Thailand "Deadliest" Destination For Aussies

george

Thailand "deadliest" destination for Aussies

Aussie travellers who go on a tragic one-way trip

POPULAR travel destinations in Asia can be danger zones, Thailand and Vietnam recording the highest number of deaths from illness of Australian travellers.

Figures from the Department of Foreign Affairs show that Thailand had more deaths from illness than any other country, with 147 Australians dying there between 2005 and 2010. In the same period Vietnam recorded 123 deaths from illness and the Philippines recorded 109.

Thailand also had the highest number of Australian deaths termed ''accidental'', with 61 such deaths recorded in the past five years.

Graham Kingaby, of Travel Insurance Direct, said people tended to get into trouble abroad because they relaxed their usual standards of safety when travelling.

''People hire mopeds and, while in Sydney they wouldn't think about not wearing a crash helmet or jeans, abroad they wear shorts and no helmet and think they are impervious to asphalt,'' he said.

Advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs warns there is a risk of malaria, and Thai authorities have reported a rise in dengue fever cases and a number of deaths. But Muddappa Prabhu, a doctor at the International Travel Vaccination Centre in Sydney, said that as few as 14 per cent of those going abroad sought the full course of required vaccinations.

Dr Prabhu blamed travel agents for not giving customers enough information about jabs for fear that the cost would put them off taking the trip.

Paul Dillon, the director of Drug and Alcohol Research and Training Australia, said his research had found young Australians were more likely to experiment with drugs and alcohol when overseas. The low prices of illicit drugs overseas - particularly in Asia and Britain - were a drawcard for travellers.

''Young people [are] more likely to be risk takers as well. When you put all of that together, unfortunately there can be negative consequences.''

Australians were most likely to be murdered in the Philippines - 13 have been killed in the past five years. Indonesia and the US came in second and third.

Some families are still waiting for answers, like that of the former model Jacinta Rees, 46, who was found dead in Portugal in 2008. Portuguese authorities said it was suicide but evidence emerged last week that she was murdered: she was found with axe wounds to her head and body. Brother Cameron Rees said the family had been in ''absolute turmoil'' and accused the Portuguese government of a cover-up.

''It's been a very hard road for us. We've really had no help from the Australian government at all. We repatriated her body ourselves and that took 24 days.''

A Department of Foreign Affairs spokeswoman said Australia's embassy ''vigorously pursued an open and transparent investigation by the Portuguese authorities''.

On average, 15 Australians die overseas each week. This includes deaths from natural causes. In the past five years 3938 Australians have died overseas.

The department said the death rate was not high compared with the number of Australians who travelled. In the past five years there have been 29.1 million departures of permanent residents from Australia.

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/aussie-travellers-who-go-on-a-tragic-oneway-trip-20101030-17869.html

without relating the above details to the number of travellers and their length of stay the above statistics are meaningless and misleading

Exactly,

it's the number of deaths, diseases or accidents

per numbers of Ausies here

multipled by amount of time spent.

And the same for all the other areas.

How many incidents per 100,000 Aussies x over a 5 year period

without relating the above details to the number of travellers and their length of stay the above statistics are meaningless and misleading

Exactly,

Tosh!!, why should it be like that??, just because you say so?

This article contains much common sense and has at least some some scource unlike yours & Aussie is the correct term cobber, oops I see you have noticed!

Advice from the Department of Foreign Affairs warns there is a risk of malaria, and Thai authorities have reported a rise in dengue fever cases and a number of deaths. But Muddappa Prabhu, a doctor at the International Travel Vaccination Centre in Sydney, said that as few as 14 per cent of those going abroad sought the full course of required vaccinations.

Hum... Have they come up with a vaccine for dengue or malaria that I haven't ever heard of? I caught chikungunya here and there's no vaccine for that either. So, am I missing the point, or is the the reporter misinformed? Yet again!

Edited by Jimi007

Article does not have to correct nor factual. Let this run in Oz media and minimum 1/3 of bookings will be canceled

Put it on the website as a warning as another 1/3 will be canceled.

The only ones that will come either ones who can not read and sex tourists and there is nothing keeping them away from girls 1/3 of their age.

Exactly,

Tosh!!, why should it be like that??, just because you say so?

This article contains much common sense and has at least some some scource unlike yours & Aussie is the correct term cobber, oops I see you have noticed!

As a warning it's dangerous here, that's fine.

But of they want to use statistics, then there has to be

a common reference, or it is meaningless tosh.

