Chalerm Warns Of Violent Protest If Thai Polls Not Called Soon

webfact

Chalerm warns of violent protest if polls not called soon

By The Nation on Sunday

gallery_327_1086_18489.jpg

Senior Pheu Thai politicians yesterday warned the government that unless a general election was called soon and power returned to the voters, the country might witness a "violent protest".

Chief Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung said during a meeting of party MPs from the northeast in Chiang Mai that he believed the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration was preparing for an election, judging by the promotions of senior police officers nationwide.

"Although the government has got a lot of support from many elements, they are unable to please the grass-roots people. The country is not at peace now because the Democrat Party is trying to repeat the previous mistakes and putting pressure on the people. If the government fails to return power to the people, a new round of protests could become violent if people express their discontent," he said.

Chalerm said the party was ready to tell the electorate that ousted and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra will return if Pheu Thai wins the next election. He added that the tables will be turned against the government if the World Court accepts the cases of nine deaths at Wat Pathum Wanaram on May 19.

He said that would in effect make the current government leaders unable to travel abroad freely as they would be wanted by the world court.

The veteran politician said double standards in Thai politics continued "repeatedly" and more and more people now recognise that this government wasn't "truly elected by the people" while whatever Thaksin or red shirts do is regarded as wrong.

Chalerm said Pheu Thai would win 135 seats in the 17 northeastern provinces if elections were held now and urged former premiers Chavalit Yongchaiyudh and Somchai Wongsawat to steer the party forward.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who is the leader of the ruling Democrat Party, has said there "will definitely be" a general election next year and that he will not stay on until his term is completed in early 2012.

At the same meeting, Chavalit told the MPs that a democratic change was needed to solve the current political problems. He said the four committees appointed by the prime minister would fail to achieve results within the three years mandated by the administration.

Chavalit said yesterday that the party would continue to gain support from the people because Thaksin "cares for the poor".

"The situation is close to election time. We must prepare many things. The party is already making a move ... It's noted that our opponents accuse Pheu Thai Party of being disloyal to the throne and the severity of the allegation has intensified, as many big men have begun talking about it. Also there's the thing about [the allegation of being] terrorists," Chavalit said.

"Today, many brothers and sisters who demanded democracy are still in jail and feel very uncomfortable. Today, the DSI [Department of Special Investigation] or the security organs have already given the OK sign but they haven't been granted bail. I see this as the worst violations of rights and liberty," he said.

Chavalit added that the anti-monarchist allegation was unfounded as the party is made up of former prime ministers, including three former Army chiefs, who have sworn oaths of allegiance to the throne.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-31

Perhaps Pheu Thai should do something for the people rather then using them for their personal gain.

If Sutheps landslide win is an indication of what to come should elections be held.

Up till now Pheu Thai leadership made many promises to the "grass roots people" as Chalerm likes to call it, but instead brought nothing but broken promises and problems.

Not to mention anyone with half a brain can already see through all the bull that comes out of Pheu Thai

Perhaps Pheu Thai should do something for the people rather then using them for their personal gain.

If Sutheps landslide win is an indication of what to come should elections be held.

Up till now Pheu Thai leadership made many promises to the "grass roots people" as Chalerm likes to call it, but instead brought nothing but broken promises and problems.

Not to mention anyone with half a brain can already see through all the bull that comes out of Pheu Thai

Agree with most of what you say, but i think the downfall of this government, if it happens,might just be that they have been perceived as doing very little to persuade PT supports to vote Dem

Agree with most of what you say, but i think the downfall of this government, if it happens,might just be that they have been perceived as doing very little to persuade PT supports to vote Dem

IMO, the Democrats don't really need to do much ... PTP can't get their foot out of their mouths most of the time.

Once again we see the PTP threatening that their supporters will get violent if their demands aren't met. Once again we see that the PTP's main aim is to get Thaksin back here and him whitewashed of his crimes.

PTP is such a joke. Run Chalerm against Abhisit and see who wins lol.

IMO, the Democrats don't really need to do much ... PTP can't get their foot out of their mouths most of the time.

