What Is The Cause Of The Mid Life Crisis

Chunky1

SB,

I admire your frankness about how you've changed your requirements. I suspect from reading your previous posts that you really mean it and will be happy this way. Doubt many will be in same boat.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much love as I have for you Ian, I don't think much about that girl driving the car is typical.

bikini.jpg

This is more my cup of tea. And quite "normal" I assure you.

That gal is gorgeous, Loz, but hardly typical. I see more of the ones in the car than I do like your's above. Yes, I know and have known more than a few of them...

Natasha_8.sized.jpg

Natasha_10.jpg

My ex was a stunner when she was in her twenties... and this is her at 50.

Maria_1_E.jpg

But you don't see many women like that walking around free. And they certainly aren't available for old farts like me. And, the divorced ones always come with a lot of baggage.

Marky, your USA figs for external Debt. Do they include the FED? Cos lets face it, its privately owned and the controlling interests are MAINLY European. I'm sure you didn't mean to mislead people. But, is there any reason why you didn't publish the per capita data for the US also?

Yes includes Fed. I cut off the figure when I pasted it. US external debt per capita: $45,302 UK external debt per capita: $149,281 .

most of the farang who come here on a mid life crisis end up making a huge mess of their life. all one has to do to get an idea of it is spend 15 minutes at the American Citizens Services counter or ride the skytrain or go to a shopping mall and you will see what kind of wonderful Thai gal the average mid life crisis suffering farang has purchased. it ain't a pretty situation. :(

You may be correct. You couldn't get me into Bangkok unless my butt was on fire and Bangkok had the only water in Thailand.

People who live in Bangkok, Pattaya and Chiang Mai have always been a bit suspect to me. I have lived in all three places each for more than a year.

As much as I like Pattaya and Chiang Mai I don't find them like the rest of Thailand. For a vacation, wonderful but not every day. Every day I like my normal city with a few happy and perhaps eccentric ex pats.

Maybe that's why we have such differing opinions. I don't see any crisis here. No bums. No major problems that can't be handled by a few baht. Walk in a brothel and you might find a uni girl visiting her mom, not unusual or maybe the reverse, this is Thailand. I certainly don't feel sorry for the people living in Bangkok you have advantages I don't have but I would not trade.

Chunky, keep in mind if what I see is not what you see perhaps neither of us is stretching the truth but we have different truths.

These Farang, are you Thai then ?

Yes you maybe young but l've been there got the ' T ' shirt so to speak and come out with roses.

l live in close to a Mansion hardly a shoebox, are you in a bedsit in Bangkok then. ?

Hope you can do the same as me when your older, beer bars loads of money, girls at your beckon call, bliss nothing but bliss.:D

Edited by Kwasaki

I guess I am missing something. It seems this all boils down to sex, booze and a few "Regulars" opinion on TV. And that anyone over in Thailand is there exclusively to meet those needs. Again a huge generalization. Sadly its that behavior that makes it difficult for us few who are not there for any of that. That we have in fact found SE Asia to be interesting, cultural and overall broadening our life experiences. The best educational tool on the planet is traveling. Staying in your birth country and never seeing another country with new eyes is a true loss.

Quite frankly when I joined this site I thought it would be informational and people could gain insight. However after my short stint here this site, moreover specifically this forum section, has become a petty arena for a sad few who have very little going in their lives so they post relentlessly spitting garbage like they got everybody figured out. Well hate to tell you multi posters...you do not. In fact your generalization is quite far from the overall truth. Your data is tainted as you use Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket as your data gathering population. Those places are not Thailand and not part of the rich cultural this country offers. Those places are tourist hot spots and like any tourist hot spot all the idiots go and behave like freed animals. Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Tahiti, BVI, Jamaica, Saigon etc are all hot spots that quickly come to mind where people travel and comeback and say they saw the culture of that country...Pfffft. They saw nothing.

Anyway it appears that this site has 5-7 regular relentless posters with all the answers and Infinite wisdom. They have taken their personal life, bucketed it and labeled everybody else as a pig loser, mid life crisis, sex perv, etc. A few brag about wealth, education, how the Thai cultural works, how it is terrible, 3rd world(Someone needs to explain that one to me, guess it is western arrogance that anything outside the western countries is 3rd world). Your numbers in the grand scheme of things are insignificant. 5 to 7 posters out of how many foreign residents living here now? I recently sat with half a dozen Thai colleagues I am working with and on our break showed them what is posted on this site...They could not stop laughing. I think that says a lot. They did say they are glad that the tourists hang in their comfy areas.

I only comment in some select threads to offset the nonsense being posted. I am back in the US on business with a Thai mfg team but cant wait to get home to Thailand.

Carry on with the BS.....jap.gif

These Farang, are you Thai then ?

Yes you maybe young but l've been there got the ' T ' shirt so to speak and come out with roses.

l live in close to a Mansion hardly a shoebox, are you in a bedsit in Bangkok then. ?

Hope you can do the same as me when your older, beer bars loads of money, girls at your beckon call, bliss nothing but bliss.:D

Bliss?

