Had The Job Interview, Now What?

Hi, I haven't posted on here before, but have had a good look through the many topics on here to try to find an exact answer to my question with no luck.

So hopefully some of you out there that have experience with this can give me some guidance...

This is my situation - Through a connection I was able to set up an informal interview while I was in Thailand about 4 weeks ago. Then about 2 weeks ago, once I was back to the US, I had a phone interview with the two managing directors of the company. In my opinion, everything about the interview went extremely well. We agreed upon a start date, but ended the conversation with salary negotiating. I told them the lowest I was willing to go and they told me they would try to figure out a way to justify paying me this amount (probably just a ploy to get me to go lower).

The thing I failed to ask was when I should expect to hear back from them. So about 1 1/2 weeks go by with nothing so I decide to call them for an update. I was told by the Thai managing director that they were 'looking at the different options for my employment and besides that extremely busy running a good size company'. When I asked him when I should expect an answer, he said he wasn't sure, but would email me to set up another conference call.

So my question is this - from what you've read, would you say I'm being blown off? Or are they sincerely just really busy and will get back to me on their own (Thai) time? Because we agreed on a start date 2 months from now is it possible they put me on the bottom of their to do list because they feel this isn't an urgent matter? Finally, how long should I give them this time before contacting them without seeming overly anxious?

Thanks in advance for anyone's honest input, it is most appriciated.

Hard to say...but yes is often an answer when it really isn't a yes. Snap decisions are not made but deferred until they become imperative. Could be they are busy, or could be they want to leave their options open, could be avoiding confrontation or avoiding admitting thay can't (or won't) pay you that much.

Don't mean to cause you worry, but recently we renegotiated with my wife's office workplace...she quit and they kept calling her to come back, and we asked for a different setup. All was fine, even had lunch togther. All smiles and yesses -- get back to us soon. Haven't heard from them since (about a week now, and they wanted her to start again Aug. 1).

Again, hard to say, but I would certainly have a firm agreement with them before flying around the world...

As you will need all the paperwork to start the ball rolling, in terms of an offer letter to get your Visa and start preparing for your work permit, you could start my asking them to get that in order so you can apply in your own country for the correct Visa and get them to tell you the actual documents you will need for the Work Permit to go as smoothly as possible.

I wouldnt go down the route of telling them you have another offer but let them know there are other opportunities that you are following and for you own benefit it would be beneficial to both parties to tie all the loose ends together.

Remember from a Thai point of view they can work extreamly slowly in getting an offer put together (sometimes it can take 5 weeks with some of our clients), especially if it involves employing a non-Thai.

If you could give us some more details in regards to the job description as well as the salary you would agree upon, then I’m sure we can figure out if they are blowing you off or seriously considering fitting you into their organization.

You have to remember that if the job doesn’t require some special skills that only you can provide, they can probably find a Thai person to do the same job at a lot cheaper than what I assume you were asking for.

Tompa,

Sounds like a brush off to me, driven by a desire to save face around their unwillingness / inability to pay the required salary.

Sorry, but that's my read of the situation.

These words of wisdom have helped me a lot in LOS, and they apply particularly in business (I think i read them here, so apologies for plagiarism)

If a Thai says yes, he means maybe

If a Thai says maybe, he means no

If a Thai says no, he means 'what the <deleted> you talking about, crazy farang. Now way!'

Beyond the usual stereotyped remarks, there’s no way anyone here will be able to assess what the outcome will be for your situation. Are we to assume that your interviews have been with thai MDs and not falang MDs? The only thing in your control is you!

Without knowing the context of your interviews, it appears that you may have blundered one of the many and varied rules of negotiation: Don’t accept a job offer until the compensation has been discussed and don’t be the one to offer up an amount first.

Obviously you set yourself up for disappointment if you accept a job and haven’t agreed upon compensation. When negotiating compensation, being the first to tell them what you want is like showing them your hand at a poker table. If you’re lower than they expected, you probably would have heard back from them a lot sooner. If you’re higher than they expected, then they will take time to figure out if you’re worth it or not. It’s much better to find out what they are willing to offer and for you to bargain for more if necessary. Of course if they offered you more, then shut up and smile. :o

I have a feeling that you were too high and they are looking for alternatives. Don’t lose all hope though and be prepared to compromise. After all, you endgame is to work in Thailand where the fringe benefits outweigh much of the disparity you will find in your salary.

Thanks to everyone that has given me their input on my situation. To try to answer some of your questions-

Tompa - I don't want to go into what the job is on this forum, but I can tell you it is a job only a foreigner can do for many reasons. Also regarding salary, after doing some research I feel my lowest amount was more than resonable. The difference between my lowest offer and their offer is about 8000 baht per month. One option I was thinking about was taking their initial offer while having a provision in our contract that states in 6 months I will be reviewed and they can at that time raise my wage to my desired amount or close to it if they feel it is justified.

Vit42 - Yes I did make the mistake of giving an amount first, but only after asking them an amount, to which their answer was 'you first'! In our negotiating I did come down quite a bit from my initial offer, but they have yet to come up from their initial offer. Do you think I should wait it out and hope they raise their offer or assume I have to take their initial offer or no job at all?

I would take their offer. 8,000 Baht difference isn't that much, anyway. Get the job, get over here and start working. Once you have experience under your belt, getting a better paying job down the road will be easier.

Do not tell them you have another offer. It would just make you look pathetic.

I say - go for it!