Once again we see the PTP threatening that their supporters will get violent if their demands aren't met. Once again we see that the PTP's main aim is to get Thaksin back here and him whitewashed of his crimes.

Very sad to see them threaten violence if something doesn't go their way. Not everybody wants to see this current government go away. Some do, some don't. And elections are planned. Just not in the timeframe they want...

I remember a few months back all the red supporters saying PTP was not about Thaksin...well...looks like that's what they are all about. Period. The rest of their "talk" is just a smoke screen for this action.

Once again we see the remnants of TRT exerting it's dictatorial past, threats and intimidation the norm.

Somchai (third right in the photo), btw, is banned from politics.

Disappointing we didn't hear mention of Square Head, ver. 2.0 (far right) in the article, although that's understandable as Payup (what a great name) usually doesn't speak unless his big brother has specifically written his script.

Will Songkran 2011 be the bloodiest one yet over the past 3 years that these terrorists have terrorized the country?

Very sad to see them threaten violence if something doesn't go their way. Not everybody wants to see this current government go away. Some do, some don't. And elections are planned. Just not in the timeframe they want...

I remember a few months back all the red supporters saying PTP was not about Thaksin...well...looks like that's what they are all about. Period. The rest of their "talk" is just a smoke screen for this action.

Indeed violence will not solve anything. but often it is the easiest thing to do. I think it might be a sign of desperation in the PT camp that they fear parts of their 'grass roots' base has been eroded away and this is all bluster and hot air.

My question always has been this. If were to make a government after the next election how would they deal with the violence and protests which would follow Taksins return. Simply saying we were voted in, therefore we can do as we please, is not democracy.

But at the end of the day, this all comes down to the rule of law, which very sadly for Thailand is non existent here. I will hold my hands up and say i ignore most laws, simply because everyone else does including those leaders who are meant to be am example to us all.

Indeed violence will not solve anything. but often it is the easiest thing to do. I think it might be a sign of desperation in the PT camp that they fear parts of their 'grass roots' base has been eroded away and this is all bluster and hot air.

My question always has been this. If were to make a government after the next election how would they deal with the violence and protests which would follow Taksins return. Simply saying we were voted in, therefore we can do as we please, is not democracy.

But at the end of the day, this all comes down to the rule of law, which very sadly for Thailand is non existent here. I will hold my hands up and say i ignore most laws, simply because everyone else does including those leaders who are meant to be am example to us all.

Well Thaksin was back during his last proxy governments tenure.

We all saw the crap going down trying to re-write the constitution

and get Thaksin off the hook. Neither worked, but it cause lots of

chaos in the trying.In the end even controlling a government he

couldn't get it done.

If he were to return, the violence would likely be much greater because

he has less tentacles well placed in the army than before and more

opposition would be inspired to protest loudly after the 2 rounds of

Songkran violence. One reason it would be greater, is he MUST

'take control' or he is in jail, government or not, and so the force used

would not be modulated. We KNOW force is on the table for this crew

since last year, and greater still this year.

Add to this the blatant threats of force expressed regularly by his 'political team'.

White washing Thaksin and letting him take control of another proxy government is

a recipe for carnage, if past patterns and escalation is any indication.

Edited by animatic

Well Thaksin was back during his last proxy governments tenure.

We all saw the crap going down trying to re-write the constitution

and get Thaksin off the hook. Neither worked, but it cause lots of

chaos in the trying.In the end even controlling a government he

couldn't get it done.

If he were to return, the violence would likely be much greater because

he has less tentacles well placed in the army than before and more

opposition would be inspired to protest loudly after the 2 rounds of

Songkran violence. One reason it would be greater, is he MUST

'take control' or he is in jail, government or not, and so the force used

would not be modulated. We KNOW force is on the table for this crew

since last year, and greater still this year.

Add to this the blatant threats of force expressed regularly by his 'political team'.

White washing Thaksin and letting him take control of another proxy government is

a recipe for carnage, if past patterns and escalation is any indication.