I guess I am missing something. It seems this all boils down to sex, booze and a few "Regulars" opinion on TV. And that anyone over in Thailand is there exclusively to meet those needs. Again a huge generalization. Sadly its that behavior that makes it difficult for us few who are not there for any of that. That we have in fact found SE Asia to be interesting, cultural and overall broadening our life experiences. The best educational tool on the planet is traveling. Staying in your birth country and never seeing another country with new eyes is a true loss.

Quite frankly when I joined this site I thought it would be informational and people could gain insight. However after my short stint here this site, moreover specifically this forum section, has become a petty arena for a sad few who have very little going in their lives so they post relentlessly spitting garbage like they got everybody figured out. Well hate to tell you multi posters...you do not. In fact your generalization is quite far from the overall truth. Your data is tainted as you use Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Phuket as your data gathering population. Those places are not Thailand and not part of the rich cultural this country offers. Those places are tourist hot spots and like any tourist hot spot all the idiots go and behave like freed animals. Cabo, Puerta Vallarta, Tahiti, BVI, Jamaica, Saigon etc are all hot spots that quickly come to mind where people travel and comeback and say they saw the culture of that country...Pfffft. They saw nothing.

Anyway it appears that this site has 5-7 regular relentless posters with all the answers and Infinite wisdom. They have taken their personal life, bucketed it and labeled everybody else as a pig loser, mid life crisis, sex perv, etc. A few brag about wealth, education, how the Thai cultural works, how it is terrible, 3rd world(Someone needs to explain that one to me, guess it is western arrogance that anything outside the western countries is 3rd world). Your numbers in the grand scheme of things are insignificant. 5 to 7 posters out of how many foreign residents living here now? I recently sat with half a dozen Thai colleagues I am working with and on our break showed them what is posted on this site...They could not stop laughing. I think that says a lot. They did say they are glad that the tourists hang in their comfy areas.

I only comment in some select threads to offset the nonsense being posted. I am back in the US on business with a Thai mfg team but cant wait to get home to Thailand.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

How does that old saying go......" I spent all my money on beautiful women and booze... the rest I just wasted." :D

There are many information sub-forums on thaivisa. dealing with just about any topic you want to know. How many answers do you need in how to find a bus station in Bangkok that will take you to Chiang Mai? This is the general forum dealing with issues that people can relate to when living in Thailand... or elsewhere. If you don't want to participate then don't bother responding to some of the trollers here who like to post controversial topics. The rest of us get a few laughs from them. We can argue away from different points of view and have a bit of fun. Only the self righteous bigots get angry and hot and bothered about it.

There are many of us who travel extensively throughout Thailand and we experience many things from spectacular scenery to wild, dangerous creatures, as well as hot women... which can also be one and the same. Just because we enjoy the company of attractive women does not mean we don't enjoy everything else as well. Thailand has some of the most beautiful golf courses in the world, and the Andaman Sea has spectactular beaches. The province of Kanchanaburi has a magnificent mountain wilderness forest with clear running rivers full of fish. It's all there if you take the time to look.

Ayutthaya_north_of_Bangkok_4.sized.jpg

King_s_palace_north_of_Bangkok_1.sized.jpg

Kanchanaburi_temple_3.sized.jpg

Kanchanaburi_temple_6.sized.jpg

Erawan_Falls_1_Em.sized.jpg

Bamboo_dock_2_Em.sized.jpg

James_Bond_Isle_8.sized.jpg

Laem_sing_beach_sunset_6.sized.jpg

Thai_mahseer_1.sized.jpg

Ian_Fie_Em.sized.jpg

What I want to know is how can a person NOT enjoy themselves in Thailand. It's all there for the taking.

Question:What Is The Cause Of The Mid Life Crisis that sends farang to thailand?

Answer: midlife crisis is coursed by midlife

Concern: i ask because i am still young and wish to avoid this fate.

Solution: dont get old

So you mix and work with bunch of educated Thais, I assume educated outside of Thailand (who speak English with you and read English?) and believe you have insight into Thai culture. Many Thai people over the age of 50 can't even read and write Thai!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but 67 percent of Thais are poor rural workers ...... most of the rest are poor city dwellers.

You are not mixing with the 'average Thai', your associates are not representative of Thai culture, but are in the extreme minority.

You fly back and forth to America ..... I just wonder, do you speak, read and write Thai?

Edited by sarahsbloke

Question:What Is The Cause Of The Mid Life Crisis that sends farang to thailand?

Answer: midlife crisis is coursed by midlife

Concern: i ask because i am still young and wish to avoid this fate.

Solution: dont get old

The obvious solution is to enjoy all aspects of life as they come. Accept the good with the bad as a natural event. Have a driving interest outside of work and marriage. If you have an active hobby it will carry you through the rough times. It also pays to never put all your eggs in one basket. ... meaning don't gamble on what you can't accept losing. Put enough money away for the rainy day when things don't go as planned. When the inevitable down turn in luck happens then you will be prepared for it, and deal with it in a sane and sensible manner.

