in person with payment, courier fee Baht 962 and evidence of the child's British nationality ie either a British birth certificate or the full documentation for a birth certificate as listed overleaf.

They mean above; which is:-

• Child's official birth certificate, issued by the Thai District Office. We will follow the names as they appear on the local document.
  • Documentary evidence of father and/or mother's nationality status - UK full version birth certificate, naturalisation or registration certificate
  • Parents' marriage certificate
  • For children born on / after 1 July 2006, it is no longer a requirement for the parents of the child to be legally married
  • Evidence that any previous marriages of the parents have been dissolved - divorce or death certificate as appropriate
  • Both parents' passports
  • Child's Thai passport (if applicable)
  • We need the full version birth certificate of the parent transmitting nationality (ie with both parents' names on it). If you do not already have your (full) birth certificate, you may obtain it from the General Register Office .

~