Bangkok At Night Turns Violent Inferno Now

dannishgung

There are really so many vicious attacks against foriegners on the streets of Bangkok recently. One is that another foriegn student at Bangkok University International Division has been stabbed and beat to death on the street. It happened on last Saturday night at Ratchada and Rama 9 intersection. The victim and another foriegn student who was ridding a motorbike was stopping at the red light. All the sudden hords of motorbike kiddy gangs came from behind and stopped at the red light as well and some got off the started stabbing the victim for fun who was a passenger with machetes and knives and beat him with bats on the ground. The survivor who was ridding the bike suffered some injuries said the whole attack last only seconds and the gangs sped away.

The victim died in hospital. And survivor said he is so surprised that the Thai police did not contact him about the murder at all and show absolutely no interest in this case. He said he will try to make the case publicly somehow since police show no interest to solve this kind of motor bike random killing cases because a police told him they see this every night and used to it.

Another case happened right in front of my eyes. It happened in the back of Kao San Road last week or so. A place called Bangkok Bar. I was drinking with 2 friends next to the bar then suddenly saw all the securities were beating the ###### out of a foreign guy. He was covered with blood and lied unconscious on the street and these bar securities still no stop and continued to kick him on the face and his head. From what I saw the guy's face is disfigured by all the kicking. No one help and no police came for another 1 hour or so. And finally a rescue truck came and took the motionless body. I observed the police did not even do anything and did not even question these bar securities who involved in the street lynching that may have take his life or very close to it.

Later I asked a foriegn guy who was in the pub what happened. He told me this poor guy was so drunk and have no money in his pocket to pay for his bill. So one security guy started to hit his head and face and then all of them followed and hit and kick this poor man's face and head for next 30 minutes as he lied motionless on the street without stopping. No police came during all that time.

I hope this poor guy survived but I really doubt he will survive as normal human being again. These Thai guys do not have much individual or independent consciousness or thinking ability, when one of their pals started to pound on one man, and rest of the hord will follow without knowing why. I have seen so many senseless viscious bar fights among Thai guys and all happen like this.

The other case is that a friend of my good friend. He just came to Thailand from Sweden on his second trip to Bangkok. He was taking out money at a ATM near On Nut about 8 PM. Suddenly some thugs smacked his head from behind. He dropped his withdrawn money and his ATM card but was able to run dizzily away to the street and got a taxi and ran away. He suffered massive blow to the head and went to hospital to get a scan. But luckily did not suffer internal bleeding. And rested in his hotel for almost all week before flying back to Stockholm.

Bangkok crime is getting more vicious recent years. Years ago most foriegners only involved in shopping scams or pick pockets, but recently the violent crimes againt foriegners have escalated to a viscious level and almost on a everyday basis. And police do not care at all for some beating of foreigners on the street or in a pub or even get killed randomly by motorcycle gangs on the major public street like Ratchada.

Because of the police and goverment inability and empathy, these street thugs including these low scum bar securities will strike again anywhere anytime against any foreigner.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are really so many vicious attacks against foriegners on the streets of Bangkok recently. One is that another foriegn student at Bangkok University International Division has been stabbed and beat to death on the street. It happened on last Saturday night at Ratchada and Rama 9 intersection. The victim and another foriegn student who was ridding a motorbike was stopping at the red light. All the sudden hords of motorbike kiddy gangs came from behind and stopped at the red light as well and some got off the started stabbing the victim for fun who was a passenger with machetes and knives and beat him with bats on the ground. The survivor who was ridding the bike suffered some injuries said the whole attack last only seconds and the gangs sped away.

The victim died in hospital. And survivor said he is so surprised that the Thai police did not contact him about the murder at all and show absolutely no interest in this case. He said he will try to make the case publicly somehow since police show no interest to solve this kind of motor bike random killing cases because a police told him they see this every night and used to it.

Another case happened right in front of my eyes. It happened in the back of Kao San Road last week or so. A place called Bangkok Bar. I was drinking with 2 friends next to the bar then suddenly saw all the securities were beating the ###### out of a foreign guy. He was covered with blood and lied unconscious on the street and these bar securities still no stop and continued to kick him on the face and his head. From what I saw the guy's face is disfigured by all the kicking. No one help and no police came for another 1 hour or so. And finally a rescue truck came and took the motionless body. I observed the police did not even do anything and did not even question these bar securities who involved in the street lynching that may have take his life or very close to it.

