Smart Purse Card

Ive been living in BKK for about a year now and am sick of traveling with larger sums of cash. Looking into the Smart Purse cards that are issued from 7/11s and stuff like that seem like a cool solution. I picked up a 711 one but dont see any fees associated with it. Does anyone know of any other prepaid cards or have experience with the smart purse to help me either way?

Im very concerned about the fees because back in the US some prepaid can end up costing an arm and a leg just to load.

The wife had one of these 7-11 cards at one point.... they were pushing them a while back and if you got one, they gave you extra points for one of the free give-a0way promotions if you bought stuff with the smart card. I do not remember there being any fees associated with it... just fill up and use, when empty, fill it up again...

That being said, you can only use it at 7-11.

Based upon your post, it seems the better solution for you would be to get a debit card from your Thai Bank, as you could then just use one card instead of trying to find a prepaid card for every outlet...

The Bangkok Bank debit card can also be used for Sky train as well...

Be 1st Debit Card

Edited by CWMcMurray

The main issue I have with the BKK Bank card is that it requires you to open an account. I'm really looking for a card that doesn't require a savings or current account.

Ive done a lot of research for a prepaid card here, does one not exist?

If you're looking for an Octopus (Hong Kong) or Oyster (London) like micro-payment card you're out of luck, one does not exist.

The 7-eleven card is the best fit, sadly it wasn't taken up by many outlets other than 7. It's biggest disadvantage is it does not work on the mass transit systems, if it did maybe, just maybe, it would be a viable proposition.

gibv.

re ... Looking into the Smart Purse cards that are issued from 7/11s

about four years ago after toooooo many errr umm ... mistakes with my change

i asked a tiny assistant about one and she produced a form in thai and gave it to me

i gave it back to her with 500 baht , my name address phone number card and said .... you can do ?

she nodded ... ok ill come back in ten minits

after eating my cake and a yoghurt i went back and there it was .... all sorted

the card cost me 150 baht then coz i had 350 baht credit ... ( now ? ) and when it gets a bit low i always ask them to put 500 baht inside

you get a reciept with every purchace and one with a huge 500 on it so you know its been credited and ive never been short changed since

dave2

ps ... the girl phoned me a few days later and asked if i wanted to see her one evening ?! ... now let me think ; )