If he returns, he will go to jail immediately. And if he doesn't, you are absolutely right about the violence. He has a huge bulls eye on his back. I'm not sure I would want to return here! He would have to drive around in an armored car all the time. His security detail would be huge!

Former-PM Chavalit says that PTP will gain support because "Thaksin cares for the poor" ? Perhaps he didn't notice, but I suspect the voters may have, that it wasn't TRT/PPP/PTP who introduced free hospital-care, or the new old-age pension of 500B/month ? Time for PTP to start thinking, what can they now propose & finance, to help the poor ! As indeed PM-Abhisit and the Dems should continue to do. B)

Or do these former-PMs, now leaders of PTP, actually think their party is ready for an election ?

I would suspect that in-reality they're looking over their shoulders, and seeing that the first 5-year-bans will be expiring in a couple of years' time. Best to try to get into power, and snouts in the trough, before that happens ! ;)

The usurper Abhisit is one of the more despised politicans in recent memory. He is not taxing middle income earners which is hurting the poor.There is no distribution of wealth anymore.Isan wants Thaksin back to correct the balance. If his proxy party does win he will come back. Why would he feel concerned for his safety? Everything/everyone will be arranged (payed off or disappear) before his glorious return at Ol' Swampy airport. Chaos reigns in LOS. Always.

Well said, and where's their policies to develop Thailand and to quickly build equal opportunity for all Thai people? (It doesn't take much brain to realize that better opportunity, to some extent generated by overriding government manifesto which ensures quality education, ensures job opportunities regardless of georgraphy, etc, is one of the main keys to change and to raise the quality of life for a large percentage of Thais currently just surviving.)

Well you can guess what the answer would be if thy were pushed to answer such a question.

The answer would be (as they have already said): "Megaprojects". In other words create more massive budgets to get their dirty thieving hands into.

And of course, jobs for the sons of the man threating violence.

Edited by scorecard

So the Thaksin II election slogan could be Payup Or Else!

Good slogan!

In the other paper this morning, Payup was verifying that Mingkwan is lobbying his brother for the PM position.

It goes on to say that Mingkwan is now in Dubai meeting with Thaksin to that end. It concludes with reinforcing that Thaksin is the one to decide what Pheu Thai Party does, which once again, dispenses with the fanciful notion that Thaksin is not what the Reds or PTP are about.

Thaksin = PTP = Reds

Edited by Buchholz

The usurper Abhisit is one of the more despised politicans in recent memory. He is not taxing middle income earners which is hurting the poor.There is no distribution of wealth anymore.Isan wants Thaksin back to correct the balance. If his proxy party does win he will come back. Why would he feel concerned for his safety? Everything/everyone will be arranged (payed off or disappear) before his glorious return at Ol' Swampy airport. Chaos reigns in LOS. Always.

Very well said...that's why Ahbisit is afraid to call an election....

Why should he feel concerned for his safety - (well apart from getting butt-f**ked in the shower when he drops the soap in the Bkk Hilton), as many of the top people here despise him as much as he despises them. You say the Abhisit is one of the most despised politicians in history, and that is correct, however you need to add the caveat , ..along with Taksin Shinawatra.. to complete your sentence.

The usurper Abhisit is one of the more despised politicans in recent memory.

Abhisit inspires far more indifference than he does hatred.

As far as despised politicians go, the subject of this story could give most a run for their money in that department.

Very well said...that's why Ahbisit is afraid to call an election....

Abhisit an usurper? Abhisit despised? Not taxing middle income earners hurting the poor? Distribution of wealth?

Not sure this is or can be properly documented, but to suggest bringing back k. Thaksin will 'correct the balance' is hilarious.

From a taxpaying middle income earner who has the nasty suspicion he pays more tax each year than billionair k. Thaksin ever did.

But really folks ...... PTP .. the UDD ... DAAD .... they aren't all about Thaksin (the convicted criminal on the run from a sentence for abuse of power (( and awaiting the first hearings on MANY more crimes)))

QUOTE:"Chief Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung said during a meeting of party MPs from the northeast in Chiang Mai that he believed the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration was preparing for an election, judging by the promotions of senior police officers nationwide."

