Temples

ChiangMai2

Hi, i have got some friends visiting with young children right now. Can anyone please recommend a good place to visit. I've heard of a complex near hang dong but maybe its just ruins? Not sure about that. Which are the most interesting in town? We've been to wat umong and doi suthep,both very good. just looking for other recommendations any help appreciated. Regards chiangmai2

Just visit the usual suspects.. Doi Suthep, Wat Umong, Wat Chedi Luang, perhaps Wat Jed Yod if you have transportation, as well as a random small temple in the middle of nowhere.

There are ruins at Wiang Khum Kam (google it) which is not Hang Dong but city district. Then way out past Sanpatong is another historical ruin site.

Can anyone please recommend a good place to visit.

Wat Chaimongkol near the river is rather nice & highly revered locally, it has a strong Chinese influence that many Lanna Thai's like... don't forget to give the temple cows a good handful of grass.. ;)

which ones do you like the most ?

the one in my village of course... :thumbsup: ....(which will remain a closely guarded secret... :rolleyes:;) )

Just visit the usual suspects.. Doi Suthep, Wat Umong, Wat Chedi Luang, perhaps Wat Jed Yod if you have transportation, as well as a random small temple in the middle of nowhere.

There are ruins at Wiang Khum Kam (google it) which is not Hang Dong but city district. Then way out past Sanpatong is another historical ruin site.

What he says (minus Doi Suthep)

Wat Umong .... nice underground tunnels, feeding fish in the lake is fun.

Wat Chedi Luang ..... very big, very old, impressive statues of dragons and elephants

Wat Jed Yod .... very old and an unusual design

And as Cdnvic advises, my local

Wat Doi Saket ..... nice Buddha, nice steps up, Buddha's footprint in the woods above (17bht on Yellow Songtow)

Wat Doi Suthep .... way out of town, way overcrowded, surrounded by touts and scaffolding.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Defo Wat Umong as the kids will enjoy the tunnels plus there's a pond with turtles in within the complex (west of moat/south of uni):

722.jpg

As suggested, Doi Saket for its murals. You could also do this along with the gardens of Horizon Village (east of town):

OTHERS_71885_19.jpg

Is Wat Doi Kham that other one you see about 1/2 way up Doi Suthep, but situated well to the left/ south side of the mtn ? How do you get to that ? I've been up the Samoeng rd. many times from the canal intersection and never really noticed how to get there. Any tips ?

Not sure that young children are really into temples.

But one of my favourites is Wat Haripunchai in Lamphun.

Wat Pantao , next to Chedi Luang and the wat to the north side across the street from Wat Phra Singh are interesting.

Also the chedi of Wat Koo Tao (near Sanam kila), shaped as upturned alms bowls so I'm told.

Is Wat Doi Kham that other one you see about 1/2 way up Doi Suthep, but situated well to the left/ south side of the mtn ? How do you get to that ? I've been up the Samoeng rd. many times from the canal intersection and never really noticed how to get there. Any tips ?

Have only ever done it on a treader, which involved turning off from the small road that links the reservoir road up at Galae Restaurant down to Wat Umong, skirting around Wat Umong and then sort of heading south southwest. There's a small road that sort of runs parallel with the Canal Road which eventually joins up with it at an angle. Seem to remember there being views over the Night Safari and Floral. How's that for vague...

Not sure that young children are really into temples.

Huh.. of course they are!! Lot's of stuff to do, bells to ring, stairs to climb, gongs to bang, incense to burn, shaking those lucky chopsttics out of a cylinder, can put gold leaf on a statue, can play hide & seek.. Endless fun!

Also the chedi of Wat Koo Tao (near Sanam kila), shaped as upturned alms bowls so I'm told.

Actually it's modeled after Dairy Queen ice cream.

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun ChiangMai2,

With children, would like to recommend the little known (to farangs) Mae Kwan Im Boddhisattva temple which is on the first ring road (superhighway #1141) as you are headed towards Airport Plaza. As you cross over the Ping going west that highway shifts to be more north-west, and about 1000 meters on the left (south) side of the highway from the Ping is where you turn left (thus heading south) and go down about 1.5 kilometers to reach the temple ... the first left past the entrance to Koolpunt Villa 14 ... there is a sign in English, but it's small and easy to miss. Look for a deep rust-red large wall (that borders Koolpunt) to be on the left side (east side) of that road, and if you see the Canon Service Center on your left ... you've gone too far.

A gigantic fantasia of symbols of all of Asia's religions of every "flavor" of Buddhism. A hundred foot long dragon which you can walk through surrounded by murals depicting many stories from Buddha's life. Exit the dragon and you can then enter the behind of an eighty foot tiger and walk through, also full of murals. Giant statues of Shiva. A two story high pavillion containing a beautiful gilded thousand-armed Mae Kwan Im: upstairs a beautiful example a very large Mandalay style Burmese Buddha, and you can pick up a bamboo rod from a basket and circumambulate the perimeter of the upstairs striking bells placed about two feet apart.

