UPDATED Current Flooded Areas & Forecasts

Been chatting with the missus in Surat thani, she is a bit stressed out with the water in the house, but i think i have settled her down. Told her that she is lucky not to have snakes and crocodiles to contend with like we are getting the Queensland floods...............that shut her up :rolleyes:

• Replies 604
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reading the thread it seems I've exchanged Vietnam rain for the Samui ones...

Last winter after 5 years I left Samui for Vietnam, any place north of Saigon was rainy and cold, and when the sun arrived the beaches are cheap but very bad, no sand...

From december to february how was the weather situation in Samui?

I guess I'll have to switch coast, maybe with the summer rain in Krabi I can have a sunny november/december 2011.....

it's pissing down right now in ban tai samui

Where's Ban Tai?

I asked the misses and she doesn't know either.

According to http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/48550.html?MR=1

we are supposed to receive some rain today, but not much.

Lets hope the forecast is accurate???

I'm still trying to pick up damaged material from the last rain,

so I can repair it for my customers.

post-100580-0-92454500-1301982692_thumb.But I need it to dry out first.

• 7 months later...

Not at the top end of the island.

New drains doing ok so far - but still waiting for the big one.

Is there a big storm coming ? can you post the weather link ..

Sorry - the weather link is via my Thai friends. Nearly all of them say "big storm come - one week'. That was a couple of days ago. :unsure:

I trust their forecasting skills more than the professionals :blink:

Not at the top end of the island.

New drains doing ok so far - but still waiting for the big one.

Is there a big storm coming ? can you post the weather link ..

Sorry - the weather link is via my Thai friends. Nearly all of them say "big storm come - one week'. That was a couple of days ago. :unsure:

I trust their forecasting skills more than the professionals :blink:

The forecast has already changed on Windguru, not as severe. But Thai Met still predict heavy downfalls in the South.

Warning

"Heavy rain and strong wind-wave in Southern Thailand"

No. 6 Time Issued : November 22, 2011

During 22-24 Nov, the strong northeast monsoon prevails over the Gulf and the South of Thailand. Torrential and isolated heavy to very heavy rain is likely in the southern east coast from Surat Thani southward. People in the risky area in the foothill near waterway should beware of flash flood and flooding conditions. This areas are warned of Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung' Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun. The strong wind-waves in the Gulf of Thailand is expected 2-3 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution and small boats keep ashore during the period. The high pressure area from China remains over Thailand. Cool to cold weather still continue over upper Thailand especially in the North and the upper Northeast.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 22 November 2011

Issued at 04.30 a.m.

Weather Forecast Bureau, Meteorological Department

Ministry of Information and Communication Technology

Updated forecast:

Warning

No. 14 Time Issued : November 24, 2011

During 24-25 November, the strong northeast monsoon affects torrential rain and heavy to very heavy rainfall in many places of the south east-coast from Surat Thani southward. People in risky areas along foothills near waterways and in lowlands are warned of flash flood. The areas include Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun. The strong wind-waves in the lower Gulf of Thailand from Nakhon Si Thammarat southward are expected 2-4 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution and small boats stay ashore. People along southern east-coast are warned of high surfs.

The ridge of active high pressure and the westerly trough from Myanmar covers upper Thailand. Rain and reduced temperature are expected with continuous cooler weather and frost on high mountains of the North.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 24 November 2011

Issued at 4.30 p.m.

http://www.tmd.go.th/en/list_warning.php

Updated forecast:

Warning

No. 14 Time Issued : November 24, 2011

During 24-25 November, the strong northeast monsoon affects torrential rain and heavy to very heavy rainfall in many places of the south east-coast from Surat Thani southward. People in risky areas along foothills near waterways and in lowlands are warned of flash flood. The areas include Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat, Trang and Satun. The strong wind-waves in the lower Gulf of Thailand from Nakhon Si Thammarat southward are expected 2-4 meters high. All ships should proceed with caution and small boats stay ashore. People along southern east-coast are warned of high surfs.

The ridge of active high pressure and the westerly trough from Myanmar covers upper Thailand. Rain and reduced temperature are expected with continuous cooler weather and frost on high mountains of the North.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 24 November 2011

Issued at 4.30 p.m.

http://www.tmd.go.th...ist_warning.php

Light rain here - maybe Roo knows different-

Rooo only trying to give you a heads up on what the Thai Met is forecasting.Not only for Samui but also surrounding areas that can directly affect Samui residents.

Rooo only trying to give you a heads up on what the Thai Met is forecasting.Not only for Samui but also surrounding areas that can directly affect Samui residents.

light frost due for tomorrow morning .....

• 2 weeks later...
Warning

No. 6 Time Issued : December 09, 2011

The intense high pressure area from China covered the northeastern Thailand and South China Sea. It’s extended to cover Thailand today and expected will covered to 12 Dec. Cool to cold weather with 4-6 °C drops and windy is likely in the area. Cold to very cold and isolated frost occur on mountaintops with minimum temperature lower than 10 degree in many places. People in upper Thailand should take care yourself due to weather change during the period.

During 9-12 Dec, the active northeast monsoon prevails over the south and the Gulf of Thailand. More rain and isolated heavy to very heavy rain is likely in areas. People in southern Thailand east-coast from Surat Thani southward should beware of heavy rain and flooding. The stronger wind-waves are expected in the lower Gulf of Thailand with 3-5 meters high. People along coastal are warned of high surfs, all ships should proceed with caution and small boats keep ashore.

The advisory is in effect for Thailand from 9 December 2011

Issued at 05.30 a.m.

Also check here:windguru

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for the record:

I just reset my Max / MIn Thermometer .... Low for the year in my area of Maenam 18c ...(exactly the same as last year's low) .... Man! that was a cold night! sad.png

High for the year 36 c which is two degrees lower than the highest temperature last year!

One has to wonder if the lack of rain these last couple of months are going to cause water shortages, in the coming year?... or has our rainy season switched to March? Only time will tell! dry.png

18 is cold? Man, I wish we had more days when it was cool, instead of all-year-round sauna....

Can't remember when that was but remember a couple of nights last year needing a blanket ! Right now, it's 25 c although feels much cooler....

I guess once we acclimatise to the tropics, it a whole different thing about feeling cold! One understands why you see locals shivering a lot faster than we farangs do....

Well here comes the rain, finally! a few clap2.gif of thunder throughout the day too... (I don't think it is still fireworks~!) ... . Not so good for the poor tourists wanting the sun.... but nice us local yocals for a change.... smile.png

Flood related?

Be prepared for delays on the ring road at the bottom of the hill by Bandon Hospital Chewang.

The recent road works to install the storm drain across the ring road, and the light showers that we are currently getting means that the road has collapsed in places. Traffic moving VERY slowly and carefully through the pot holes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...