Not so sure about that. Risky for the Democrats. Could (will) get canned at the polls.

Chalerm warns of violent protest if polls not called soon

Indeed words from the masters lips. No doubt his renegade sons will be at the forefront of the violence as it does indeed seem to be a family trait.

Mr.Toilet may well be christened with a somewhat coarser name that would refer to an outside brick building !!

The boy is built like a brick s###house

Edited by siampolee

"Chief Pheu Thai MP Chalerm Yoobamrung said during a meeting of party MPs from the northeast in Chiang Mai that he believed the Abhisit Vejjajiva administration was preparing for an election, judging by the promotions of senior police officers nationwide."

I guess it takes a former police captain to recognize the signs of an impending election. Would that the same could be said about their regular tasks and execution of them.

Good post!

'Pheu Thai needs to be straight' : Democrat spokesman

The next election hinged on the progress of reconciliation and the sincerity of Pheu Thai Party to work within mainstream politics instead of condoning street violence, Democrat Party spokesman Buranaj Smutharaks said yesterday.

"The prime minister has made it very clear that the election will take place as soon as there's a return of peace and normalcy," he said.

Buranaj said if the main opposition party wanted to bring forward the poll date, then it should join and facilitate the reconciliation process.

As long as opposition MPs appear to condone street protests and involve in smears to undermine the judiciary, the poll date cannot be finalised due to concern for triggering a new round of turmoil, he said.

If the party was ready to play by the rules, the Democrats were also ready to contest an election, he said.

Democrat MP Thepthai Senpong said an election could have taken place this month if the red shirts had not incited violence in April and May.

Instead of demanding the poll date, Pheu Thai should remember the date was set once before violence resulted in 91 deaths and property destruction, he said.

He said he suspected an ulterior motive in the demand for an early vote since the main opposition party could not even name its opposition leader, or designate its prime ministerial candidate.He said Pheu Thai was not serving the public but striving to help its fugitive patron Thaksin Shinawatra eluding the law.

Regardless of its policy platform, Pheu Thai just wanted Thaksin to elude his jail term, to get back his seized assets, to receive immunity from further prosecution and to re-enter politics, he said.

He claimed Pheu Thai activities, including its preparations for the next poll, were designed to attract Thaksin's financial backing.

He said Pheu Thai was not a genuine political movement as evidenced by the last week's trip made by its MP Mingkwan Saengsuwan to meet Thaksin in Dubai. The opposition itself brought the trip to light, saying it was meant to resolve party issues and seek Thaksin's blessing for Mingkwan who aspires to become a prime ministerial candidate, he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-01

Abhisit's 2011 social welfare programs (this is merely leading up to his "Cradle to Grave Welfare Socialist State" eta 2016 *if they let him give it to them lol):

Plan to increase civil servants' salaries 5 per cent Q2 2011. The pay raise, which will cost an additional Bt30 billion on top of the present Bt500-billion salary expenditure, will take effect in April 2011.

The government is considering extending cost-of-living measures for low-income earners, including relief from energy costs, while preparing to forgive a massive amount of farmers' debt.

Free electricity, bus and train rides for low-income earners, costs the public Bt4.5 billion every three months.

Originally, in 2008, when the price of oil spiked to more than US$140 per barrel for the first time, the Samak government initiated a total of six cost-of-living measures to help the poor.

Over six months, it spent about Bt40 billion.

Then, the Abhisit government adopted five such measures - free electricity, buses, trains and water and a freeze on the price of cooking gas.

The cooking-gas subsidy was dropped in March, but the Energy Ministry plans to resurrect it for another six months, with the Oil Fund expected to spend another Bt6 billion on subsidies.

On farmers' debts, the Cabinet approved a programme last week under which four state banks will grant a 50-per-cent reduction of debts owed by farmers, provided they join a related career-development plan.

Farmers accepting the offer will be allowed to clear their remaining debts over 15 years with special interest terms equalling the banks' minimum retail rate minus 3 percentage points.