Depending on the day and time, there may be some ritual action going on by female Nuns in the main inner shrine which may involve, wood-block "thocking," bell-ringing, chanting.

Yes, this is Mahayana Buddhism here, not Theravada. The founder is a Bangkok woman who went, we're told to Taiwan to become a fully ordained Mahayana Nun, and this is her Chiang Mai headquarters. There are ponds, gardens.

Predict the children will find the place a "wonderland" of images and symbols they'll never forget.

And a nice trip to complement this experience would be visiting the Wiang Khum Kham ruins just a little east of the Boddhisattva temple where you can rent a horse drawn buggy and have a tour of the ruins and then visit the shrine to King Mengrai. You can also see the restored chedi of Wiang Khum Kham which is stylistically related to the very ancient Mon chedi of the semi-legendary Mon Queen, Camadevi, who conquered the aboriginal peoples (the Lavo, or Lawo) in the 7th. or 8th. century to found the Kingdom of Haripunchai in what is now the Lamphun area.

Wiang Khum Kham was Mengrais' first city of Chiang Mai after he was able to consolidate his power over the warring chieftains of Lanna in Chaing Saen; the River Ping shifted and it had to be abandoned: because it was covered with meters of mud for centuries, the excavations have not been spoiled by looting, or plundering for masonry for other buildings. The Chedi has been refurbished and you may note that many of the standing Buddhas in the niches look Burmese, not Mon, in style: that's because they were paid for by a wealthy Burmese seventy-eighty years ago.

Also second the recommendation of visiting Wat Phrathat Haripunchai in Lamphun, and just across from it, imho, one of the finest smaller national museums of Thai art, history, archaeology.

Our favorite Wat of all, is, unfortuntely, a long way from Chiang Mai: it's Wat Phumin in Nan, perhaps the only Wat in Thailand to have four Buddha images arranged to form a kind of delineated space where each Buddha faces out one of the cardinal directions which is suggestive of certain Jain sacred architecture in India, to our eyes. Also in Wat Phumin some of the most revealing murals about Thai daily life that even include a certain sexuality (lesbian contact). Done in unique style, most likely by Tai Yai artisans.

best, ~o:37;

Wat Doi Kham... How do you get to that ? I've been up the Samoeng rd. many times from the canal intersection and never really noticed how to get there. Any tips ?

no need to go as far as Samoeng Rd if coming from the city, on Hang Dong Rd turn right at the traffic lights (as if going to the Grace International School) before the Samoeng Intersection, then go straight over the Canal Rd (traffic lights again) onto Ratchapruek Rd.. (alternatively, cut H.D. Rd out altogether and approach from the city on the Canal Rd itself) at the roundabout bear right skirting the Ratchapruek site.. you'll pass a factory on your right, just after that on the left is the entrance to Wat Doi Kham.. (up the hill)

Its a nice (fairly local for me) place with great views to be had from the terrace.. the large Buddha is quite impressive too..

5136467381_7def5cd600_z.jpg

;)

Wat Doi Kham... How do you get to that ? I've been up the Samoeng rd. many times from the canal intersection and never really noticed how to get there. Any tips ?

no need to go as far as Samoeng Rd if coming from the city, on Hang Dong Rd turn right at the traffic lights (as if going to the Grace International School) before the Samoeng Intersection, then go straight over the Canal Rd (traffic lights again) onto Ratchapruek Rd.. (alternatively, cut H.D. Rd out altogether and approach from the city on the Canal Rd itself) at the roundabout bear right skirting the Ratchapruek site.. you'll pass a factory on your right, just after that on the left is the entrance to Wat Doi Kham.. (up the hill)

Its a nice (fairly local for me) place with great views to be had from the terrace.. the large Buddha is quite impressive too..

;)

Drive to Samoeng, with the market on your right hand side continue driving. You will find a tiny temple in a field on the right hand side. Old and peaceful with a couple of nice walks in the area. Afterwards go back to the market and just past the market on the same side there is a lady cooking Roti. These are the best I have tasted - not greasy like so many of the others and the kids would love em.

Another temple is the one outside SanPatong. Can't remember the name but it is a fascinating place with loads of animal sculptures in the garden and a row of people, plus a huge Buddha lying down and a man-made cave containing more images. It's on the right side 3 or 4 k outside of SanPatong on the road that heads for Doi Inthanon.

One poster said "seen one seen em all". I think the variety of interesting posts here shows that to be a nonsensical statement.

;)

Spot on Goshawk. Wat Doi Kham is indeed a nice spot and it has the friendliest Wat dogs in Thailand.

Another temple to put on the radar is Wat Prae Bha See Roi west and a bit north of Mae Rim. The drive up is very scenic and steep. Definitely not on the normal tourist circuit but it does attract a lot of visitors from Bangkok.