No More Microsoft Xp Updates

marquess

This morning having downloaded the lastest update, which was a validation tool for Microsoft. I am now unable to get anymore updates, as my copy of Windows is not genuine. I believe that even if you don't download it you are required to inorder to continue getting updates!

Question, is there anyway around it? Does this mean the end of all unauthenticated software re XP? What is the cost of a genuine XP in Thailand?

It's not as bad as that:

The validation tool does not stop you from receiving the security updates. MS has been rather sensible and will allow anyone to get all the security patches. What you don't get are the enhancements and upgrades (eg directX updates).

Seems rather fair to me.

I just read from a workarround:

"Even if I did, to the best of my knowledge there's no way to

change your serial if your have SP2. However, there is a workaround

for both the Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers. Use the attached

file (WGA.zip) and follow the simple instructions and you'll be set."

but I don't have the file! Deleted by my mailserver.

This morning having downloaded the lastest update, which was a validation tool for Microsoft. I am now unable to get anymore updates, as my copy of Windows is not genuine. I believe that even if you don't download it you are required to inorder to continue getting updates!

Question, is there anyway around it? Does this mean the end of all unauthenticated software re XP? What is the cost of a genuine XP in Thailand?

Use the attached

file (WGA.zip) and follow the simple instructions and you'll be set."

I'd be a bit wary about that zip file mate - you only need to post some javascript into the address window of your browser - and I posted it last week - a quick search of the forum should bring it up

That java script did not work for me...

Dammit; I had original XP on my laptop and some jerk back home fixed a crash by doing a re-install with non licenced... Now I will have to re-install the original but I understand I will have some challenges with that too, due to the xp version I have now having SP2 build in...

Cheers!

Here's a way to disable the "Authentication Tool":

In Internet Explorer, go to "Tools\Manage Add-ons". The select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer". Scroll down to the "Windows Genuine Advantage" control and disable it. Exit Internet Explorer and launch Windows Update.

Of course, you may only do this if you have legally bought this crap softw...i mean, Windows XP :o

In Internet Explorer, go to "Tools\Manage Add-ons". The select "Add-ons that have been used by Internet Explorer". Scroll down to the "Windows Genuine Advantage" control and disable it. Exit Internet Explorer and launch Windows Update.

Of course, you may only do this if you have legally bought this crap softw...i mean, Windows XP :o

Go Linux Go!!!

hi'

there are two ways to make sure that you can get windows update with this genuine check.

1. run a licenced windows ... :D obvious ..

2.serach for a tool called "keyfinder.exe" (virus free) and take a look, you'll see your key, the one runnning now.

open the registry and go to :HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/wpaevents , double click on OOBETimer and erase the end of the key value <CA 82 B8 55 D4 04 B5 CF>.

close the registry.

open the keyfinder tool and enter a new valid key.

either you have a valid key and it won't be a problem.

if you don't have one, then you need to :

buy one ... or look for one :D

one hint: the corporate version doesn't need activation, and the serial is in this form : XXXXX-640-xxxxxxx-XXXXX

the serie of low case x have to be a multiple of 7 with a plain number at the end, no zero.

some keymaker are on the web ... anyone can look for it :D

and you can check by yourself if it works :D

mine is xxxxx.640.9082612.xxxxx, and I got the windows genuine stuff.

and once you get it, back it up!

the windows genuine advantage is in C:\Documents and settings\all users\application data\windows genuine advantage\data , save this folder and

to restore it do it in safe mode using the command line.

the validation hey is in C:\WINDOWS\system32 and it's named wpa.dbl this is the activation file.

to restore it do it in safe mode using the command line to copy this file in the system32 folder.

I guess no one forgot the old dos command cp file dest ... ? :o

anyway ... time to try some other OS may be :D

francois

Edited by francois

I still have an older PC lying around, with a Panthip Win2000 installed on it (naughty I know :D )

Anyway, I hooked it to the net recently, so I put on a decent antivirus and wanted to supplement this with Microsofts Antispyware program (which is pretty good I have to admit)

Not long ago you could skip the "validate your windows now" part, but it seems that this is not possible anymore.

So I went for the validation, Microsoft installed some ActiveX thingy and lo and behold, my Win2000 version came up as genuine :D:D

So my girlfriend is happily and spyware free surfing away at the moment :o

You can buy WinXP sticker with S/N in Pantip for 300 baht

hi'

too easy money making :o

I could make a thousands of this labels with S/N working for install but surely not for update :D

that might save you in case of a temporary reinstall, if you lost your number only ...

francois

You can buy WinXP sticker with S/N in Pantip for 300 baht

hi'

too easy money making :o

I could make a thousands of this labels with S/N working for install but surely not for update :D

that might save you in case of a temporary reinstall, if you lost your number only ...

francois

Those stickers were taken from older machine so they work and haven't been blacklisted by MS. They are the real ones so you are clean if you ever get "raided" by BSA.

Unlike your SN generator code where the seeds they produce have been blacklisted by MS.

Is there a simple way for me to change the current non-licenced XP home on my laptop (installed by repair man) to my original licenced XP Home? I have the original license key (on sticker on laptop) but since it had already been activated I would imagine I will run into a problem?

Cheers!

Edited by Firefan

Is there a simple way for me to change the current non-licenced XP home on my laptop (installed by repair man) to my original licenced XP Home? I have the original license key (on sticker on laptop) but since it had already been activated I would imagine I will run into a problem?

Cheers!

here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=17&t=41269#

Cheers!

Limewire/programs/ type in xpprocorp .....it wont go back to the original but it will give you all you need :o

that changes the lot...just go through the steps it tells you...easy

:D

That was a link to this thread? Can you clarify? I doubt enough just to change the license key to the original one in the register? Cheers!

Cheers!

That was a link to this thread? Can you clarify? I doubt enough just to change the license key to the original one in the register? Cheers!

Cheers!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=430683

That post. Using the registry is enough to patch it. It's the same install except the S/N is what determines MS to update or sabotage your setup when you use Windows Update.

Did you think that both install were different ? they are not.

Edited by Butterfly

This article was on boing boing .. cant believe no one read about it !!!

On the update 'Home page' type the below in the adress bar:

java script:void(window.g_sDisableWGACheck='all')

after that click either click 'express' or setup

and u r done ..

Edited by Uncle_Ho

Can you explain what that is doing to the window ? and will it be possible to download after ?