Currently, there are about 80,000 farmers with non-performing loans.

Earlier, the Abhisit government approved a huge subsidy covering 15 years of free schooling. It applies to free textbooks, uniforms and other learning materials.

About Bt6 billion is to be spent on free textbooks; Bt4.5 billion on school uniforms; Bt2 billion on learning materials and Bt4 billion on special activities. Private schools will get Bt1.5-billion worth of state subsidies.

The 2010 budget for free schooling is Bt73 billion.

The government is also planning to introduce a savings-matching programme for senior citizens, covering more than 3,000 communities around the country in which it will set aside funds to match the savings of old people. Currently, the government is providing Bt500 per month to elderly people.

The cost of the farmer-income insurance scheme is estimated to be Bt30 billion annually, covering 3.19 million rice farmers (Bt28.35 billion); 379,785 cassava farmers (Bt2.43 billion); and 379,304 corn farmers (Bt5.63 billion).

Earlier, the government also initiated a programme to relieve the debt burden on poor people caused by high-interest loans.

About 1.19 million debtors registered with the government, representing a combined debt of Bt122 billion.

From January 2009 to April 2010, the government provided tax incentives for property buyers and businesses totalling Bt34.73 billion. It has now restored the special-business tax of 3.3 per cent after reducing it to 0.1 per cent; restored the property transfer fee to 2 per cent from 0.01 per cent; and restored the mortgage registration fee to 1 per cent from 0.01 per cent.

On funeral services for the poor, the Social Development and Human Security Ministry has allocated Bt44.13 million to pay for the funeral rites of 22,063 people who have died of natural causes. Over the full fiscal year, it expects to spend Bt475 million on funeral services for 237,663 poor people.

In addition, the government is reportedly planning a savings programme for newborn babies, who will be entitled to a monthly Bt500 state-sponsored saving programme until they are 18. This will cost the government Bt6,000 per newborn per year.

lol this is the "lapdog of the elites". Who's doing a stunningly cheeky job of moonlighting as the planet's most generous socialist.

But they're not interested in such generosity. They want the guy who 'speaks' to them. In their language. Tells them:

1. All debt gone in 6 months!

2. Next 6 months, I'm gonna make a fortune so nobody has to work!

3. After that, I'm gonna make jobs for your children!

4. Worried about floods? Don't be. I'm gonna build a dam around the whole of Bangkok!

5. We're gonna share the wealth!

6. We're gonna eliminate poverty!

7. And every child will take their own computer to school!

rametindallas

You are to be congratulated on a splendid post, the truth is there for all to see. Abhisit is probably the best Prime Minister this country has ever seen. He took the helm when the situation was indeed a tinder box and he has worked to improve the long term prospects of the Thai people.

No false promise of ''Jam tomorrow,"unlike the mealy mouthed on the run I want my justice ex bandit of a Prime Minister who enriched his and his families coffers and those of his acolytes on the back of the Thai people..

In my twenty years here I find that Abisit is indeed a much needed breath of fresh air and indeed he has injected at long last that much needed elixir of youth into the political scene.

The financial and corrupt predator dinosaurs hopefully have had their day and I do hope extinction for their corrupt self enriching leeching off of the less well to do is finished.

Hopefully the extinction of strange disappearances, mass murders of innocents, and the shielding and indeed the assistance given to family members who kill at a whim then get someone else to take the blame (Chalerm) will also be buried in the past.

This up coming election when it happens is indeed the last chance for the Thai people to make the change from a despotic corrupt patronising political system that has prevailed over the years to a more benevolent more open and honest form of government.

Hopefully money will not rule and dictate the vote and return the corrupt to power where they will gather like vultures to feed upon the Thai people and the country until all that is left will be a stinking carcass of humanity.

Thaksin and his family and their acolytes rest assured will be far away from the stench of the death of freedom and democracy as Thakasin even now, is running from bolt hole to bolt hole whilst his puppets brown nose to his megalomania.

Edited by siampolee