Washing My Passport

It's happened! I loaded the washing machine, it went through the full cycle, then I remembered I had left my passport in the pocket of washed trousers. My visa is a blur, my arrival card is like wet tissue, all my previous visa stamps are unreadale. The passport is has not fell apart, and my ID page, with photo etc, is unscathed. Does anybody know what to do in this situation? I guess I contact immigration about the visa and arrival card, but do I need to get a new (British) passport? It is still drying now, so i don't know what state it will be in when dry, but I'm certain it won't be good. Any advice please.

Edited by sopadilla

I washed my girlfriend's brand new passport earlier this year but I was lucky in that all the stamps were still visible, although blurred. The ink leeched out of the passport photo too.

Put it under something very heavy for a few days. You may find the stamps can still be read.

Emergency passport from Bangkok.

Then 5-8 weeks to get new passport from Hong Kong.

Sorry, the UK only makes new passports for Asia in Hong Kong...

Bless the OK Officials working all the day to help the British citizens in Asian. :P :P :rolleyes:

Edited by PoorSucker

The same happened to me and my visa (two month) was mostly illegible. I/D pages was OK.

I worried for a week or two, but they let me through with little hassle because I was able to provide the dated receipt from the Hull Consulate.

Edited by Beechboy

I'd definitely advise a new passport. I was in the immigration department at the airport a while back (on my way in) and there was a western guy there (I forget his nationality) who'd been refused entry. The back cover (just the cover, no relevant info on the inside) had worn to a hole and they were absolutely adamant that they wouldn't let him into Thailand with it. I looked at it and there was definitely no "information" damage. I'd never give immigration, anywhere, the opportunity to refuse you, so best not to take a risk, I think.

I reckon you've got at least a visit to immigration to square away your departure card. If you're going straight back to the U.K. I suspect you'll be O.K. but if I were you, while you're running about, I'd visit the embassy for an opinion. I think they can issue an emergency id to get you back into the UK without a passport if they conclude yours is no good. I'm sure somebody on TV has had this experience. I actually had my passport nicked on the flight into BKK once and the Embassy got me a new one in 5 working hours, so I can't say enough good things about their service.

If you're here as a tourist - check with the embassy about whether the passport will work for your return trip if the data page seems OK.

If it will, then to be honest, you're probably fine with a possible trip to immigration. (You might be able to leave it until the airport - I had no major issues when I lost my departure card once, but I suppose my visa and stamps were still readable. If you do leave it until you get to the airport, make sure you have lots of time... - they should be able to find you on the computer and confirm you haven't overstayed, but a trip to immigration beforehand doesn't risk missing your flight.)

If you live here and you're not planning on travelling before you'd be able to get a new passport back from HK, just apply for the new passport. (You keep the existing one while you're waiting for the new one)

Once you've got the new passport, it should just be a matter of going to immigration with it.

I did exactly the same as you about 18 months ago.

I went to the British Embassy (they were still processing Passports then). They gave me a letter to carry at all times, stating that my P/p was in the process of being renewed, due to damage.

On receipt of the new P/p I had to take both old and new to Immigration. They retrieved what information they could from the old one and entered it in a stamped area in the new P/p. e.g. date of arrival, date of extension etc. They then gave a new entry for my cuurent extension. and took 1000Bt for their trouble. If the landing card is that badly damaged they might replace it, but they just stapled mine into the new P/p.

Bottom line is RENEW Passport before going to Immigration and carry the Embassy letter at ALL times until new P/p arrives.

Good luck.

I did exactly the same as you about 18 months ago.

I went to the British Embassy (they were still processing Passports then). They gave me a letter to carry at all times, stating that my P/p was in the process of being renewed, due to damage.

On receipt of the new P/p I had to take both old and new to Immigration. They retrieved what information they could from the old one and entered it in a stamped area in the new P/p. e.g. date of arrival, date of extension etc. They then gave a new entry for my cuurent extension. and took 1000Bt for their trouble. If the landing card is that badly damaged they might replace it, but they just stapled mine into the new P/p.

Bottom line is RENEW Passport before going to Immigration and carry the Embassy letter at ALL times until new P/p arrives.

Good luck.

All this argues for having handy a 'xeroxed" (and, yes, small letters, I saw the add by XEROX in this morning's "other paper.") copy of your passport handy. Worked for me a couple years back when replacing a lost passport, made things easier with Thai Immigration in looking things up.

Mac

Go to the British Embassy and seek advice, they still process lost and damaged passports, though the replacement will still be issued from Hong Kong.

I've heard of money laundering, but never passport laundering :rolleyes:

Passport laundering used to be done all the time when it as not legal to enter Israel with a Muslim state stamp or Greece with a stamp from Turkish Cyprus.

