Powerline Kit

LivinLOS

Looking for 200 or 500 Mbps kit.

Going powerline over wifi will give me better connection options for dreamboxes and media players. So going to have an experiment with this.

Need 5 nodes so a 5 pack would be great.

Any domestic suppliers.. Shop4Thai is the only one I have found and its not a great deal.

Is this legal in Thailand?

Powerline can radiate all kinds of unwanted radio signals

as the wires act as an antenna.

There is big controversy over this technology in Europe.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/enforcement/spectrum-enforcement/plt/

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1286250

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1021150

I'd been thinking about homeplugs and so went to the TPLink service centre in Ikon, Chiang Mai. They have the TL-PA201 in stock but I think the lady there said 2700 THB for one. I will go back and check but you can buy a pair on Amazon UK for 41 GBP so that would make them ridiculously expensive.

I'd like to get a 802.11n simultaneous dual radio ADSL modem router but the only one available here (Chiang Mai) is the Belkin Play Max ADSL and according to this review it has a fatal flaw. Maybe a firmware update has fixed it but I'd like to be sure first.

--damole

And Plasma TV's...not LCD/LED!

Usually it is the swtiching power supplies that caus the problems

rather than the TV itself.

I have never heard of a problem with microwave cookers?

I think that was a kind of joke, other sources of leaking RF are energy saving lamps, yes switching power supplies (especially for mobile despite the low output)some remote control etc etc.

Or high voltage lines, connectors (I can tell a whole story about it) and for sure this stupid Power line ethernet.

Cheers

And Plasma TV's...not LCD/LED!

Usually it is the swtiching power supplies that caus the problems

rather than the TV itself.

I have never heard of a problem with microwave cookers?

No, Its true.

Some microwaves can interfere with wireless signals so much that it makes them unusable.

Unless there are some distance issues, or installation challenges, I might consider pulling Cat5 and running standard gigabit ethernet as the equipment is inexpensive (hubs, routers, repeaters etc.), standardised, proven and readily available.

Unless there are some distance issues, or installation challenges, I might consider pulling Cat5 and running standard gigabit ethernet as the equipment is inexpensive (hubs, routers, repeaters etc.), standardised, proven and readily available.

There are install issues..

The only other thing is wifi bridges to ethernet.. Which is kinda sucky in the amount I need to do.

I went back to the TPLink shop and checked the price, it was 3100Bt per unit. I explained that although I knew that Thailand and the UK were not the same that it seemed very expensive by comparison. The lady in the shop's answer was that in Thailand you get lifetime warranty.

I'd never heard of the controversy surround powerline before so I'm back to looking for a decent dual radio modem router.

--damole

I went back to the TPLink shop and checked the price, it was 3100Bt per unit. I explained that although I knew that Thailand and the UK were not the same that it seemed very expensive by comparison. The lady in the shop's answer was that in Thailand you get lifetime warranty.

I'd never heard of the controversy surround powerline before so I'm back to looking for a decent dual radio modem router.

--damole

Yes, I think one should not support this technology. Well done and nowadays WiFi products are well working.

I am very happy with my Linksys stuff, never crashed, but I installed a third party Linux based Bios on the router.

Cheers

--damole

Linksys E2000 or E3000? Dual radio and WiFi up to 300 Mbps.

Edited by lomatopo

If you can afford 6 dreamboxes, you might be in a position to settle all RFI related trouble with the neighbors :-)

Otherwise Powerline is a dead technology, might even not work as fast as in countries with a high quality electric network. And you have to judge yourself if you like to pollute every sqm of your house with constant intermissions ranging from 2 - 130 MHz at least, at uncontrollable field strength (you can regulate the power of unwanted leaking HF).

If I would really need a stable connection, nothing will beat the ethernet cable.

If you can afford 6 dreamboxes, you might be in a position to settle all RFI related trouble with the neighbors :-)

Otherwise Powerline is a dead technology, might even not work as fast as in countries with a high quality electric network. And you have to judge yourself if you like to pollute every sqm of your house with constant intermissions ranging from 2 - 130 MHz at least, at uncontrollable field strength (you can regulate the power of unwanted leaking HF).

If I would really need a stable connection, nothing will beat the ethernet cable.

Its not my house.. Cant run ethernet.. And the pool areas are simply unworkable form the house and will have a media center for music and stuff by the pool.

What actual experiences have you had with this interference ?? Not read maybe online.. But actually seen ??

Cos powerline seems all the rage back in the west.. Getting faster and faster.. and as I point out given by the actual national telco to redistribute net round homes.

I tend to trust the fact that euro has no restrictions.. And the telcos there recommended it.. over a few online reports.

Using Netgear 200mb powerline getting 140mb throughout the condo 24/7 with Thailands dodgy electrical supply/wiring.

What applications require 140 Mega bits per second 24/7?

Streaming high def to the media centers.. I intend to put a boxee box in every bedroom and one the pool sala.. That way the whole house is able to access the media jukebox system.