Later I asked a foriegn guy who was in the pub what happened. He told me this poor guy was so drunk and have no money in his pocket to pay for his bill. So one security guy started to hit his head and face and then all of them followed and hit and  kick this poor man's face and head for next 30 minutes as he lied motionless on the street without stopping. No police came during all that time.

I hope this poor guy survived but I really doubt he will survive as normal human being again. These Thai guys do not have much individual or independent consciousness or thinking ability, when one of their pals started to pound on one man, and rest of the hord will follow without knowing why. I have seen so many senseless viscious bar fights among Thai guys and all happen like this.

The other case is that a friend of my good friend. He just came to Thailand from Sweden on his second trip to Bangkok. He was taking out money at a ATM near On Nut about 8 PM. Suddenly some thugs smacked his head from behind. He dropped his withdrawn money and his ATM card but was able to run dizzily away to the street and got a taxi and ran away. He suffered massive blow to the head and went to hospital to get a scan. But luckily did not suffer internal bleeding. And rested in his hotel for almost all week before flying back to Stockholm.

Bangkok crime is getting more vicious recent years. Years ago most foriegners only involved in shopping scams or pick pockets, but recently the violent crimes againt foriegners have escalated to a viscious level and almost on a everyday basis. And police do not care at all for some beating of foreigners on the street or in a pub or even get killed randomly by motorcycle gangs on the major public street like Ratchada.

Because of the police and goverment inability and empathy, these street thugs including these low scum bar securities will strike again anywhere anytime against any foreigner.

Jeez. It's starting to sound like London, or New York or Los Ageles or Much-wilting-on-the-hill, or..........................well just about anywhere you go in the world these days.

Jeez. It's starting to sound like London, or New York or Los Ageles or Much-wilting-on-the-hill, or..........................well just about anywhere you go in the world these days.

Actually not, most places in the world (not all) the police will at least ask a few questions and show some effort in what is in fact a crime, that is their job after all. Any attack on a forang that the police fail to do anything about sends the message it's ok to attack tourists, at a time when the industry is down anyway, this is at least bad for business and worst increasing the chance that you or i might get attacked for no reson at all, be it 2 am or 6 pm and some where you think is safe, no police action gives a free license to hunt in my opinion. In 15 years i have never had a problem, but i am not so stupid as to think i can't have a problem.

I traveled to Phitsanulok, Sukothai,Hua Hin,Udon,Chiang Mai, Bangkok and a few other places in Thailand. Bangkok had a different 'feel' to me than any of the other places.....if that makes any sense. I never felt 'uneasy' anywhere except Bangkok although I felt like in Chiang Mai it was a pretty good idea to watch your back and not get careless.

I think it's a game of numbers. BKK has over 10 million people......bound to be more thugs. I'm going to give Thailand a try soon and live there full time.....but it won't be in BKK....not my cup of tea. I'm thinking Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai as a start.

I live in a tourist area and witness some real lowlife Farangs walking around, a small percentage seem to be looking for trouble.

I even saw a guy at Suan Plu Immigration one day, without a shirt! ######, I felt like beating the crap of of this guy.

well now there's the attitude skipper, did you go and let him know what he was doing was not polite in Thai society? By your post kicking the shit out of someone who may just be ignorant, is far more acceptable than not wearing a shirt? :o Sorry but you are calling him a lowlife then claiming yourself better by offering violence as the option to education...?

I live in a tourist area and witness some real lowlife Farangs walking around, a small percentage seem to be looking for trouble.

I even saw a guy at Suan Plu Immigration one day, without a shirt! ######, I felt like beating the crap of of this guy.

well now there's the attitude skipper, did you go and let him know what he was doing was not polite in Thai society? By your post kicking the shit out of someone who may just be ignorant, is far more acceptable than not wearing a shirt? :o Sorry but you are calling him a lowlife then claiming yourself better by offering violence as the option to education...?

He looked French, so I assumed there would be a language barrier :D

A good slap upside the head CAN be educational.

Bangkok Bar in Khao san i have heard a few things about. Not experienced anything bad there myself but i was hanging around outside one evening and a couple of farangs wandered up to the door and were told they had to pay to get in...they refused, a comment was made but not a rude or aggressive one at all and they turned to walk away.

As they did, one of the securty guys on the door just kicked one of the farangs in the lower back. This farang (quite a big guy) was pretty surprised and did turn around, but muttered to his mate that the guy might be trained in some marital arts or muay thai and just walked away.

