Ice In Beer, Yea Or Nay?

george

PHUKET GAZETTE READERS' POLL  

198 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the practice of putting ice in beer to keep it cold?

• It's fine. It keeps it ice cold
    • It's wrong. Beer isn't meant to be drunk that way
    • I don't know. I don't like beer.

This poll is closed to new votes

As far as I can read on this silly thread, only two people have mentioned the dire consequences of drinking contaminated water (ice). I automatically every time refuse ice in beer for that reason alone...I don't want to take the risk of having ice that contains dog piss. Besides, of course, the act of watering down beer means one is drinking piss, plus one's visits to the pisser will be that much more pronounced.

How do you thank all Thai beer is brewed. It is just recycled piss.:lol:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to you "Ice in Beer" fans but it is not for me, it ruins the taste and makes the beer flat. In fact I avoid all ice as have spent many years in Asia when a young man, about 40 years, ago ice was made out the same water which was not potable. I do not take ice even in a coke.

a few ice cubes here and there, i can tolerate.

ice in my whiskey with a splash of soda, goes without saying.

but, red wine and not a cheap bottle too, in an ice bucket or even worse still, ice cubes actually in the glass itself with the wine. absolute philistines ! annoyed.gif

Nah mate ice in your whisky? Add water if you like a wee splash and certainly no soda.....unless you drink cheapo Thai whisky? :ermm:

Which no doubt you do....carry on don't mind me.....:whistling:

I had my first beer in three years last week while in Germany, so I am hardly one for which others to listen, but I can't imagine putting ice in a beer.

I still have dreams about German beer. It would be a sacrelege to dilute that magic taste. Lager beer was developed to last through the summer months without refrigeration and can be drunk room temperature. Pilsener beer should be as close to freezing as you can get. For me, I learned to drink room temperature beer in New Orleans (we have Great coffee also) but I don't mind ice in my Heiniken or Chang.

Maybe now that Charles Berg is back in town , there may not be a need for Ice. If the fridge coolers were left on over night instead of them saving money and turning them off ,we could have decently chilled bottled beer. As for the pump coolers, regulate them so the beer is COLD not cold-ish .

Taiwan had the most amazing ice cups, the cup was formed out of ice and was set in a plastic holder . voila, freezing cold beer.

Kinda like this but beer mug shaped:

Silicone-Houseware-Silicone-Ice-Cup-Mold-D6171-.jpg

but yeah, ice in beer if the beer is not cold or the room not airconditioned

Well, it's still ice IN it tho. I have some can holders with "blue ice" you can freeze beforehand if ya know.

One might always employ the W.C. Fields method (he HATED his vodka warm)an freeze some proper size ball bearings.

it took me a while to get to it but it think now that the ice waters the beer down enough to hydrate the body .

plus of course it makes/keeps it cold ,if you drink thai beer straight you to have to add water later or wake up with a hangover. the body needs a certain amount of water to process the alcohol, ymmv,of course.

Ice is a big no no in beer. I've drunk beer in many hot countries and Thailand is the only country to put ice in it's beer. Whats wrong with keeping it in the fridge and using a stubby holder to keep it cool. OK, so some people like to drink big bottles, but that isnt a problem as you can buy holders for bottles too.

Beer is intended to be drunk as it is brewed, if more water was needed it would be added to the brewing process. You will never convince me that ice has a place in a glass of beer.

Regards

Howard

Yes...it makes the Heinees last longer and I feel that I havnt drunk too much....One more krup :lol:

If ya drink that swill, ya need ice... more water to make it potable.

Decent beer straight from the chiller, NO big bottles.

Beer is intended to be drunk as it is brewed, if more water was needed it would be added to the brewing process. You will never convince me that ice has a place in a glass of beer.

Agreed BUT as many others have said Thai beer is brewed to be drunk the Thai way. With ice.

Ice in western nbeer is a definite NO

Agreed BUT as many others have said Thai beer is brewed to be drunk the Thai way. With ice.

Ice in western nbeer is a definite NO

IMO American manufactured beer (BUD etc) is a NO NO. Shyt and I'm a yank.

It's all about where you are.

When I'm in France, I drink (and enjoy drinking) Ricard and other pastis brands. Wouldn't touch the stuff when I'm in any other country. Same as retsina in Greece, raki in Turkey and beer with ice in Thailand. It just seems right when I'm in the location.

And I do hate warm beer....