Thai Language School

sgiandubh

Does anyone know if the WALEN THAI LANGUAGE SCHOOL in the Times building near Asoke is any good. I have been trying to find a decent school with decent prices to no avail. Some, talk up their proficiency, some have outdated books, some have outdated teachers, and some just do not "feel right".

The Walen on the other hand has a great web-site and seels itself pretty well so i figure that if they spend time on the basics then maybe their teaching skills will be equally as good - any thoughts?

I strongly recommend against Walen Thai Lnaguage School - so will anyone having attended it as I have. Yes - their advertising is flashy and effective.

For more information see page 18 (and more) - of pinned Topic "Best Thai Language School"

Edited by Parvis

The Walen school is very professional about many things (especially signing you up and handling your visa), and in theory their teaching method is sound. But, in practice they don't teach you the basics. Go try a lesson or two before paying them any money. There's no guide to the alphabet in their books - nor is there at any time in all three books any time where they teach you how to read a Thai word's tone from its spelling. NOR do their teachers have any type of teaching degrees as a rule - nor any teaching experience - ask to see some resumes??

Unfortunately, there are no translations of any of the sentences in the 3 books, but believe me or any other student who went there, they're mostly low value sentences for a beginner student. The three books will not teach you how to have any sort of conversation with a Thai or to even order a coke. How about "i'll be right back" or "let me think about it" or "how do you say that correctly." But, of course, they have lots of grammatically correct sentences and useful vocabulary for an intermediate student; but the intermediate student can probably just go and read a book so why bother?

In Bangkok there are many other choices and you should have a look at the pinned thread on the best thai language schools.