Extension Based Upon Supporting A Child

Hello there, i am looking for help on this type of visa? Non- immigrant "O" visa application. based upon supporting my child.

My girlfriend recently gave birth to our child, a baby girl(we are not married) and we completed all documentation in her local area, birth certificate (in my name) and house book, etc.

I am currently on a double tourist visa and need to extend final time (extra 30 days, shortly). 19th this month and i want to change over to a different type of visa?

I have read, back through various, previous posts, etc and wonder if you could advise me, more. I have also seen, read, various different, account, rumors, etc. (has anyone experiance in this type of visa, stay).

Application for further stay for a non-Thai father or mother to support children who are Thai Citizen

Required Documents

1. Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  2. A copy of passport
  3. A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  4. 1,900 baht application fee
  5. Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  6. Evidence presenting financial status:
    • Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

[*]A record of interviewing the applicant

The officials reserve the rights to examine or ask for additional documents if necessary

In most cases, the request will not be approved if the non-Thai parents sponsor an adopted child who is a Thai citizen

I have money in the bank, etc.

I have herd about, local court? fathers rights, etc.

QUESTIONS

1. has anyone done this visa (as to rules above). what are the chances, getting this visa?

2. when you apply, you have to wait 3 weeks, for answer, what happens if no, you are left with no visa at all?

3. what is the process, documentation, needed? - rules above.

ALTERNATIVE VISA - outside of Thailand - what is the process.

1. can i obtain a visa in Lao, Vientiane lets say. - with what documents?

2. what type, how long is visa, can you extend, it later in Bangkok? for how long, again process to extend.

Please could you advise me, with any help? i would be grateful.

many thanks, for your support.

The birth certificate is not enough, as you are not married. You will have to go to court and file a petition to be recognized as the legal father of the child. When the mother of the child supports that, it shouldn't be much of a problem. But it will cost some money in legal fees and will take a few months.

With the custody order you can get the extension of stay.

Being named on the birth certificate is enough for getting a non-O visa based on your child. This will give you a stay of 90 days. It is doubtful you will get a multiple non-O visa from a consulate in a neighboring country, but you can always try. Australia is a better choice for a multiple non-O.

Vientiane should give a non-O, which will give you a stay for 90 days. If you manage to get the custody order in that period you can get an extension of stay based on the child. That would require an income of 40,000 baht a month (can be from abroad) or 400,000 baht in a bank account in Thailand in your name.

For the visa from Vientiane you will need the birth certificate, a copy of his registration in the household book and a short letter from the mother asking for a visa for you as the father of the child wouldn't hurt. As said, you can try to get a multiple non-O. That means that during 1 year you can travel to Thailand as often as you want and each time you do you can stay for up to 90 days.

Thanks Mario, your reply?

still a little confused? though

can i get and 90 days extension from Immigration in Bangkok? firstly,

also rules, law only state birth certificate? nothing else, has anyboby tried this way at all? or is it just rumors?

also 90 days visa from Lao, if i go, can you extend further in Bangkok after 90 days?

Does anybody know of where court is? (i live in Bangkae) or a good solictor, (contact details) who has been through process of family court.

many thanks, your help

(4) In the case of a child, adopted child or child of his/her

spouse, the said person must not be married, must be living with

the family, and must be less than 20 years of age; or

The above is the requirement. As new born is unable to confirm where/with who they are living the normal procedure is to have court paperwork confirming and this can take some time. There is a 60 day extension of stay available at the end of tourist or other entries to visit which can be obtained.

So yes you can extend a normal 90 day visa entry for another 60 days at Immigration but then a new exit and entry would be required.

Thanks Lopburi reply/.

sorry to be a pain/. (little confused).

after i extend my current (double tourist, final 2nd time) visa on 19th, can i get a further 60 days extn? when do i do this before 22nd December? when my current visa finishes? or any time.

what extn i ask for, what forms, is this based upon child, support?

what is the process?

I extend my current double tourist visa on the 19th for extra 30 days (finishes then on 22nd December?)

Required Documents
  • Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  • A copy of passport
  • A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  • 1,900 baht application fee
  • Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  • Evidence presenting financial status:
    • Bank pass-book, bank statement certifying amount of money in the applicant's account, a certified documents of money transferring from oversea or evidence of income with related documents

i took all the above to the samut prakarn immigration office. i have a court judgement stating a have custody of my daughter 5 days a week. i was told i need the house book with my daughters name on it and 4 photo's (2 copies of each) of me and my daughter in front of the house, in the garden, in the living room and in her bedroom. they said if her mother came it would be much easier.

as we are no longer together i said i highly doubt she would be so helpful. the immigration officer phoned and asked her and to my amazement she agreed to go with me on the 19th october

19th october came and she was nowhere to be found so i went to the immigration office again to explain and ask what my options were. i had the pleasure of sitting at a male officers desk for nearly 2 hours knowing full well i wasn't going to get a visa. he even stepped out to lunch for 30 minutes. all i wanted him to say was. "you have to do this".

after going through my paperwork he said if i get my daughters name on the house book or bring her mother in and bring the photo's and a a new letter from the bank with updated passbook with 400k + in it they would issue me with a 12 month visa.

