British woman stabbed to death in Phuket

HarryHacker

A couple of updates (previously written details omitted):

UK man confesses to Phuket murder

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) -- A man has confessed to brutally killing his British girlfriend on the Thai resort island of Phuket and said he slashed his wrist afterward out of guilt, police have said.

Briton Paul Chetwynd-Talbot, 32, was hospitalized with serious wounds from his apparent suicide attempt but will be charged with the premeditated murder of Debra O'Hanlon, 31, as soon he has recovered sufficiently, police said.

He turned himself in to police Wednesday night with his injury unbandaged and was later admitted to the hospital, suffering from extensive blood loss, police said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Family shuns Thai death probe Brit

A relative of a British man who confessed to killing his ex-girlfriend in Thailand revealed that the man had been disowned by his own family.

It emerged that Chetwynd-Talbot was born Paul Rowlands, and took on the name when his grandmother married Michael Chetwynd-Talbot. Mr Chetwynd-Talbot, 70, said that his relative had taken advantage of the family's links to the Earl of Shrewsbury - who shares the same surname.

Speaking from his home in Cheddar, Somerset, Mr Chetwynd-Talbot said: "I do remember him when he was growing up and he was a terrible boy. I don't have any link to him. I don't consider him a relative or a grandson. He's nothing to do with me."

He said he had severed ties with Paul 10 years ago after accusing him of stealing money and cashing in on the family name.

"We were both drunk. It was just a stupid argument. I walked towards the bathroom, she slapped me, I grabbed her hand and tossed her onto the bed. Her face hit the headboard, I think I broke her neck."

'oh yeah, and then after that, I think I broke her jaw and stabbed her in the head several times - unintentionally, of course.' 

I hope this useless scumbag gets what he deserves and then some.

My condolences to her family and friends.

He didnt stab her Kat, that was reported initially as there was blood evrywhere in the room when the police arrived - Sherlock Holmes they arent. There were no stab wounds on here body, it was the blood coming from his wrists - they got confused.

It actually does sound like she fell badly and was very unlucky to die from it. Although I am not sticking up for this guy, but after talking to a few of their neighbours who heard the fight, it sounds like it was accidental.

The police are now claiming it was premeditated, which is ridiculous considering the circumstances.

Should he be punished, ofcourse he should, but he wasnt a hatchet weilding phsyco who planned an attack - he was a drunk, depressed man who killed his lady.

Lets see the outcome anyway, very sad for the family of the lady.

The reports can definitely be wrong, but so too the neighbors. I read in a few accounts that she had stab wounds to the head and a broken jaw. It may not have been premeditated violence, but a broken jaw and a bad fall resulting in a broken neck sounds like quite a lot of force.

And I also think that the "crime of passion" charge is exploited by murderers in Thailand that know they will get a lesser sentence. I'm not saying that this is necessarily the case here, but I've read about many domestic murders in Thailand where it does seem the case.

• 6 months later...

UPDATE

Thai murder trial could take years

THE trial of a man accused of murdering his girlfriend on a Thai holiday island could take years to be concluded.

Paul Chetwynd-Talbot, 32, is charged with the murder of Kettering teacher Debra O'Hanlon at a holiday home in Phuket in August last year.

His trial will begin on Monday with a short hearing to decide which witnesses will be called and when they will appear before the court. However, because of the way the Thai judicial system works it may then be months or even a year until the trial begins properly.

Alasdair Forbes is the managing editor of the Phuket Gazette and said the trial was unlikely to be resolved quickly. He said: "We doubt very much that the trial will be over fast, as he is pleading not guilty to murder and is claiming it was accidental. "That means a full trial, which in Thailand could take two years or more, with weeks between hearings."

Miss O'Hanlon's parents, Pat and Malcolm O'Hanlon, of Torrington Crescent, Wellingborough, said they had no immediate plans to travel to Phuket. Mrs O'Hanlon said: "The only time we would go would be when it came to the trial itself. "We are at the point where as much as we would like it to be settled quickly we understand that this is the way the Thai police and the Thai courts work. "They are extremely busy but they have him in custody and will hear it when they have time. "I am not worried because I know whatever sentence he gets will be served on top of the time he has already spent in jail."

Chetwynd-Talbot claims he killed Miss O'Hanlon by accident after a drunken argument, but police on the island have recommended he be tried for murder. He has not been given bail and has been in jail in Phuket since turning himself in to police after the body of 31-year-old Miss O'Hanlon, of Blenheim Way, Kettering, was found by police after she failed to turn up to a barbecue with friends.

17 February 2006

Kettering News

Edited by sriracha john

UPDATE

Thai murder trial could take years

THE trial of a man accused of murdering his girlfriend on a Thai holiday island could take years to be concluded.

Paul Chetwynd-Talbot, 32, is charged with the murder of Kettering teacher Debra O'Hanlon at a holiday home in Phuket in August last year.

His trial will begin on Monday with a short hearing to decide which witnesses will be called and when they will appear before the court. However, because of the way the Thai judicial system works it may then be months or even a year until the trial begins properly.

Alasdair Forbes is the managing editor of the Phuket Gazette and said the trial was unlikely to be resolved quickly. He said: "We doubt very much that the trial will be over fast, as he is pleading not guilty to murder and is claiming it was accidental. "That means a full trial, which in Thailand could take two years or more, with weeks between hearings."

Miss O'Hanlon's parents, Pat and Malcolm O'Hanlon, of Torrington Crescent, Wellingborough, said they had no immediate plans to travel to Phuket. Mrs O'Hanlon said: "The only time we would go would be when it came to the trial itself. "We are at the point where as much as we would like it to be settled quickly we understand that this is the way the Thai police and the Thai courts work. "They are extremely busy but they have him in custody and will hear it when they have time. "I am not worried because I know whatever sentence he gets will be served on top of the time he has already spent in jail."

Chetwynd-Talbot claims he killed Miss O'Hanlon by accident after a drunken argument, but police on the island have recommended he be tried for murder. He has not been given bail and has been in jail in Phuket since turning himself in to police after the body of 31-year-old Miss O'Hanlon, of Blenheim Way, Kettering, was found by police after she failed to turn up to a barbecue with friends.

17 February 2006

Kettering News

A bit of a contrast with the two fishermen from koh samui!!

If she were killed by Thai I cant imagine how Thaivisa user will ridicule thai people here.

The guy who killed this innocent girl is a bad person. He can not run very far because he does not have Thai Nationality. Mr. Remmy , you need to realize that Thai people do not deserve speacial treatment beacause this is their country. I am talking about in every case, Justice, investment, etc.....

If she were killed by Thai I cant imagine how Thaivisa user will ridicule thai people here.

The guy who killed this innocent girl is a bad person. He can not run very far because he does not have Thai Nationality. Mr. Remmy , you need to realize that Thai people do not deserve speacial treatment beacause this is their country. I am talking about in every case, Justice, investment, etc.....

Actually he cannot run very far because he is in jail, and I doubt his cell is large enough...