Edited by harrry

Thank you for your replies and moral support. I will apply for a replacement through the British Embassy before I make any attempt to travel. I have checked with Immigration, and they said it is not damaged enough to cause me problems while in Thailand. When it dried, the stamps became clear again.

. When it dried, the stamps became clear again.

Interesting. I didn't get to see our washed passport while it was still wet as it had dried inside the pocket in the wardrobe over a period of weeks...afterwhich all dates were still readable.

I wouldn't waste time - take the damaged goods to the Embassy and get it recorded. Get HK underway and get the new passport, then go to Immigration with old and new and get them to swing this into play. It is not that difficult and many have experienced the same problem.

Perhaps I'm paranoid:lol: I keep multiple copies of every page in my passport, both on paper and stored on my hard drives. Also driving licence and birth certificate. I can't find my marriage certificate though, is that significant? :whistling:

Perhaps I'm paranoid:lol: I keep multiple copies of every page in my passport, both on paper and stored on my hard drives. Also driving licence and birth certificate. I can't find my marriage certificate though, is that significant? :whistling:

That depends on whether you need to find your wife or not.

Edited by Tanaka

I left my passport in the safety of a security box in the reception of a hotel in Patong one Boxing Day morning while I went out for breakfast nearby. After the tsunami we found the boxes washed into the kitchen. I had placed it, and my cash stash, in sealable plastic food bags... but being in a nice secure hotel safe I hadn't bothered to seal them :rolleyes:.

The cash dried out okay but he passport stamps almost disappeared and the ID page separated from the covering film. I carefully repositioned everything and dried it out and things re-attached enough to get me home and a replacement for free. The entry/exit slip almost dissolved. Travelling home a couple of weeks after the event just the word 'tsunami' was all the explanation needed at both Thai and UK passport control.

Anyway, since then my passport has almost never left my side. I noticed it was getting worn so I found a waterproof, heavy-duty PVC wallet to keep it in and hang it round my neck, safe from thieves/rain/perspiration and even tsunamis (assuming I seal it properly). Also emergency credit/debit card, SIM card.

ppt.jpg

The company that makes the wallets are called Omniseal of Seattle, WA. I first found their products in Florida but haven't seen them since in the US or elsewhere, so I mail-ordered a bunch of them direct. My certificates and other important documents live in an A4+ version.

Cheers,

K.

I'd definitely advise a new passport. I was in the immigration department at the airport a while back (on my way in) and there was a western guy there (I forget his nationality) who'd been refused entry. The back cover (just the cover, no relevant info on the inside) had worn to a hole and they were absolutely adamant that they wouldn't let him into Thailand with it. I looked at it and there was definitely no "information" damage. I'd never give immigration, anywhere, the opportunity to refuse you, so best not to take a risk, I think.

I reckon you've got at least a visit to immigration to square away your departure card. If you're going straight back to the U.K. I suspect you'll be O.K. but if I were you, while you're running about, I'd visit the embassy for an opinion. I think they can issue an emergency id to get you back into the UK without a passport if they conclude yours is no good. I'm sure somebody on TV has had this experience. I actually had my passport nicked on the flight into BKK once and the Embassy got me a new one in 5 working hours, so I can't say enough good things about their service.

Never had a problem with my passport from witch the front gold print is disappeared completely because i carry it all the time with me (3 years almost ) airport , visa runs , never any remark as inside pages shows your country and all they need .t know about the person.......!!.

Now I don't feel so bad. I i made a trip to Pattaya, and upon returning here to BKK, I did my wash and the first thing out of the machine was my P/P, complete with departure card and 90 day report.

I headed to the US Embassy with all intents of getting a new P/P but after it was inspected (by a US worker) and also his supervisor, i was told it was in OK shape, all stamps, visa's etc were plainly readable altho the front and back cover looked as tho they were 70 years old instead of 7 !

Departure card still readable altho in several pieces, but the 90 day report was in the worst condition - just some fundamentals like date and signature still plain. I just sent it in for my new 90 report with the usual documents, albeit badly battered. Now am waiting to see if my new one will come back or I will get a stern letter to report to Immigration. Will keep you posted!

• 5 weeks later...

Never had a problem with my passport from witch the front gold print is disappeared completely because i carry it all the time with me (3 years almost ) airport , visa runs , never any remark as inside pages shows your country and all they need .t know about the person.......!!.

Yeah, well mine's the same, but that's not a hole in the cover, which is what this poor bloke had. I'm not suggesting that you should always keep a pristine passport, far from it, but significant damage (a torn out page scotch taped back in, for example) is, I think, risky. Travel is arduous enough without running into what should be avoidable problems. A passport that has obviously been through a washing machine, regardless of the condition of the stamps once it has dried out, has got to raise a flag with an immigration officer. It's not what he can see that will bother him, it's what he imagines he can't see as a result of a cupful of Tide.