today i went there with my daughters mother and all the paperwork required. as soon as i entered i noticed the nice, helpful officer wasn't there and the guy that "served" me last time told me to take a ticket and take a seat. when my number was called i had to see him. i noticed immediately that he looked pissed off. the first thing he said was "where's your ticket? you need a ticket to see me!" i gave him my ticket and tried to jog his memory that i sat with him the previous week for 2 hours. "i don't know what you want? what do you want? i explained i had come hoping for a 12 month visa and that i had all the necessary paperwork and my daughters mother in attendance. "yes i remember you, what did i tell you last time?" i told him what he told me last time and what i had been told the previous time. "I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT!!" um... yes... you did and the lady i spoke to 4 weeks previous told me the same. "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I SAID! I TOLD YOU YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY!" well, if you had told me that i would of done so as i am not in the habit of completely wasting my time for no reason..."

on the previous visit the very last words he said to me were "when you have the pictures and letter from the bank and the necessary paperwork or your wife in attendance (she was never my wife) you can come back anytime" i remember vividly as he got up from his desk and walked with me outside for about 20 metres

just before i left empty handed once again he spoke to my daughters mother. he told her that i have to leave the country and that is what he told me last time. i said so why did an immigration officer call her and ask her to attend so i could get a visa and lake care of my daughter who stays with me 99% of the time? why did you tell me to take the photographs? no answer...

on that note i felt it was best to leave as a free man rather than in handcuffs...

even the immigration officers are liars and completely incompetent (generalization). i now have 2 weeks left on my 2 month extension of my immigrant "o" visa

sorry to post all this here, i just wanted to give the op a heads up on what paperwork is actually needed. even though there's a chance you still won't get a visa...

I got a non immigrant visa for supporting my children.

I am not married to the mother.

All I was asked to do was to provide the childrens birth certificates, family photos and evidence of money.

That's all.

This is from the immigration in Nakhon Si Thammarat, so I guess the rules differs from other provinces.

I got a non immigrant visa for supporting my children.

I am not married to the mother.

All I was asked to do was to provide the childrens birth certificates, family photos and evidence of money.

That's all.

This is from the immigration in Nakhon Si Thammarat, so I guess the rules differs from other provinces.

Seems you got an extension of stay from immigration. Without proof of custody, that is indeed unusual. But as you say, different offices different interpretation of the rule.

Th P.O. 777/2551 Extension 2.18 'In the case of Family Member ...' states at 4) that the child ... must be living with the family (Isaan Lawyers trans.)

Regardless how well your circumstances comply with the published regulations for 'O' Visa and 2.18 Extension from BofIMM, you may anticipate as a social policy that the officers involved might not be overwhelmed with joy at the prospect of assisting you with all courtesy at their disposal -- regardless of your current and future financial assistance to the child -- in that you have left another unmarried Thai woman with a child to raise and support ...

When I posted about this previously, I was informed that if I was present at the registration of the birth at the Amphur office then there was no need to go down the court route.

Can somebody lease clarify this both for me and the original poster.

When I posted about this previously, I was informed that if I was present at the registration of the birth at the Amphur office then there was no need to go down the court route.

Can somebody lease clarify this both for me and the original poster.

That was, unfortunately, wrong information. The procedure of legitimising a child is explained here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/381917-how-to-gain-parental-rights-as-a-father/

I am not married and our son was born in Australia.

He does not have Thai birth certificate or passport yet.

I went to the family court, cost 40k baht from memory about 6 years ago, got the paperwork to recognise him as my son here.

Got visa in support of thai child each and every year since, although there was one year about 3 years ago where they denied it because of their changes to the rules.....I did not listen to their claims and continued the process.....eventually got it again after 7 months of haggling.

I since had another child born here and I did not have to go to court to be recognised as her father and she is used on my visa application now for simplicity.

Edited by Nawtier

Just for your information. Your son can't get a Thai passport or ID-card without a Thai birth certificate, which can only be obtained form the amphur where the child was born. In the case of being born abroad, the local Thai embassy functions as amphur and is the sole authority to issue the Thai birth certificate.

Best is to apply for the Thai passport at the same time, but this will take some weeks.

Yes, i know and to compound this...my name is spelt differently on the house book and his birth certificate which was translated into thai and stamped.

Then add that you have to send original documents to the location abroad to get the Thai birth certificate.....passports, ID cards, BC, etc etc......don't like that idea.

UPDATE - many thanks for your advise - help

I have located a lawyer now and he imforms me that (we don't have to go to court now).

We are going to the local district office (Amphur) to registor a legal father now, next week, (he sees no reason, why not) with all my correct paperwork they will issue a document, for me to be reconised a legal father.

This document i can use at immigration, for my visa. (about 10k for services).

I will see what happens and keep you imformed

That will be interesting, as the law requires the child to be old enough to give consent. But different amphurs have different interpretations of the rules.

The document itself should be free or perhaps 20 to 50 baht for a copy of the registration, the K.R. 13 form. The rest is your lawyers fee.

Yes, i know and to compound this...my name is spelt differently on the house book and his birth certificate which was translated into thai and stamped.

