Seven Magnificent Farangs In Thailand

george

Fr. Joe Maier should definitely be on anybody's list.

There indeed is in my view the number one contender for the title of the best foreigner in Thailand.Wrong of me to have missed him out.

Sad to say as he is not rolling in personal wealth, thus he is wrongly ignored by the foreign pundits, hence the omission of his name.

I am delighted to read that there are some foreigners here who are doing good for the country , other than the rest of us who have been supporting the Economy for years.

I am also delighted. What is more illuminating is the list of other deserving foreigners mentioned in replies to the blog. IMHO, some of those are far more deserving than some of the names on the author's list.

What is obvious, is that the OP is a self-serving post to promote the author's views and preferences. He did not take too kindly to being criticised on his blog, which says it all.

Now, I have to go back to supporting the economy by trying to rearn money faster than my Thai wife can spend it.

Ok, now I'm annoyed. Thailand has benefited from two of the world's best scientists that have forgone the millions they could have made in the interests of saving millions of lives. I guarantee that few if any TVF members have heard of them.

Dr. Nicholas White of the Mahidol Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit at Mahidol University in Bangkok. This Englishman will most likely soon be nominated for the Nobel prize in medicine. It will interesting to see if Thailand takes credit for his selfless work. Dr. White just won the Canada Gairdner Global Health Award. This is probably one the most prestigious and important prizes in science because of the 298 individuals from 13 countries, who have received Gairdner Awards, 79 have subsequently gone on to win Nobel Prizes. Nicholas White won for his research on the effectiveness of artemisinin and its derivatives in the treatment of malaria and for providing the scientific basis for the use of artemisinin combination treatments to cure malaria and prevent resistance. Basically, thousands of Thai residents and for that matter, millions worldwide owe their well being to this man. Ladies and Gentleman, Thailand is sitting pretty to have its first nobel prize winner.

Remember I said it first. :D I had been thinking about putting a blurb in the general section, but said. nahh, it wouldn't be as interesting as a "I'm dating a hooker I met off the internet" thread.

Anther notable foreigner who has helped tens of thousands is Dr. Francois Nosten. He is Director of the Wellcome Trust-funded Shoklo Malaria Research Unit (SMRU) in Thailand, part of the Oxford University Centre for Tropical Medicine.(He is closely associated with Dr. White.) Professor Nosten's work, has led to an effective treatment for pregnant women. Until his research, pregnant women were excluded from almost all available treatments..

Two remarkable people that merit praise and gratitude.

Edited by geriatrickid

"Seven Magnificent Farangs In Thailand"

The private opinion of one single, rather young, Romanian journalist and writer, 32, is worth the news section on Thaivisa ?

The opinion of Mr. Şimăndan is based upon his own education, experiences and marriage to a Thai Lady, not his impressive experience about and in Thailand during many decades.

A Poll amongst longtime expats, business men as well as politicians, bankers and intellectuals from all corners of the world, with a lot of insight in/about Thailand and it's history would, no doubt, bring a totally different list.

Not just the opinion by one man.

That's silly, although he has every right to find those men "magnificent Farang"

But I'm sure there are many other members who know magnificent other Farangs in Thailand; worth mentioning.

LaoPo

You took the words out of my mouth, its one guy's personal blog.

Nothing wrong with posting it here, but still hardly newsworthy.

As to everyone else saying where am I? Write your own list, put your name right at the top..

"Seven Magnificent Farangs In Thailand"

The private opinion of one single, rather young, Romanian journalist and writer, 32, is worth the news section on Thaivisa ?

The opinion of Mr. Şimăndan is based upon his own education, experiences and marriage to a Thai Lady, not his impressive experience about and in Thailand during many decades.

A Poll amongst longtime expats, business men as well as politicians, bankers and intellectuals from all corners of the world, with a lot of insight in/about Thailand and it's history would, no doubt, bring a totally different list.

Not just the opinion by one man.

That's silly, although he has every right to find those men "magnificent Farang"

But I'm sure there are many other members who know magnificent other Farangs in Thailand; worth mentioning.

LaoPo

You took the words out of my mouth, its one guy's personal blog.

Nothing wrong with posting it here, but still hardly newsworthy.

As to everyone else saying where am I? Write your own list, put your name right at the top..

1. random

2. quicksilva

3. the bloke that makes the chips in Soi 8 bar

4. I am struggling now haha

Nothing in the article says anything about their color, only national origins.

I would venture it is up to some other ethnic person to raise his/her game up

far enough to be counted in this list, not to arbitrarily be counted because of their race alone.

But I don't take this question as a serious question from a certain poster,

just more of the serial insertion of divisive comments to stir things up negatively.

10 Magnificent Thai Visa Posters

(off the top of my head)

1 hammered

2 steveromanigno

3 whybother

4 scorecard

5 waytoomuchcoffee

6 rixalex

7 neverdie

8 Thai at Heart

9 insight

10 brahmburgars

Noted for posting well thought out comments and observations,

and never getting banned, no matter what kind of attacks they've suffered.

No mods were added, but only because they are mods (out of category)

and not because some don't have great ideas also.

Is this any more a valid list. Sure from my point of view.

No doubt some others would call for this list

1 jayboy

2 Phiphidon

3 SergeiY

4 Permanent_Disorder

5 Chantorn

6 britmaveric

7 siamsimon

8 LaoPo

9 xminator

10 ColPyat

A typical or typically opposing listing.

I could have done a rogues list of the banned. but why bother.

Does this make one lick of difference>? Doubtfully.

Next, 10 biggest TVF trolls of all time list.

