Thai Wife To Vacation In U.s.?

My wife and I were married in the US almost two years ago. We have now been living in Thailand for about 14 months and are starting to think about vacations back to the U.S., etc. What are the straightforward alternatives to allow her to visit this year (if any)? What about making it easier in the long run, with an eventual possibility of us migrating back there?

She has a Ph.D. from the U.S. and worked legally there in her field of expertise (curriculum practical training, I think they call it). I don't know if that changes what approach we should take? I am wondering if she should apply for some kind of multi-entry visitor's visa, or a greencard?

In practice, how long do these things take when we're both living in BKK? Are there any gotchas, or is our situation pretty foolproof?

Thanks for any insights...

My wife and I were married in the US almost two years ago. We have now been living in Thailand for about 14 months and are starting to think about vacations back to the U.S., etc. What are the straightforward alternatives to allow her to visit this year (if any)?  What about making it easier in the long run, with an eventual possibility of us migrating back there?

She has a Ph.D. from the U.S. and worked legally there in her field of expertise (curriculum practical training, I think they call it). I don't know if that changes what approach we should take?  I am wondering if she should apply for some kind of multi-entry visitor's visa, or a greencard?

In practice, how long do these things take when we're both living in BKK?  Are there any gotchas, or is  our situation pretty foolproof?

Thanks for any insights...

Likewise my wife (Thai) and I were married in the USA. She was then immediately entitled to an I-512 (Authorization for Parole of an Alien into the US). After the US does its paperwork (medical checkup, birth certificates, marriage certificate, etc) the alien will get a 'Green Card'.....it takes about a year (longer if done while abroad). Three years later she is entitled to US citizenship.

But, if you just want her to visit the US she should have no problem in getting a multiple entry visa.

If you intend to visit and it appears she will return to Thailand (your post leaves doubts) it should not be hard to obtain a visitor visa. If you and she both have employment here it would probably be a positive and almost sure to be approved.

This is always going to be viewed as a possible attempt to circumvent the normal immigrant visa process if there are not strong reasons to expect a return to Thailand but I doubt it would be a problem with previous history of visa use.

As you have been resident in Thailand for more than a year you can apply for immigrant petition here in Bangkok and obtain an immigrant visa very quickly if you are expecting to return/live in the US/obtain green card.

She is not going to receive a green card in Bangkok. For US residence believe you do have to reside in the US.

OK, thanks. We definitely would be returning to Thailand! I meant we might want to move back some unknowable number of years from now, in case there were different visa considerations to worry about. She's employed here and I'm "self employed" here w/ our Thai company, w/ a work permit and 1 year extension of stay...

Is there a special class of visitor visa for spouse of a US citizen? Or is that just background information provided w/ a regular application? How much lead time do these things require? (I'm wondering if we can possibly make the winter holidays this year if we haven't tried for any visa yet.)

Tourist visa is the fastest. About 60 days from app. date, check at the embassy-they post waiting times. Other visas take 4-6 months.

The tourist visa is always somewhat arbitrary. Applicants are viewed as intending immigrants unless they can prove otherwise. Previous travel to U.S. and her degree is good. They like to look at savings/bank book to see if you make enough moneyand if your jobs are worthwhile to come back to. They can be very arbitrary. Good luck.

Meanwhile I am I the process of getting a fiance visa for my TGF. We've been approved and processed by the National visa center and USCIS who have forwarded the app. to Bangkok(rather quickly I might add only 1.5 months for the first two approvals). On 7-14 they said my fiance would be receiving a packet from the US Embsassy Bangkok with her app. docs for Med exam, police report and whatever.

Does anyone know how long this process takes before we get this letter and whether it will already have the interview date set or does she have to go with the paaperwork to the embassy and submit the app to get an interview date??

Captain Ron

OK, thanks.  We definitely would be returning to Thailand! I meant we might want to move back some unknowable number of years from now, in case there were different visa considerations to worry about.  She's employed here and I'm "self employed" here w/ our Thai company, w/ a work permit and 1 year extension of stay...

Is there a special class of visitor visa for spouse of a US citizen?  Or is that just background information provided w/ a regular application?  How much lead time do these things require? (I'm wondering if we can possibly make the winter holidays this year if we haven't tried for any visa yet.)

Have your wife go to the USA consulate on Wireless Road in BKK...fill out the application (with photos) and she can get her visa in a day or two. Your case is an easy one: both of you have jobs in LOS and she got her Ph.D. in the USA.

I believe all visa requests now must have an interview and that is a 60 day wait currently so you should apply soon. Be sure to include your employment/work permit etc information to support the return to Thailand (although she meets requirements on here own your status should help). You should not have any problem at all and expect you will receive a 10 year multi entry visa so will not have to go through this process again for a long time.

US Embassy instructions