Best Method To Receive Western Radio Stations?

babybruv

Hi

Just joined forum and already have a question.

I'm trying to find out whats the best way to get radio reception in Thailand other than of course using the pc.Does an internet/digital radio work there? I believe its possible to get applications for the mobile phone such as Blakcberries which enables picking up western stations such as The BBC World service or the live footbal broadcastingl stations.Is there such an application downloadable for 'Nokias'? Do any of you guys listen to the UK radio stations, if so how??

Any advice appreciated

thanks

bb

I can not listen to many of my favorite stations from the US, but I can listen to them through iHeart radio on my iPhone. On the pc, it knows I am out of the country, but it does not pick that up from the phone. I don't know about Nokia's though, I don't know if it available on them.

World space radio may be an option but it costs. You need to buy a special radio plus pay a monthly premium for the service.

Edit. Cancel that. I just read they ended service 10 June this year.

Edited by Farma

First

Thanks mods for shifting to the more appropriate IT section.I should have seen that!!...sorry

Also thanks guys for the replies so far.

Doing some research I see Nokia do an internet radio for free download via their ovi store.Unfortunately not for the model in question (6700 classic).I did download it here in the UK for my different Nokia 5800 xp and then found it didn't work.LOL

Also found an interesting post with replies a while back on this forum.

http://www.thaivisa....io-transmitter/

which shows some good examples of internet radios.

Not quite sure how the things work but can anyone confirm you connect the unit via your modem/router giving thousands of radio stations from around the world.In other words its detached from the pc and is stand alone anywhere within range?

I think using this may be the better option though restricts one to using within range of the modem, I assume.

Any of you guys actually got one connected there in Thailand??

Could that be purchased there?

Trying to help a relative out there in TH who badly wants to pick up the live radio broadcasts for football along with other stations.

Many thanks

bb

For music, I use Skyfm or Digitally Imported (DI) ..... all kinds of choices of music genres.... Listen through VLC or Winamp etc... Itunes on a Mac...

You have a choice of Free service in MP3 format, or if paying a yearly subscription Cd quality....no commercials & works well! (not really many commercials on the free service, but that could change as it becomes more popular.... )

From what I can tell it does not eat up bandwidth while doing other things on the internet.

Not being a sports fan, I've never tried to find, but just did a Google search & came up with 365 which seems to list a few sport things from the US. ... Also try Shoutcast, I think that lists a bunch of European radio stations as well...

I am sure further digging would find more sports stuff.... !:)

I can not listen to many of my favorite stations from the US, but I can listen to them through iHeart radio on my iPhone. On the pc, it knows I am out of the country, but it does not pick that up from the phone. I don't know about Nokia's though, I don't know if it available on them.

---------------

You raise an interesting point there.After doing some research it seems if using a Thai ISP address alot of the sort of stations I am interested in cannot be accessed such as BBC Live for sports.Apart from using VPN or cloaking ip addy there isn't really a way around it.So in theory an internet radio is useless for what I'm after.I doubt your iplayer can pick up BBC 5 Live can it??The reason I'm interested in that particular station is that they broadcast alot of the live footy here.Wonder why it doesn't pick up from the phone your abroad?? Are you using your mobile via a us cell phone provider?

I notice Saintofsilence mentions in his reply post 'wunder radio' which looks pretty good on their website ( http://www.wunderradio.com/ ) using an appropriate OS on a phone.But even that doesn't appear to show live broadcasts for bbc five live.

I would dearly like to know if any one there is picking it up.Think I'd better forget the idea.

thanks

bb

BBC Live for sports

bb....The only way of getting stations like this are over a VPN as you mention because BBC 5 Live and others are licensed by sporting event to broadcast only to their home market.

If you were a broadcaster in Thailand and just paid a broadcast rights fee, sold ad space to local advertisers but everyone could listen to another markets broadcast you wouldn't be happy.