I thought the Thai guy was well out of order, the farang did nothing to warrant a boot in his back!

Bangkok Bar in Khao san i have heard a few things about. Not experienced anything bad there myself but i was hanging around outside one evening and a couple of farangs wandered up to the door and were told they had to pay to get in...they refused, a comment was made but not a rude or aggressive one at all and they turned to walk away.

As they did, one of the securty guys on the door just kicked one of the farangs in the lower back. This farang (quite a big guy) was pretty surprised and did turn around, but muttered to his mate that the guy might be trained in some marital arts or muay thai and just walked away.

I thought the Thai guy was well out of order, the farang did nothing to warrant a boot in his back!

i think we've hurt enough about KSR the last week ... :o

Thailand is a violent place--all one has to do is look at the front page of a Thai newspaper. Most of the violence isn't random, that's the big difference (and why BKK and bigger provincial towns may seem safe). The violence is usually pre-meditated, and there's generally more than one Thai involved (dogpack mentality). I think Thai society, as it changes, will become more violent--perhaps on par with the Philippines. There are only one or two things keeping violent-prone Thai people from lashing out-once these institutions are surmounted, or die out, anger will come to the fore. Foreigners are an easy target, and an excellent scapegoat.

If there's a big rise in crime against farang you can pretty well bet it's across the board but Thais not so publicised... - well.. maybe just look at front page of Thai Rath.

The world is in general becoming more violent (see BBC for chip throwing incident in Islington, London).

BUT am I the only one to notice this? Doesn't it seem to be that half the populations of certain neighbouring countries have come to Thailand. I have lived in Chiang Mai for many years and you walk down any street and hear people talking .. its not Thai or English and not even any of the more local hilltribe languages. There is a huge influx of people coming into the country, some legally and some not.

The numbers are astounding. The next stop after Chiang Mai for many is Bangkok which pays slightly better for labour. I have seen and heard of case after case. Some of these people have Baat Dang Dao and some have nothing.

This is certainly fuelling the crime situation.

There is a huge influx of people coming into the country, some legally and some not.

The numbers are astounding. The next stop after Chiang Mai for many is Bangkok which pays slightly better for labour. I have seen and heard of case after case. Some of these people have Baat Dang Dao and some have nothing.

This is certainly fuelling the crime situation.

Are you blaming illegal aliens for crime in Thailand? If so, you've just confirmed what I wrote in my post
Foreigners are an easy target, and an excellent scapegoat.

If Thailand doesn't want people crossing its borders to live/work illegally than anti-human trafficking laws need to be followed by Thai people. Many of the illegal aliens you refer to were brought into Thailand to work illegally by Thai people themselves. If they are the cause of Thailand's violence (which a very small percentage are) than we know who to blame.

It figures that if you have a massive influx of people into the country there will be some kind of percentage rise in crime, but as mentioned above only responsible for a percentage. I totally agrre with you on the above..

My brain was actually working more along the lines of .. how can so many of them get in. Well OK we all pretty much know the answer!

But the sheer quantities at the moment must have repurcussions for Thai society, with more unemployment and forcing actual labour wages down.

It seems to be another short term fix for Thai construction and business where the implications haven't been taken into consideration. Got to keep those economic growth figures on the upward trend whatever the cost.

If my hometown of Leith, Edinburgh had thousands of rich Asians coming and doing what farangs do here, they would be beaten hourly, not daily.

Bangkok is still much safer than any western city, IMO.

I used to wander the backstreets at all hours all over Bangkok for years and only got mugged a couple of times through my own stupidity.

Thailand is a violent place--all one has to do is look at the front page of a Thai newspaper.

Several of the major Thai newspapers like to poste gory stuff on their front page. In other countries, this is discuraged or quite simply not allowed. Hence, it is easy to jump to the conclusion that because your see corpses on the front pages of the newspapers here, it is a violent society.

There are 60+ million people living here in Thailand, there are people murdered here every day.

I'd be more worried about the pollution (if living in a big city like Bangkok), traffic accidents (where Thailand is one of the worst places), pesticides used on fruit & vegetables, etc.

I used to date a nurse from a major hospital in Pattaya several years ago. They had farang traffic accident victims brought in DAILY - mostly motorcyclists. So if you look at the odds.....

If my hometown of Leith, Edinburgh had thousands of rich Asians coming and doing what farangs do here, they would be beaten hourly, not daily.
Really? Sounds like you live in a terrible, intolerant place. What are we doing here that a "rich Asian" (or any other ethnicity) would get beaten for in Scotland, that a native Scot wouldn't?