This isn't my personal preference, but basic statistical analysis.

Without common reference points it's just a scare story.

Edited by animatic

I wonder how many foreigners die in

Australia every year ? I think it will be more than the amount of Australians who die here in Thailand ?

You are comparing ALL foreigners dying in Australia, to ONLY Australians dying in Thailand.

I wonder how many Thais die in Australia each year. Probably a lot less than Australians dying in Thailand.

Need to track this in dppm levels. DPPM (Dead Persons Per Million). I believe this is low, probably way below 100, but this data was not released. I believe this article is meant more of a warning to potential Australians travelers to make sure they take all the proper medical precautions and abide by the laws as how they would in Australia.

basically this post seemd to suggest that Asssies have brain cell geans than everyone else :rolleyes:

HUH? Try proof reading your post, as it doesn't make any sense. I am guessing that you meant to say: Basically this post seems to suggest that Asssies have less brain cell genes than everyone else?

basically this post seemd to suggest that Asssies have brain cell geans than everyone else :rolleyes:

HUH? Try proof reading your post, as it doesn't make any sense. I am guessing that you meant to say: Basically this post seems to suggest that Asssies have less brain cell genes than everyone else?

Maybe he is the one with less brain cells.

Australia every year ? I think it will be more than the amount of Australians who die here in Thailand ?

You are comparing ALL foreigners dying in Australia, to ONLY Australians dying in Thailand.

I wonder how many Thais die in Australia each year. Probably a lot less than Australians dying in Thailand.

Considering the Abo's being native Australians,everyone else there is a foreigner !! :D

Yet another flawed Study/Data,

To achieve some balance it would need:

1. Figures per Nation living in Thailand.

2. length of stay.

3. Causes of death.

4. % of foreigners from each Nationality who died in Thailand.

5. % of deaths compared with foreigners own country.

To name but a few.

Article does not have to correct nor factual. Let this run in Oz media and minimum 1/3 of bookings will be canceled

The only ones that will come either ones who can not read and sex tourists and there is nothing keeping them away from girls 1/3 of their age.

Ummmm............... source was Sydney Morning Herald, one of, if not the, best newspaper in oz. AFAIK very few oz tourists are aware TVF exists, I certainly didn't. Your cancellation figures seem therefore more than slightly exaggerated.

Edited by OzMick

Ummmm............... source was Sydney Morning Herald, one of, if not the, best newspaper in oz. AFAIK very oz tourists are aware TVF exists, I certainly didn't. Your cancellation figures seem therefore more than slightly exaggerated.

Why do not you add a few graphs and tables for the accuracy.

Considering the Abo's being native Australians,everyone else there is a foreigner !! :D

The aboriginals were foreigners at one stage too.

I think the UK also lists Thailand as the place where the most number of travelers die while on holiday. Here is a bit more info from another source. The numbers don't seem to add up to me????

On average, 15 Australians die overseas each week. This includes deaths from natural causes. In the past five years 3938 Australians have died overseas.

The department said the death rate was not high compared with the number of Australians who travelled. In the past five years there have been 29.1 million departures of permanent residents from Australia.

I think the UK also lists Thailand as the place where the most number of travelers die while on holiday. Here is a bit more info from another source. The numbers don't seem to add up to me????

Another source? That info is in the OP word for word.

The numbers: 29 mil permanent residents departing - people going on holidays or business trips, leaving the country for a short time. It doesn't include tourists departing.

I would say probably zero. Good point

Another source? That info is in the OP word for word.

The numbers: 29 mil permanent residents departing - people going on holidays or business trips, leaving the country for a short time. It doesn't include tourists departing.

Not bad for a population of 28 Mil I know that I make up for 12 departures.

The aboriginals were foreigners at one stage too.

Yes. But at that time, living in a group on the other side of the next hill

was being a foreigner.

Edited by animatic

Probably a lot more than anyone would imagine, a lot of migrants still keep their original nationality so technically they are not Australian Citizens, so you could have a migrant from the UK or Thailand who dies a natural death, but still comes under the statistics of a foreigner dying in Australia, I think the interesting statistic would be to find out the percentage of those who died from no natural causes, not wanting to be ghoulish on this Halloween

They should also give the ages of those that have deceased as a lot of Aussie travellers to Thailand & Vietnam are 60+, therefor in a higher risk bracket of dying after contracting certain diseases.

Heart attack 60 - 70+ old Aussies with 19 yr old bar girls not good for the heart.