I've always been able to take any bad turn of luck, or unfortunate incident, and turn it into something good. As traumatic as it was at the time when both of my marriages ended, the result was that I was better off in the long run after they ended.

Everybody gets old, crippled up and eventually dies. The secret is to never miss an opportunity to do anything within reason. Material possessions are just junk. They should only be used as tools to further your enjoyment. Otherwise they are just anchors holding you back. You can only sit on one chair at a time, sleep in one bed at a time, and bathe in one tub at a time. As long as you have enough good food to eat and a roof over your head then everything is is superfluous.

No mid-life crisis ... too busy ... and I try to keep my TV musings to a sentence or 2 usually at 4 or 5 AM before I wake up ... But Hey! -- from SNL version Biden - Palin debate 2008:

Gov Sarah Palin: Hey, can I call you, "Joe"?

Sen. Joe Biden: Of course.

Gov. Sarah Palin: Okay, 'cause I practiced a couple of zingers where I call you "Joe"!

Sen. Joe Biden: Okay, great!

Sen. Joe Biden: My goal tonight was a simple one. To come up here

and at no point seem like a condescending, egomaniacal bully. And I'm

gonna be honest, I think I nailed it. Sure there were moments when I

wanted to say, "Hey, this lady is a dummy!" But I didn't! Because Joe

Biden is better than that...

Gwen Ifill: Governor Palin?

Gov. Sarah Palin: I liked being here tonight, answering these

tough questions without the filter of the mainstream gotcha media with

their "follow-up questions", "fact-checking", or "incessant need to

figure out what your words mean and why ya put them in that order".

Anyway it appears that this site has 5-7 regular relentless posters with all the answers and Infinite wisdom. Oh, no! ... and remember the witty 'don't put all your eggs in one basket' and ... 'Accept the good with the bad' ... straight out of:

Readers_Digest00.jpg

I guess we can add one more poster to the list that has it all figured out.

In some cases it is not so much a crisis, more a mid life adventure, discovery or an overdue indulgence.

I'll have to go along with your comment. Six years ago, for my 49th birthday I wanted to go skiing for my birthday as I have skied all my life and never had done it, as my birthday is in August. My daughter was grown and I had the time and money and was single. So I went online and booked a flight to New Zealand and went skiing. Then went over to Australia. I had such a great time I called a very long time friend of mine that had been bugging me for over 20 years to go to Thailand. I booked a flight and I was supposed to stay a month and I stayed 2. Went back to California and was bored, so I booked another flight and ended up staying for 9 months. Went back to CA again for a few months and come back again. By this time I knew where I wanted to stay, so I leased a house that I've been in for 4.5 years. I still go back to CA as I like to see my daughter and some good old friends. I still have an empty house (that's full of my crap) to return to there anytime I want. Life's an adventure, enjoy it while you can!

When i had my first MLC....I was test driving a car....a cute young blonde smiled at me at the lights in it.....I drove back to the yard and bought it.

Then i got a girlfriend 13 years younger than me......

MLC's can be a real headache.

After I finished my puberty, which was quite late, I went straight into mid-life crises.

This means, I divorced my wife (or rather, she divorced me), I bought a Porsche and let my hair grow, well what's left of it. Then I started walking around with the shirt wide open and some gold chains on display until my friend (the only one remained) said I look like a pimp. Ok, hint taken. I sold the Porsche and bought ... but let's not get into that.

Mid-life crises is when I realized that I hadn't accomplished anything in my pathetic life and it (the life) was over soon, anyway, so let's party until I drop. (dead, that is).

Then I met me present wife, who talked some sense into me, which is why I married her after 2 months and had 2 kids with her. After 8 years we moved to Thailand, ready for my second mid-life crises, or is it my second puberty? Not sure, but I keep you informed....

Oh gee, why is my glass empty again?

There seem to be three sorts og guy here

1/working

2/bar fly

3/ ordinary guy married and doing the same things they did back home but in comfortable surroundings and cheaper

Couldn't agree more. Its far easier (and, in the short term, cheaper) to find a woman here.

Never knew I were having a mid life crisis.

The ex in the UK had been asking for a divorce for years, kept saying wait till the children have left school, wait until they have work, wait until they leave home.

Well one left home at the same time the company asked if I wanted a posting out in Indonesia?

Wife at the time could only see "tax rebate", "foreign travel".

Checked out HK, KL and Thailand. Phuket and Bangkok did not like, Pattaya got the nod.

It was agreed that I would walk away from a 4 bed house, two cars and investments. I would keep my pension and not pay maintenance.

Well after 3 years living here met a woman who 3 years later is still with me. Affection and care is showered upon me of a type and range I have never had nor ever seen. Makes me feel humble at times. Taught me to speak Thai and enjoy the thailand and it's countryside outside Pattaya.

Will never leave, since there is nothing that would make me.

The ex wants me back, apologises for her behaviour towards me, calls Thai females all sort of names.

Tell her if a poloka dotted woman from mars treated me nice and kindly, I would still feel the same.

It is not a mid life crisis, more coming to one senses and realising what you want and above all need is not there.

Crisis, what crisis, it is enlightment................