I used to wander the backstreets at all hours all over Bangkok for years and only got mugged a couple of times through my own stupidity.

Kind of discounts the idea that BKK is a safe place, doesn't it?

It figures that if you have a massive influx of people into the country there will be some kind of percentage rise in crime
It's a difficult situation--if a country is unable to deal with this influx than they need to curb the entries of immigrants and tighten up the borders to prevent human traffickers from passing to and fro. But as long as there are poor people seeking better conditions there will always be someone to exploit them, especially in countries whose ethics are in need of development (even more than their economy).
jump to the conclusion that because your see corpses on the front pages of the newspapers here, it is a violent society.
There are 60+ million people living here in Thailand, there are people murdered here every day.

So...it is a violent society! What society isn't violent? They all are (except in the utopian one between my ears :o )

Edited by frond

Really? Sounds like you live in a terrible, intolerant place. What are we doing here that a "rich Asian" (or any other ethnicity) would get beaten for in Scotland, that a native Scot wouldn't?

Like having our own drinking areas where locals can not get in, where we can oogle naked local women and sh@g them at our will, and treat the local guys like second class citizens. And when some of them have had enough and decide to beat up one of us, complain that their society/race/nation is violent, and that where we come from things are so much better....

Kind of discounts the idea that BKK is a safe place, doesn't it?

Can you name one city on this planet with more than 10 million citizens, anywhere in the world where you would be totally safe walking around in the middle of the night?

Pyongyang excluded, of course........

Like having our own drinking areas where locals can not get in
Did Westerners here make this rule? No, Thais did. How many Thais do you know that would get upset because they can't ogle/shag darkskinned girls?
And when some of them have had enough and decide to beat up one of us, complain that their society/race/nation is violent, and that where we come from things are so much better....

Didn't say my home country (USA) is any better! How could I?

totally safe

Being totally safe is totally impossible. I've walked around BKK very late at night (against the wishes of my wife/mother-in-law)--several times very intoxicated--and have never had a problem. This doesn't mean BKK is safe, it just means I was lucky! :o

QUOTE(frond @ 2005-08-04 11:54:45)

Like having our own drinking areas where locals can not get in, where we can oogle naked local women and sh@g them at our will, and treat the local guys like second class citizens. And when some of them have had enough and decide to beat up one of us, complain that their society/race/nation is violent, and that where we come from things are so much better....

Well said WhiteShiva.

I did live in a terrible, intolerant place. One big reason I came here.

One thing we are doing is having a great time in anothers country.

If I were working hard as a policeman in Leith seeing all these rich Asians spending in one night what I earn in 1 month, I would be pretty jealous, especially if they had no respect for my country's culture. If one got beaten up for being a dick, I probably wouldn't go out my way to help.

Being totally safe is totally impossible. I've walked around BKK very late at night (against the wishes of my wife/mother-in-law)--several times very intoxicated--and have never had a problem. This doesn't mean BKK is safe, it just means I was lucky!

Believe me when I say that I have wandered aroung the worst areas of Bangkok, Prapadaaeng and Nontaburi many many nights alone(and inebriated) and been ok. I guarantee that if I did it one night in a Scottish town, I would be beat up.

Thai people are the most tolerant in the world.

Edited by Neeranam

if a country is unable to deal with this influx than they need to curb the entries of immigrants and tighten up the borders to prevent human traffickers from passing to and fro. But as long as there are poor people seeking better conditions there will always be someone to exploit them, especially in countries whose ethics are in need of development (even more than their economy).

Couldn't have put it better. Looks like there's an awful lot of money being made around the Burmese border then - enough said.

Not good news for the average Thai when there's a huge influx of people coming in accepting less pay when the cost of living is going up. Doesn't exactly look like a recipe for social harmony.

If I were working hard as a policeman in Leith seeing all these rich Asians spending in one night what I earn in 1 month, I would be pretty jealous, especially if they had no respect for my country's culture.

Shall we blame Westerners for this disparity in wages? It's a little more complex than this. Maybe Scottish police should start extracting money from passing motorists for alleged violations!? :o

There was a recent request to the Thai govt to increase the daily wage from 170 baht to 233 baht. Toxin basically said "no, Thai people can exist just fine on 170 baht.' But to his credit he did increase the wage for civil servants 2 baht/day.

Sad...