Then add that you have to send original documents to the location abroad to get the Thai birth certificate.....passports, ID cards, BC, etc etc......don't like that idea.

Contact the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, consular section. I have heard that you can also apply for a birth cerificate through them and they will send the application to the embassy in question for further processing. But I don't know the details, as the person in the case I know of didn't go through with it as he suddenly had to go back to that country anyway.

Don't we all wish there were an easier way? I have two kids, a Non Imm B, a Work Permit and house and business in Thailand but all in my wife's name 'cos it is simply just too hard to do it all to simply be on the paper! So every year some ole... trek to Immigration and we start over. Oh well, it is preferential to my home country... warts and all.

In have also had experience at Samut Prakan, after sitting like you for a couple of hours and the immigration saying, WHAT DO WANT? after 9 years in the country I got a stamp to leave in 7 days, off course this is thailand, and I left with the 7 days crossed out and now a sixty day extension awaiting decision. Now prizes for guessing why the change of heart????

Required Documents
  • Immigration form 7 (Tor Mor 7)
  • A copy of passport
  • A 4 cm. X 6 cm. Photograph
  • 1,900 baht application fee
  • Evidence indicating the parental status; birth certificate or a Judical Custody order of the child
  • Evidence presenting financial status:

i took all the above to the samut prakarn immigration office. i have a court judgement stating a have custody of my daughter 5 days a week. i was told i need the house book with my daughters name on it and 4 photo's (2 copies of each) of me and my daughter in front of the house, in the garden, in the living room and in her bedroom. they said if her mother came it would be much easier.

as we are no longer together i said i highly doubt she would be so helpful. the immigration officer phoned and asked her and to my amazement she agreed to go with me on the 19th october

19th october came and she was nowhere to be found so i went to the immigration office again to explain and ask what my options were. i had the pleasure of sitting at a male officers desk for nearly 2 hours knowing full well i wasn't going to get a visa. he even stepped out to lunch for 30 minutes. all i wanted him to say was. "you have to do this".

after going through my paperwork he said if i get my daughters name on the house book or bring her mother in and bring the photo's and a a new letter from the bank with updated passbook with 400k + in it they would issue me with a 12 month visa.

today i went there with my daughters mother and all the paperwork required. as soon as i entered i noticed the nice, helpful officer wasn't there and the guy that "served" me last time told me to take a ticket and take a seat. when my number was called i had to see him. i noticed immediately that he looked pissed off. the first thing he said was "where's your ticket? you need a ticket to see me!" i gave him my ticket and tried to jog his memory that i sat with him the previous week for 2 hours. "i don't know what you want? what do you want? i explained i had come hoping for a 12 month visa and that i had all the necessary paperwork and my daughters mother in attendance. "yes i remember you, what did i tell you last time?" i told him what he told me last time and what i had been told the previous time. "I DIDN'T TELL YOU THAT!!" um... yes... you did and the lady i spoke to 4 weeks previous told me the same. "DON'T TELL ME WHAT I SAID! I TOLD YOU YOU HAVE TO LEAVE THE COUNTRY!" well, if you had told me that i would of done so as i am not in the habit of completely wasting my time for no reason..."

on the previous visit the very last words he said to me were "when you have the pictures and letter from the bank and the necessary paperwork or your wife in attendance (she was never my wife) you can come back anytime" i remember vividly as he got up from his desk and walked with me outside for about 20 metres

just before i left empty handed once again he spoke to my daughters mother. he told her that i have to leave the country and that is what he told me last time. i said so why did an immigration officer call her and ask her to attend so i could get a visa and lake care of my daughter who stays with me 99% of the time? why did you tell me to take the photographs? no answer...

on that note i felt it was best to leave as a free man rather than in handcuffs...

even the immigration officers are liars and completely incompetent (generalization). i now have 2 weeks left on my 2 month extension of my immigrant "o" visa

sorry to post all this here, i just wanted to give the op a heads up on what paperwork is actually needed. even though there's a chance you still won't get a visa...

What was the age of children for the extension of stay you received? That can make a big difference.

1 son 3 years old and 1 son 8 months old.

I also have a 1 year work permit in connection with this visa, which I also think is quite unusual?

Not meaning to hijack this thread but can someone with this type of extension (support of a child) have a work permit issued to them?

Yes, I got a 1 year work permit....no problems with that from Nakhon Si Thammarat at least..... nice labor officers here....

What was the age of children for the extension of stay you received? That can make a big difference.

1 son 3 years old and 1 son 8 months old.

I also have a 1 year work permit in connection with this visa, which I also think is quite unusual?

Nothing unusual, only with a non-O and an extension based on retirement you won't get a work permit. With an extension based on marriage it is no problem.

Not meaning to hijack this thread but can someone with this type of extension (support of a child) have a work permit issued to them?

I think this may be possible, since it is certainly possible to get a work permit with an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai national. Most people prefer to get a non-imm B visa for a work permit because this doesn't involve so much paperwork, money in bank or the need to bring wife or kid to Immigration every year. However, it creates more problems, if you become unemployed.

Edited by Arkady