Scaffolding In Front Of Central World Bangkok Collapses, Killing 2

webfact

Scaffolding in Front of Central World Collapses, Killing 2

The scaffolding at the construction site in front of Central World on the side near Zen Department Store has collapsed. Two construction workers have been found dead on the scene. Rescue teams are struggling to help other construction workers who are believed to be trapped under the rubble. Voices can be heard from below the collapsed scaffold, crying pleas for help.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-10-29

footer_n.gif

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 workers injured when scaffold as Central World collapses

A scaffold for workers to repair the fire-damaged Central World collapsed Friday, injuring four workers, police said.

The accident happened at 10 am.

Rescue workers were searching whether more workers were trapped under the collapsed scaffold.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-29

Two bodies found under collapsed Central World scaffold

Rescue workers pulled out two bodies from the collapsed scaffold of Central World, police said.

The scaffold on which workers were repairing the fire-ravaged Central World shopping centre, collapsed at 10 am Friday.

Four other workers were injured and rushed to the Police Hospital.

Rescue workers were still searching for possible survivors under the scaffold after they heard a male voice calling for help.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-29

I wonder how it collapsed, poor construction of the scaffold or corrosion, my money would be on the first one. I would not go on a building site in this country for love nor money.

Corrosion would be unlikely - it hasn't been there long enough. I'd go with the first one too.

I wonder how it collapsed, poor construction of the scaffold or corrosion, my money would be on the first one. I would not go on a building site in this country for love nor money.

Corrosion would be unlikely - it hasn't been there long enough. I'd go with the first one too.

I think from memory having passed it is a steel scaffold as opposed to the bamboo one, if old poles or brackets were used then corrossion is possible, but I am pretty certain someone has fuc_ked up and that's why it has collapsed. I wonder if it is scaffold inside or outside the building, if outside its lucky is collapsed as opposed to toppled.

DEVELOPMENTS on Scaffold Collapse

The metropolitan police chief has revealed that a total of six people were injured in the accident. Two construction workers died on the scene. Officials have been able to fix a gas leak which was earlier reported. However, a team of investigators will be set up to find the cause of the collapse.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

DEVELOPMENTS on Scaffold Collapse

The metropolitan police chief has revealed that a total of six people were injured in the accident. Two construction workers died on the scene. Officials have been able to fix a gas leak which was earlier reported. However, a team of investigators will be set up to find the cause of the collapse.

tanlogo.jpg

footer_n.gif

yeah, good luck with that one :whistling:

another chance for palms to be greased

ACCIDENT

Scaffold at CentralWorld collapsed, kiling two

By The Nation

Rescue workers are still searching for workers they believed trapped under debris after a scaffold at CentralWorld Shopping Complex on Rajdamri Road collapsed Friday morning.

The accident that took place at about 10.30am killed two workers at the scene and injured four others. The injured workers were rushed to nearby Police Hospital.

The search for more workers possibly trapped under the debris started when calls for help were heard under the debris.

Rescue workers pulled out two bodies from the collapsed scaffold of Central World, police said.

The workers were repairing the CentralWorld burnt down by red shirts protesters when their protests at Rajprasong ended in May.

Rescue workers already pulled out two bodies from the collapsed scaffold of Central World, police said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-29

The Scaffold was made of steal and had pretty much circled the entire Zen side of the building. Corrosion maybe, or someone didn't tighten a few of the brackets holding it together. Or, the sight foreperson didn't do regular inspections of the support structure like most do in other countries.

The Scaffold was made of steal and had pretty much circled the entire Zen side of the building. Corrosion maybe, or someone didn't tighten a few of the brackets holding it together. Or, the sight foreperson didn't do regular inspections of the support structure like most do in other countries.

Or someone took out random bolts to sell them. The Thais will often steal 3 bolts out of a 4 bolt light post, leaving 1 holding the light post up.

Cost cutting???? I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

Pathetic

also why was my post removed about the investigation? I simply said palms will be greased and it will all be forgotten about

I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

What did the red shirts have to do with it?

Even though they burnt the place down, they can't be held responsible for shoddy construction methods.

I'm not in the least surprised, Only last week I had to lend our scaffolder a spanner to tighten nuts on fixings as he just hung on them after hand tightening them to check if safe enough !!! Also same week took my sons bicycle to a reputable (god only knows how) bicycle repair shop for two new tyres to be fitted. It was returned with painted white 'Direction of travel' markings facing backwards and a nut missing.

They were really jostling with the Laotians and Nigerians at the back of the queue when God handed out brains weren't they.

Cost cutting???? I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

Pathetic

also why was my post removed about the investigation? I simply said palms will be greased and it will all be forgotten about

It's still there ... post #10.

As always the facts will speak for themselves. I agree that poor construction is more likely than corrosion but other possibilities are an external accident.(eg a vehicle crashing into the scaffold) incorrect design ( scaffold over a certain height has to be designed by a licensed Engineer according to Thai Law), subsidence of the ground under the support legs, pure stupidity( e.g. the two deceased had a fight and fell off the scaffold) and overloading with material to name a few. On good construction sites in Thailand ( meaning an owner who cares and a world class contractor)scaffold is inspected and certified before use and is as safe as any in the world. I personally have walked around on scaffold up to 200m above the ground on projects in Thailand without any concern because I knew that it had been built to a good standard and properly designed. Whatever the cause is found to be it will certainly have been a preventable accident and of course a very sad loss of life

I Certainly hope the dodgy construction company and the RED Shirt criminals can be made accountable for these unfortunate alas additional victims.

Even though they burnt the place down, they can't be held responsible for shoddy construction methods.

Rather than blame red shirts, why not blame the government ? They are responsible for health and safety organisations aren't they ! Abhisit and his monkey have more blood on their hands (as well as cash)

Pathetic

Maybe you don't want to see a connection to the red shirts but I'm sure many do see a connection.

It's called cause and effect.

If the red shirts hadn't burned it down - they wouldn't have scaffolding around it to repair it. Pretty obvious I would have thought?:blink:

same week took my sons bicycle to a reputable (god only knows how) bicycle repair shop for two new tyres to be fitted. It was returned with painted white 'Direction of travel' markings facing backwards and a nut missing.

I wonder how many new tires that shop has put on bikes, and still can't get it right? Seriously, how do you screw up putting on bicycle tires? I was completely taking apart bikes and putting them back together properly in the 4th grade.

The incompetence in this country is overwhelming sometimes.

"Foreman", not "foreperson". It's hardly likely to be a woman is it. Eeuurgh. Horrible PC words have crept into Thailand.

Pathetic

It's still there ... post #10.

oops :whistling:

time to put my glasses on