I am sure that would prove interesting

Edited by animatic

Please feel free to submit those kinds of threads. It can't all be about girls and double pricing.

May I just add cdnvic I feel that there aren't enough threads that, rather than taking them on their own merits, compare every fault/corrupt practise/rights abuse/whatever committed by the Dems as being not as bad as Thaksin Shinawatra. Riveting stuff. As in it makes you want to rivet your nuts to a table rather than read them.

I'm waiting for the day when the headline appears " PRIME MINISTER ABHISIT LOSES THE PLOT AND MOWS DOWN 50 CHILDREN WITH AN M-60 IN VISIT TO ORPHANAGE " and a TVF member posts " But Thaksin's war on drugs killed 1000s"

do we get a follow up with

Seven Magnificent Blackmen in Thailand

and

Seven Magnificent Chinamen in Thailand

Why?

Seriously why? If I am discussing white people why do I need to redress the balance and discuss other races when they were not part of the conversation, If I say Fernando Torres is a word class footballer, do I then have to also name a black player? and if I don't name a black player am I racist?

I agree. I don't know and have never heard of any of these people but 50% could be black for all I know. I guess for the sake of political correctness you should add a black man and woman, Yellow and reds as well, A Catholic, Jew, Muslim, hetro, bisexual, gay and dwarfs. If these seven have been chosen then congrats to them.

I am breaking here my own promise to myself when I started reading forum. I told myself I would never get involved in arguments or complain or criticize. But here I go anyway. I will not use name but it seems a person here already complains and criticize before he even read this article. What is the point of that? Is this is what is meant by troll? Sometimes I turn on forum in morning, and this man has just written posting. Usually several. Then sometimes I do it in afternoon and same thing. Nighttime too. Is it possible more than one person using same name. I do not see how as have to give email. Perhaps this man is disabled or invalid and cannot leave house and in that case I apologize and am sorry. It is possible this man is not even in Thailand. it is very beautiful country and now the weather is cool and ver ypleasant. it is good to get outside and walk around if you can and live life. Maybe he has laptop and carried it everywhere. Somehow this depressed me and I am not sure why.

Anyway as to topic I am happy farang here are mentioned in a positive way instead of usual stories of criminals and perverts. Whether maybe someone else should be on list is not important. I know there are more than 7 farang who help Thailand. They cannot all be on list.

I must agree with the first paragraph of your post. Many of us are tired of it. We actually try to answer peoples questions and help, not just post nonsense. I've had enough of that..

Back to the topic and the title: Why use farang in the title? Just because it is the Thai word for western foreigner. Why not just say westerner as that is the translation for ฝรั่ง... And congratulations to those westerners who where recognized..

8. Winslow Hedgehog 3rd - Unsung hero. Not much is known about Winslow prior to his arrival in Thailand some years ago. Some say he was builder, mechanic or even a teacher. Some say he was only a shell of a man before he rebuilt his life in the LOS. Regardless of where he came from or his background he has become a household name in villages, towns and cities across Thailand. Some admire and love him and others hate him. Winslow has worked tiredlessly in the field of economics, social services, enviroment and law. He has never asked for nor has he recieved any acalades. He has never received payment for his services and prefers to use his own funds. He supports the brewies and bars. He keeps many women gainfully employed and of the streets, he supports numerous thai families and cares for thie livestock and has no hesitation to contribute to local police charities.

Yes Winslow is an unsung hero in Thailand and next year I think he will give the magnificent seven a shake. :rolleyes:

I am breaking here my own promise to myself when I started reading forum. I told myself I would never get involved in arguments or complain or criticize. But here I go anyway. I will not use name but it seems a person here already complains and criticize before he even read this article. What is the point of that? Is this is what is meant by troll? Sometimes I turn on forum in morning, and this man has just written posting. Usually several. Then sometimes I do it in afternoon and same thing. Nighttime too. Is it possible more than one person using same name. I do not see how as have to give email. Perhaps this man is disabled or invalid and cannot leave house and in that case I apologize and am sorry. It is possible this man is not even in Thailand. it is very beautiful country and now the weather is cool and ver ypleasant. it is good to get outside and walk around if you can and live life. Maybe he has laptop and carried it everywhere. Somehow this depressed me and I am not sure why.

Anyway as to topic I am happy farang here are mentioned in a positive way instead of usual stories of criminals and perverts. Whether maybe someone else should be on list is not important. I know there are more than 7 farang who help Thailand. They cannot all be on list.

I must agree with the first paragraph of your post. Many of us are tired of it. We actually try to answer peoples questions and help, not just post nonsense. I've had enough of that..

Back to the topic and the title: Why use farang in the title? Just because it is the Thai word for western foreigner. Why not just say westerner as that is the translation for ฝรั่ง... And congratulations to those westerners who where recognized..

I have noticed that when i have spoken to Thai people who live here in the UK they still use the word farang when they are talking about us as farang means foreigner i assume they don,t have another word for us, i find this strange because in there case they are the foreigner's.

edit to add that the writer of the article is Romanian, not a western speaker, his number one on the list is French.

In my linguistic understanding, Romanian is as 'western' as French - it is a 'Roman' language after all...

Congrats to Aaron for being on the list. He's a great guy and very deserving of this honour

Simon

I have noticed that when i have spoken to Thai people who live here in the UK they still use the word farang when they are talking about us as farang means foreigner i assume they don,t have another word for us, i find this strange because in there case they are the foreigner's.

Japanese, Chinese and other asians are considered foreigners here but they are not referred to as a farang. The word farang refers to western people.